3d printing

Lovexplosions

So will this topic be the part of the internet we need to visit for any 620 parts that needs te be reproduced? I'd love to get the files needed to print some stuff because i live in the Netherlands and parts are hard to come by. I can have parts printed over here so just the files would be very helpful. Clamshell, gauge bezel, etc.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Eric said:

So will this topic be the part of the internet we need to visit for any 620 parts that needs te be reproduced? I'd love to get the files needed to print some stuff because i live in the Netherlands and parts are hard to come by. I can have parts printed over here so just the files would be very helpful. Clamshell, gauge bezel, etc.

Possibly. I know I'll be posting in here with anything I want to announce. I also started an instagram for my "business". @featherlight.industries

Last night, I posted my fender emblems on thingiverse. My issue will likely be that I'm running out of stuff that's easily made and even less that are easily printed. The dash has a curvature to it, and therefore would likely need someone to scan it, fix mesh issues, the cut it up for easiest printing. The results would be worth it, but I just don't have that skill.

If anyone wants me to MAKE a part for any vehicle, they'd need to send me a message with pictures of it so I can check it out and see if I could do it or not. I'm definitely not opposed to getting parts and modelling them for mostly free.

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

Well, it's almost been two years and I've taken most of my stuff off Thingiverse in favor of the Printables (used to be Prusa Printers)

Printables - My Profile

Tonight, I'm working on making an adapter to the air cleaner housing to use a 2" hose like for the carb pre-heater. It's ugly, but I'm printing it in TPU, and will have a hard plastic piece inside that you can tighten a clamp against. Hoping it fits on the first try lol

Capture.PNG

IMG_20220404_121347_compressed.jpg

Edited by ducky
edit: yes, it went on fine the first time. needs some tweaks, but printed great and looks decent
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, 5t341tH said:

looks good. have you tested tpu heat resistance?

Sort of. I used little spacers I made under the heated bed for about a year. I also have backing gaskets on my fender emblems, as well as spoiler gaskets for my wrx. They all seem to have held up fine. seems odd, since the glass point is as low or lower than pla, but whatever I guess?

These ones are bigger chunks and will be under the hood, but I assume being in the shade and having the movement of air will be just fine.

Here's the core support piece I'm hoping I can print today after I verify bolt pattern.

Capture.PNG

Edited by ducky
  • Like 1

Are you able to print in 2 colors? I am putting in a rotary fan switch that doesn't have a surround indicating fan speeds, which I'd like to have similar to this Ford switch

IMG_8678.thumb.jpg.9cc8529869fd2eee23bb7922b019c83d.jpg

The plan is to mount it up here on the console (rough layout)

IMG_8691.thumb.jpg.f7cb66262885f0a6c1451a21d1a47eed.jpg

It would be even better if I could make it backlight

6 hours ago, 5t341tH said:

nice. I was debating to make the door lock pull surrounds out of TPU. now I'll give it a go

If you need door lock pulls themselves: https://www.printables.com/model/51370-datsun-620-door-lock-pull-plunger

1 hour ago, EDM620 said:

Are you able to print in 2 colors? I am putting in a rotary fan switch that doesn't have a surround indicating fan speeds, which I'd like to have similar to this Ford switch

The plan is to mount it up here on the console (rough layout)

It would be even better if I could make it backlight

Definitely possible. One option is to have the white as a color change, with it protruding from the top a few layers. Another option would be to have the numbers or whatever indented. Then you could come in with a pint pen or small detail brush, and paint what you need. I've even done color differences where I make a hole for it, print it separate, and then glue it in. That's not my preferred method, but I'm experimenting with it for the next version of my fender emblems.

I got side tracked with this air intake project. Did you know the screws that hold the part to the core support are likely M5.5 tapping screws? Not any american sheet metal screw. Seems obvious when you think about it, but it's still annoying.

Edited by ducky
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, EDM620 said:

I have a small panel made up on Tinkercad, not the best program but I've laid out the design on there. I'll send the file to you and let me know if you can improve it and print. Details in the PM

Got it and shot you a PM back with my email contact.

In related news, I'm having a super tough time getting the sheet metal screws for the air intake on the core support. I nailed it down to a metric M5.5 tapping screw, BUT the root of the screw is actually too large in diameter to fit in the holes that already exist. I was looking around for other bolts and things and found mention there is such a thing as an old JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard). I'm thinking back in the 70's, these M5.5 sheet metal screws likely had a smaller root diameter as the standard.

SO, I decided on grabbing button head M4 screws (the existing holes are around 4.5mm in diameter), which will be run through the front and into a nut on the adapter piece. I may experiment with adding threads to the plastic inserts that you can see in the last pictures, but I'm not super sure about that. I know I'll at least do one that way, as I have an extra that I printed and don't want to waste.

Screws will be here on Wednesday allegedly, so hopefully I'll have some decent pictures and a finished product at that point. Monday, I'm getting the truck some fresh tinting as well. Stupid expensive Llumar, which has a blue/green hue to it. Should look like old style green factory tinted windows.

Always fun working on new projects. What do you think of this knob, @EDM620?

Well, here's where we are now. Just waiting for the print to be done on your end to see if it fits proper on the space provided.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Edited by ducky

I'll admit my 3D print programming skills are minimal, not even sure how I can confirm the dimensions 100%, but the profile you made certainly looks accurate, as I see, the measurements are correct. I think the shape you sent me would work very well as the profile for the aluminum backer I spoke about.

Got the air intake mounted tonight. I have a couple versions of the piece that goes on the core support. One is for the M5.5 sheet metal screw that will slightly enlarge your stock hole size, and the other is/will be optimized to use the zip ties we used. I'm still not happy with it 100%, but it looks like it'll work and stay in place.

IMG-20220420-191135.jpg IMG-20220420-191140.jpg IMG-20220420-191419.jpg

If anyone wants to buy parts to do this, I can print for you and supply hose and hardware, or I can give out the couple files, which will eventually be listed on my printables page anyways.

Hot off the print bed, a spark plug wire holder. Works with the still available bracket (13251-65000: https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/89397633/13241-65000.html)

It printed pretty well, but still need to tweak my settings to get rid of the stringy-ness. Going to test for accuracy holding my NGK 7mm wires tomorrow.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2
18 hours ago, ducky said:

Hot off the print bed, a spark plug wire holder. Works with the still available bracket (13251-65000: https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/89397633/13241-65000.html)

It printed pretty well, but still need to tweak my settings to get rid of the stringy-ness. Going to test for accuracy holding my NGK 7mm wires tomorrow.

Capture.PNG

And lo, the final version. It's not perfect, but fits like a glove. I added a gasket for under the bracket so you're not scratching up a nicely powder coated valve cover, like mine!

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, EDM620 said:

My dash is closer to being completed, now to draft up the replacement panel for the heater slide controls. I'll see how good I can do it on Tinkercad and send it for you to review.

Nice! Once again, sorry i haven't really worked on your stuff. I've been trying to nail down the thread for the door lock pulls, which I assumed was M4 x 0.7 BUT it's actually an American #8-32. I'm actually kind of ticked off to be honest.

IMG_20220510_193347.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 2:09 AM, JackRT said:

Those looks like professionally done! Nice

Thanks!

I made this the other day:

image.png.314a5f8a528f2670065308e47c20d0d8.png

If anyone needs a oil cap gasket, this fits perfectly and so far has worked great. I'll even make a OEM style package to put it in with a part number label.

There we go. Added the final product picture.

image.png

d6cb31768f1ab554.jpg

Edited by ducky
  • Like 4