Lovexplosions

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, thelow620 said:

Thingiverse has some just search for datsun.

Really depends on what you are looking for. You can also make your own designs to print or recreate something you need. There are a lot of free programs to do this as well.

3D printing stuff has also been gone over in quite a few threads here and more than a few people are selling 3D replicated parts at this point (light covers, steering shaft clamshell etc..) here or on the Facebook pages. A standard Google or similar search for "datsun stl" would show up quite a few interesting hints to dig through. Of course people selling their 3D prints rarely share their files they've designed.

For example: https://grabcad.com/library/datsun-620-steering-shroud-1

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, thelow620 said:

Thingiverse has some just search for datsun.

Really depends on what you are looking for. You can also make your own designs to print or recreate something you need. There are a lot of free programs to do this as well.

Thanks, yea I had looked on thingiverse, much appreciated

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

3D printing stuff has also been gone over in quite a few threads here and more than a few people are selling 3D replicated parts at this point (light covers, steering shaft clamshell etc..) here or on the Facebook pages. A standard Google or similar search for "datsun stl" would show up quite a few interesting hints to dig through. Of course people selling their 3D prints rarely share their files they've designed.

For example: https://grabcad.com/library/datsun-620-steering-shroud-1

thanks, I googled a bunch but didn't think to search the forum

• Like 1

Don't print that clamshell yet, for the record. I'm working with that guy to get that model made right. He did most of the work, but there's a good bit of interference on that design currently that I'm going to finish up & then do some test prints.

I've made some badges, sun visor parts, the climate control face, etc. & am collecting whatever parts I can find. But people openly sharing models is hard to come by. A lot of time and effort goes into getting a model that fits correctly.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Bucketerium said:

Don't print that clamshell yet, for the record. I'm working with that guy to get that model made right. He did most of the work, but there's a good bit of interference on that design currently that I'm going to finish up & then do some test prints.

I've made some badges, sun visor parts, the climate control face, etc. & am collecting whatever parts I can find. But people openly sharing models is hard to come by. A lot of time and effort goes into getting a model that fits correctly.

thanks. I was just about to print it. I sliced it out to 21hour print. good thing I didn't start it

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

With being able to create replacements for many of the small plastic bits that have broken, 3D printing is a blessing. I have no problem paying someone for the bits I can't make myself. IS anyone doing metal 3D parts?

1 hour ago, EDM620 said:

With being able to create replacements for many of the small plastic bits that have broken, 3D printing is a blessing. I have no problem paying someone for the bits I can't make myself. IS anyone doing metal 3D parts?

Metal would take a much more expensive machine. Us home people can do exotic filaments, like ones with carbon fiber mixed in, but those start to eat the nozzle pretty fast.

For me, this weekend, I did the door lock pulls, started working on making bumpers for the gas door, and tonight, did the little inserts for the grille mounting holes. I know there's more things, but I just gotta find them.

The TPU material will work great for bumpers and gaskets and things that are hard to find. Only issue is having an original to copy. I do measuring and testing, but I know there's people out there that can handle a 3d scanner and clean up models with relative ease. Heck, a newer iPhone is all you REALLY need for scanning.

IMG-20200612-172033.jpg

IMG-20200711-150049.jpg

Edited by ducky
  • Like 1

I can definitely think of a few bits like the little cup in behind the door opener that I'll need made. I think a radio delete panel would be good, once I get to the interior stage of my build. Personally I'm de-branding my build and will also remake bits to eliminate the logo - maybe I'll come up with my own logo to "re-brand" the truck with.

How well does the plastic hold up to heat? I've seen a few bits made for under the hood that would potentially get pretty warm.

8 hours ago, EDM620 said:

I can definitely think of a few bits like the little cup in behind the door opener that I'll need made.

How well does the plastic hold up to heat? I've seen a few bits made for under the hood that would potentially get pretty warm.

you mean like this?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4540909

I also use PETG for a lot of the things for the truck. It's more springy and layer adhesion is better than PLA. Plus, it holds strong about 50* longer than PLA.

Edited by ducky

Hmm. PETG is is available in mostly the same colors as PLA. I've got the same Galaxy black coming from Prusa as in the PLA in the picture above. The sun visor bases.

By the way, do you guys have stuff you've made? Care to share? I'll be posting the little grille tab bolt nut thingies once I get home.

Edited by ducky
On 7/13/2020 at 10:33 AM, 5t341tH said:

the only part i've printed that's related to the truck would be the hood prop rod holder

Lol, I've done that one also for my 1200

I'm subscribing to this! I have a Snapmaker 2.0, so I have 3D printing, CNC routing and laser engraving capabilities. I have some pretty basic self taught modeling skills and just came into possession of a "79" 620 (it has front drum brakes so I don't know how accurate the '79 is). I got inspired by Mike OBrien (@3D_Magic_Mike on Instagram) and plan to custom make an interior for my truck since most of the interior is non existent.

Look forward in seeing what all comes from this thread, keep it going, link files and share pictures!!!