price for dizzy

nissan720

is 250.00 to much to pay for a matchbox dizzy from a 1979 datsun 620? i got my eye on one about 3 hours from my house.i have not heard the engine run that it is in.i believe i was told one from a 210 would work if you change the drive gear.just want to have a spare on hand.Or can i get a point dizzy and put an electronic conversion in it?thanks for all the response in advance

Edited by nissan720
  • Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes. $100 would be better. What are you putting it into??? A 210 is identical but the gear and roll pin has to be removed and the bottom plastic collar from a points distributor should fit on.

I think a Pertronix would be good enough. You need to use your points coil and ballast. All the Pertronix does is eliminate the points. It doesn't improve the spark like the matchbox.

• Like 1

It will not work for a replacement distributor on your 720.

If it is for a 620 then that is kinda spendy, but they are getting harder to find all the time.

I believe a MG Midget/MGB distributor will also work if you change the drive gear like Mike described, but I have never tried it myself, I have used MG distributors in the E1 and J13/15 series engines, I also used a matchbox in my 1963 E1 engine with the 320 E1 distributor drive gear on it.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

my 720 has a ka24 engine in it and its finally working pretty good.i just want a spare,but don't want to pay 250.00 that's way over pricey. if i can get a rebuilt 210 matchbox dizzy for what i see going on line.then that's the best way to go.i know it's some good used parts out there but that many miles and i can't hear the motor run that it came out of.to pricey of a chance i am not willing to take.Thank's for your input greatly appreciated. i will look for MG'S now!!

• Like 1

Like I said, I have never changed out the drive gear on the MG Midget/MGB distributor, the shaft is exactly the same size, but the roll pin hole is slightly higher on the MG distributor but the roll pin is the same distance down the shaft, so it appears the MG shaft is slightly longer, but they fit in the E1/J13/15 without issues which make them a better choice than a matchbox on them engines.

I would try to find a matchbox first, I suppose the MG shaft could possibly be slightly too long and need trimmed, it depends on how the drive is made on the KA.

The photo below is of a A series distributor out of a Datsun 210 on the left, the middle one is for an MG Midget/MGB, and the right one is an L block matchbox with the E1-J13/15 drive on it.

014.JPG

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

$250 for a used core is very high.  I used to buy them used for $30.  But then again I charge $200 for rebuilds, and that's cheap compared to a few other REAL vendors who actually rebuild them, not just clean and reassemble - there's a huge difference in how well your truck will run and how long it lasts.  

• Like 2

I have purchased new and rebuilt matchboxes from Rock Auto and to be honest both were a waste of money.  The used factory matchboxes I pick up from time to time are much better quality.  I used to sell good working used matchboxes for $125.  But I just hoard them now.  And the L engine Matchbox will work in a Z24 engine a friend of mine in Guam runs them.  I do not know if he mods the matchbox for the Z24 engine.

i found a points distributor yesterday in the local salvage yard.it had been out in the rain for a very long time.So i am soaking it in rust removal.i got from it .it was laying beside a truck with the motor pulled from it.the truck tag had lb20 on the tag under the hood.i don't know if it came from this particular truck.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Look also for the non California '80 S110 (second generation 200sx) and the non California '80 A10 (HL510) The Z20 for this year was a four plug engine and also used a matchbox distributor. I've had two of the S110s and sold both. California models had 8 plug heads and in '81 ALL Z20s were 8 plug heads.

• Like 1

i found a 1982 210 dizzy in a salvage yard about 2.5 hours from my house .i bought it and a dizzy from a 1981 maxima both for 75.00 gonna use the 210 for parts to build  one for the lb20 .i have a matchbox housing for the lb20 already.both were complete.the 210 shaft is made different on the bottom. it doesn't have the slot machined in the bottom of the shaft.i am going back later when i got time to look around. told me he had over 3,000 cars.and the grass was cut and it was a very neat and clean yard.found another matchbox in a yard 45 minutes from my house.it was a little rusty,but had good breakerplate. paid 25.00 i try to look for salvage yards tucked away. i found a complete 620 sitting behind a house while out riding one Sunday after service.could not get up with the owner yet.will try to get up with him tommorrow.would be nice to add a 620 to go along with my 1984 720 equipped with a KA24E.

Edited by nissan720
  • Like 1

I believe if you change out the drive gear on the 210 distributor for the drive gear that the L20b came with it will work that way, they are held in position with a roll pin, the only thing I can say is that the 210 distributor curve might be different than the L block curve.

You also need the L block plate/adapter/pedestal that holds the distributor on the L block.

• Like 1