Side draft carb

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The most common single side draft set up is the Canon Single Carb Manifold with a Weber.

I had one and ran it with Air Horns. It was that or a filter, unless you have really short horns, the filter will not work with them . 

Pic off the web

Hi Jef-Fro,

Here's my experience.....

A few years back I decided to build an LZ23 for my B210. I just HAD to have all the cool race car parts. I decided to go with a pair of Weber 45 DCOE side draft carbs and a 2pc. short runner intake manifold(s). The old saying is that you can't have your cake and eat it too... Well, that holds true here. The dual side drafts produce and amazing, exciting induction sound. A quick, wind-snorting type of noise that will get you harder than a honey-moon-dick. But the problem with dual side draft its the lack of vacuum signal at low engine speeds -- which is necessary for idle and cruising speeds. Wide open throttle is no issue for dual DCOE.

I can only imagine that a single side draft carb would have better idle and low engine speed operation - this is because TWO cylinder are being fed by ONE 'barrel' of the carb and will produce a better vacuum signal. 

If I could do it again I would have used a 38/38 Weber Outlaw, OR a single side draft DCOE. 

11 hours ago, Jef-fro said:

I’m looking to purchase a single side draft carb for my L16.Any suggestions?and also I’m wondering how well the filters function on the air horns 

If you go with the single side draft try to find a lynx intake...

I have heard people struggle with tuning  the cannon intake .... the benefit of the lynx intake is it pairs cylinders 1/4 and 2/3.... with the datsun firing order being 1-3-4-2 you can see how every induction pulse is the opposite side of the carburetor vs 2 pulses back to back from the same side .....

Screenshot-20200404-084501-Gallery.jpg

I have a modified L16 running the Lynx and a single 40 dcoe.... I have had to do alot of fine tuning but It runs great...

• Like 1

On the con side it has a less direct shot to the intake port. 3 and 4 have two 900 bends to go through but it does look shorter so will clear the brake master or booster better. Isn't there another intake that also bends upward slightly so the velocity stacks have more room?

Not if set up properly and the side drafts not too large. However a modest cam increase and some port matching will always add more power. Carried to an extreme a too large cam will move the power band higher in the RPM range at the expense of good drive ability in the low and mid range where 99.9% of driving is done. If you drive it daily on the street be conservative.

1 hour ago, Jef-fro said:

If I was to go with a dual carb setup would I have to do any engine mods?larger cam 

Large cam = lower vacuum signal, which = poor low engine speed performance/idle quality... Sounds crazy, but it's true. The dynamic(?) compression ratio is diminished when you have more overlap from a big cam. In a race car scenario, guys who run big cams also run higher static compression ratio to compensate.

My point is that unless you're high rpm and WOT a larger cam will not improve normal daily driving.

Edited by mhub91
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

i hear the Weber’s the low speed circuits isn’t as good as the mikunis

100% accurate. Also, they sneeze and pop at low engine speed if under load. While they look cool, sound cool and will woo folks at car shows/meets, dual DCOE is just so impractical. 

Seriously, use a damn 32/36 and fall in love with how easy it is to drive.

2 minutes ago, Jef-fro said:

I could not find any kits with Mikunis carbs 

Here's the deal.... hard core, old timer datsun guys and Japanese racers always prefer Mikunis. The truth is there is more people running webers and a lot more support for them.

It's all preference, IMO.

45 dcoe on an L16? I'll tell you this -- a Weber 32/36 smokes grey/black under wide open throttle on an L16 right out of the box (too rich).

Don't expect great results from a 45 on an L16. You'll most likely (guaranteed) need smaller chokes and different jets.

1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Doing anything to excess..... is how we learn.

My B210 was a prime example of this. Way back when I had a 32/36 but wanted dual 45s. Jesus what a mistake.