Looking for LSD for my 620

5t341tH

Hey guys. I'm looking at available options to fit my 620 with an LSD. I am not familiar with this area so I need some help. I'd love to stick with factory options, but it seems like they are pretty hard to find with my research. All I know is I need an H190. Will it be a direct fit into my stock rear end? Thanks!

can someone check this out and see if it will work?

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s727559651

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks wayno. after a lot of searching on here, you seem to be the guru of LSDs. My 620 has a sr20det swap and it spins one tire quite often. Looking to get an LSD so I can put power down more effectively. So the stamping on that h190 in the link I've sent shows 48 13. Is that the ratio? Also if I look at pictures of h190s, how do I tell if it's an LSD or not?

I am no LSD guru, there are others on here that actually bring them here from Japan, but again they are expensive.

1 hour ago, 5t341tH said:

thanks wayno. after a lot of searching on here, you seem to be the guru of LSDs. My 620 has a sr20det swap and it spins one tire quite often. Looking to get an LSD so I can put power down more effectively. So the stamping on that h190 in the link I've sent shows 48 13. Is that the ratio? Also if I look at pictures of h190s, how do I tell if it's an LSD or not?

I put one in my 1969 Datsun kingcab turbodiesel truck, before I had a H190 with 3.5 gears out of a Hardbody, then I found an LSD in a 1993 Nissan Hardbody with 3.5 gears so I installed that and drove it around for a couple years, the one thing that I didn't like was when making a left hand turn at a signal where when you go when you have the room was that it became unpredictable, if it was raining or the road was wet the back end of my truck would try to come around on me, I had to be very careful as i didn't want to wreck it, it was scary sometimes, so when I found a H190 with 3.3 gears I removed the LSD and installed that, I have not regretted what i did, yes I spin one tire every once in a while when it is wet outside, but I don't have the back end of my truck racing the front end of my truck anymore either, and that is what I care about.

Also it made the whole back of my truck vibrate when I stepped on the pedal and made a 90 degree turn when it was dry outside.

DMike gave you the correct ratio even though he typed 48/12 instead of 48/13, it is 3.69 which I have never heard of before, that is close to 3.7 gear ratio.

This is what a H190 Nissan LSD looks like.

DSCN1637.jpg

This is what a Nissan H190 open differential looks like.

DSCN1496.jpg

It is, it's the same as the one I brought in from Japan for my 620.

Direct fit into the 620, except.........

It is meant for a 29 spline sedan rear end, and requires a spacer in the center to hold the truck axles held tight against their Timken roller bearings.

The sedan had ball bearing axle bearings, so didn't require this.

Simple task, you pull your open diff apart, and measure the thickness of the spider. It will be approx. .902" thick.

You then have a machine shop make a round spacer that long, and install it in the lsd.

The spacer needs to free float back & forth a little.

DSC08734.jpg

I had to make these up for every LSD I sold. 

The plates in these are the same as the Nismo R200, so parts are easy to find.

To make them easier to live with in the rain, remove the spring plates, and replace with additional inner & outer clutch plates.

This makes them lock less under normal driving, and lock more when you hammer it..

Edited by G-Duax

Possibly going to make moving through a parking lot slowly a little difficult.

Those cars had an L6 in them so had a little more grunt to idle down, and stil pull a load.

But with a turbo, you are less likely to blow the tires off from it.

I having an L4 with mild cam, went to 4.62 gears, but with a turbo, I would have not done that.

You may be better off with a 4.1 gear set, if you can locate them, or even a 3.9.

Depends on how good of rear tires you want to run. R compound tires will let you hammer it hard with 4.3s, and get a good launch.

Price is cheap, but due to the weight the shipping will probably be twice that.

Mike, do you mean axle spline count ?

All the larger cars (Cedric, Gloria, some Maxima wagons), all had the same spline count as the truck.

4 minutes ago, G-Duax said:

Those cars had an L6 in them so had a little more grunt to idle down, and stil pull a load.

But with a turbo, you are less likely to blow the tires off from it.

I having an L4 with mild cam, went to 4.62 gears, but with a turbo, I would have not done that.

You may be better off with a 4.1 gear set, if you can locate them, or even a 3.9.

Depends on how good of rear tires you want to run. R compound tires will let you hammer it hard with 4.3s, and get a good launch.

Price is cheap, but due to the weight the shipping will probably be twice that.

All the larger cars (Cedric, Gloria, some Maxima wagons), all had the same spline count as the truck.

Thanks. I see this one on ebay as well. Referencing your pictures, this seems to be an LSD. it came from a 86 D21 4x4. Will this work?

s-l1600.jpg

Nope.

He was in Fukushima, and when the shit hit the fan in 2011, he had to shut down.

Everyone else I found was very expensive, or didn't want to handle things that had any oil on them, or weighed too much.

That was why I stopped importing stuff, except for myself a few years ago, just wasn't worth all my time, and effort any more.

You might give RHD-Japan a try, that is how I brought in my 6-speed from Japan.

20 hours ago, G-Duax said:

There will be more, there always is.

Check daily, as some sellers over there offer the 'buy-it-now' option.

thanks. that's true. do you have any tell tale ways to see which ones are LSD or not? certain years, or trim?

On 3/31/2020 at 10:39 PM, G-Duax said:

No the crown and pinion. Why not 37/10 instead of 48/13?? The teeth would have been thicker, stronger.

On 3/31/2020 at 10:45 PM, 5t341tH said:

Thanks. I see this one on ebay as well. Referencing your pictures, this seems to be an LSD. it came from a 86 D21 4x4. Will this work?

s-l1600.jpg

On 3/31/2020 at 11:26 PM, G-Duax said:

Don't think so.....

What I heard/read, that only 2wd interchange.

Mike ?

Only the '88 through '93 model year 2wd 4 cylinder D-21 trucks had the H-190 LSD option.  Four cylinder 4x4 were all C-200 differentials. All VG trucks were H-233 differential

• 3 weeks later...

Ok So I won an auction for a QK30 LSD. I just received it today and it looks very clean.

@G-Duax that spacer that I need, does it go between the axle shafts in the LSD? So once I get one made, do I just slide it in the middle or do I need to open up the LSD?

Thanks

EDIT: looks like this has all the info I need.

Can I just straight swap this in? Pull the rear axles out, take out original diff, slide this baby in with the axle spacer, and slide my axles back in?

What gear oil is recommended. I've been reading that I should use synthetic 75w140

Edited by 5t341tH
On 4/22/2020 at 12:57 PM, hosestop@msn.com said:

https://imgur.com/SIWDjUT

Ford 8.8 with traction arm :/https/imgur.com/SIWDjUT  

I was thinking about this but it is too complicated a swap for me. I want something that drops in without having to go multilink in rear. Also want to keep my leaf springs for carrying loads and also didn't want to take everything apart to weld any brackets in

So I did some measuring and I find that the new rear end I have is a bit too long. The flange coming off the pinion is longer than what I have in the truck now. Also the flange is larger in diameter but the bolt spacing/pattern is the same. I assume the smaller diameter on the driveshaft should bolt up fine with the larger face of the new flange.

The new rear end is 1 3/4" while the stock is 1" long. It looks like I will be shortening my driveshaft by 3/4" to make this work but otherwise it can bolt on. Any thoughts?

new diff is 1 3/4"

nPlEqm6.jpg

new diff bolt spacing. 2 1/4" spacing

DtV8pJ8.jpg

stock diff is 1"

TF5h5TQ.jpg

stock bolt spacing which is also 2 1/4" spacing

JcUHLak.jpg

Edited by 5t341tH
  • 2 weeks later...

OK so I got this thing installed. I had the spacer machined and installed between the axles. I ended up swapping the flange from the stock carrier over to the new one. Mounted up the diff and used 75w140 Motul lsd oil. I just took it for a test drive and this thing whines pretty loud on deceleration. Researching online leads me to a pinion gear not fully torqued down? Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Swapping the pinion flange without re-checking and setting backlash was your fatal error along with possibly messing up preload on the crush spacer. If you don't want to ruin everything you'll need to pull it out.  While you're in there should at least install new pinion seal, ideally swap new pinion bearings in.