Crusing Van Nuys Boulevard in the summer of '72

original article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8245715/Black-white-images-vanished-world-SoCal-car-cruising-scene-1972.html?fbclid=IwAR3_bOfaP4gykMuq0_lJlmi5xgWl5x6QdoaRNYSk7NFBlAfwnvrynMIGyOU#i-593f02bb96c3606e

(more pictures, lots of ads)

In the summer of 1972, photographer Rick McCloskey chronicled SoCal's Van Nuys Boulevard cruising scene

That summer, McCloskey was on the edge of being too old - at 26 - when he set out to take photos of Van Nuys cruising. His black-and-white images radiant SoCal culture and embody teenage carefree: barefoot young women and men sit on hoods, lounge on the top of cars and recline in the back of trucks. All the while they congregated, chatted and chilled out.

three young women enjoy the Southern California weather during a cruising night on a stretch of Van Nuys Boulevard. 'There was room to park, lots of lights and a good spot to get shots of people,' McCloskey said. He noted that at the time this image was taken in 1972, it was still legal to ride in the back of trucks, which is no longer permitted in the state. The three are hanging out in a Datsun, and McCloskey pointed out: 'Before 1968, you would never would have seen one of these

25742618-8092397-Above-three-young-women

25746442-8092397-Van-Nuys-Boulevard-was-

• Like 7
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Van Nuys Blvd. days were 1973 until they closed it down complete in 1980 something. 

Those were the days. It was everybody, and they all got along. You had to be there. Every Wednesday.

You might make two circuits in a night. Bumper to bumper for five miles if I remember right.

Thank You Bleach 

Chopper Jim

• Like 3

Here in San Diego's east county we have Second street in El Cajon.In the 70's and early 80's it was quite the get together on Friday and Saturday nights.All the parking lots in the strip mall were full of car people just hanging out.A little bit of drag racing going on,the cops didn't play hardass as long as you didn't do anything stupid.Reminds me of those scenes in American Graffiti.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...