Side draft carb

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I actually love it... it did take a bit of tuning to get it right though.... 

F7 emulsion tubes were the trick, fixed the transition f2s or f16s are no good. on a l16 id gues 28mm chokes with the single carb. F8 or f9 idle jets in similar range as recomended for twins. And mains one or two steps up from what the recommended for twins, say 135s instead of 125s etc.

Find a carb with the 4-5 progression holes, or someone who can mod a 3 hole. 

Lynx manifold is the go. Evens the intake pulses out. Make sure you only feed it 3psi fuel pressure and the float level is spot on. 25mm i think from memory. 

Before carb buying, spend money on ignition. Most poorly performing carburetors,( especially individual runner) is really a shit ignition system.

A guess here cause i had an l20b, but 14 to 16 advance, 15 degrees mech advance and i had another 18 vacuum. It ran beautifully,  no pinging etc, no coughs on decel. 

Thats my single carb experience hope it helps. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Str8jacket said:

F7 emulsion tubes were the trick, fixed the transition f2s or f16s are no good. on a l16 id gues 28mm chokes with the single carb. F8 or f9 idle jets in similar range as recomended for twins. And mains one or two steps up from what the recommended for twins, say 135s instead of 125s etc.

Find a carb with the 4-5 progression holes, or someone who can mod a 3 hole. 

Lynx manifold is the go. Evens the intake pulses out. Make sure you only feed it 3psi fuel pressure and the float level is spot on. 25mm i think from memory. 

Before carb buying, spend money on ignition. Most poorly performing carburetors,( especially individual runner) is really a shit ignition system.

A guess here cause i had an l20b, but 14 to 16 advance, 15 degrees mech advance and i had another 18 vacuum. It ran beautifully,  no pinging etc, no coughs on decel. 

Thats my single carb experience hope it helps. 

Damn where were you when I was tuning mine.....

You just about nailed what I'm running in my carburetor now....

I am using 32mm chokes on my L16 but it's highly modified ... 

The f7 emulsion tube was key in the transition.... 

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Jef-fro said:

I’ve been wanting to upgrade my ignition system from points to el but I have a dual points dizzy and have not been able to locate a matchbox dizzy

Check out Pertronix. You can also buy a refurbish matchbox setup form a local parts store or rockauto, but you will sill need the EI distributor's pedestal.

28 minutes ago, mhub91 said:

Check out Pertronix. You can also buy a refurbish matchbox setup form a local parts store or rockauto, but you will sill need the EI distributor's pedestal.

Yes and no. Doesn't HAVE to be an EI pedestal but to get it in range for setting the timing you may have to drop the oil pump and reposition the drive spindle .

• Like 1