Draker

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

I bought a head and intake from a guy at powerland. The cam was rusted from sitting around. Took me a while to get it town down but I was able to remove it from the cam towers. I had to remove the towers but all is well, it’ll be headed to the machine shop for a rebuild to go with the new lower end. Farmer was kind enough to give me a used u20 cam, here it is pictured in the head. 

im expecting some of the head parts will need replacing due to rust or corrosion. All good.

IMG_4354.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...

Slow progress.. but progress. Masked and painted the block. Looks patchy but it’s glare from still being wet.

I got the head back from the shop. Needed to paint before they get bolted together. Pics of that later.

IMG_4965.jpeg

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

Got the head back a while ago. Finally doing something with it. New seats, new cam, resurfaced the rocker arms, replaced springs and valves with good used. Skimmed the intake and bottom side.

all in, around $700 I think.

IMG_5120.jpeg
IMG_5121.jpeg
IMG_5122.jpeg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I'm outraged at the price, but time moves on everything costs more. W53 was an EFI head in Japan. I think the earliest was the mid '70s 610.

no doubt. It’s pricey! The other thing is they are one of the only remaining shops in town doing this work. They could charge whatever they want honestly. 

w53 is an efi head. I have the intake as well. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Draker said:

no doubt. It’s pricey! The other thing is they are one of the only remaining shops in town doing this work. They could charge whatever they want honestly. 

w53 is an efi head. I have the intake as well. 

I assume that intake is hard to find, I have been running a w53 head for a few years now.... i would love to do a proper efi conversation.....

• Like 1

I've seen 280z intakes cut up and welded to make it a 4 cylinder. Some L28 intakes were better than others. Having the original would be ideal!. Even better would be individual throttle bodies. Ooooh the sound

I got a cam from Farmer for this build, however the machine shop rejected it. They ordered a new OEM spec cam from Delta Cam in Portland. Well.. after trying to fit the timing gear on the cam, something was off. The gear doesn't fit. I figured I'd use the bolt to press it on, since it was pretty close to the right size. The bolt doesn't thread in either. Looking at the threads, they almost look reverse threaded. Looks like the cam the shop ordered is just a bit off. I called the machine shop, they are tracking down another one to replace it. Bummer, but they are making it right.

• Like 3

Are you talking about Delta Cams in Tacoma, WA, or someone local?   I just had an L20B (U20 cam) reground by them for only $50.  It had only minor pitting, but they sold me on the regrind since it was already there for them to clean and check it.  Maybe worthwhile to regrind the one you have (since you didn't mention the reason for rejection).

They also resurfaced 23 rocker arms for only $5 each.  👍

Edited by iceman510
grammar correction
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, iceman510 said:

Are you talking about Delta Cams in Tacoma, WA, or someone local?   I just had an L20B (U20 cam) reground by them for only $50.  It had only minor pitting, but they sold me on the regrind since it was already there for them to clean and check it.  Maybe worthwhile to regrind the one you have (since you didn't mention the reason for rejection).

They also resurface 23 rocker arms for only $5 each.  👍

Yeah that must be the place. The machine shop handled everything. I thought they said Portland, but must have been Tacoma. They sent the rockers there too. We’ll see what comes back regarding the cam. I have two cores that can be serviced if needed. 

the cam they ordered says Japan on it. And I can see what looks like u20 kinda.. which would be correct. I’m puzzled. Will hopefully know more next week.

I bought some seats today. Might have wasted my money. They are from a 2022 Mach 1 mustang.

They looked good. Might be too big. They are power seats. Heated and cooled. We’ll see if they end up in the truck, or I resell. The airbags deployed. Not an issue. Plan to stitch it back up. Not needed in this case anyway. 

IMG_5133.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Farmer said:

Sorry about the cam.  At least it was free, lol

honestly, I think it was totally usable. They are just being picky.

I got a call from the machine shop today. New cam was in. It's slightly different. not a U20. It's marked 210. Which is an L16 cam. I may call Delta tomorrow and see if they just grind them all to the same spec. Otherwise, I'm guessing an L16 cam will not have the same performance as the L20(U20) cam?

Either way, cam is in. Timing set it on. It's moving forward.

Depending on what grind they made, they can probably use a 210.  Delta does offer a few different regrinds.  But you will end up needing thicker lash pads, as more has be ground to get the lift on smaller cam to start with.

3 hours ago, iceman510 said:

Depending on what grind they made, they can probably use a 210.  Delta does offer a few different regrinds.  But you will end up needing thicker lash pads, as more has be ground to get the lift on smaller cam to start with.

I called them just now and they confirmed all the 4 cylinders they grind the same and to the U20 profile. I'll probably measure both the 210 and U20 just to verify. Nice folks at Delta, very helpful.

3 hours ago, Draker said:

Nice folks at Delta, very helpful.

They have been very cool with me too.  I need to call them back and ask if they have a cam card for the grind they did for me (they called it their 272 grind).

• Like 1