Nana Spec 69' 510

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9kmLE8y.jpg

On the underside of the 63A is a large nut. (middle picture) This holds a post up inside with a lever like a teeter-totter. First and reverse have to go through this lever which reverses the striking rod travel from a forward to a backward throw. Without it the shift pattern would be ...

R..3..5

Instead of...

R..2..4

Is this nut loose? which might affect getting out of first?

If in reverse will it shift directly into 2nd?

11 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

What happens if you double clutch it?  

Speaking of the clutch, I thought I'd start back at first principles. This morning I bled the clutch slave cyl, tightened up the linkage and adjusted the pedal. I'm hoping this is the real issue, because I'd noticed the pedal had sunk a little since I started driving it.

22 hours ago, slowlearner said:

No, it comes out of 1st ok. Just engaging 2nd after 1st is the issue. Once the revs drop it will go in, but not revved up. I can't tell if it's temperature sensitive. 

Idle in neutral. Depress the clutch and put in reverse like you were going to back up. Does it grind gears at all???? Bet it does. Clutch is not disengaging.

Low on fluid or air is in the line.

Ok, so the clutch is working fine. Adjusted up, bled, etc. The car doesn't like shifting from 1st to 2nd when warm, at medium to low revs. It will shift fine at higher revs with blip in between. This is good, because it means I can do events and not fear it shifting. Double clutching also works. So I have options.

I'm going to drop the oil tomorrow and change it. I'm also going to add some Molybond trans treatment to the trans and hope that works. Stew Wilkins said he doesn't really like the 63A trans, prefering the 71B and 71C. So maybe I'll keep an eye out for them in my travels. 

I also need to change the tank breather lines. They're leaking = stinky interior.

My other issue is the car running on about every 4th or 5th time when I switch it off. I'll go looking for that issue soon. New plugs I guess and maybe timing. And the SUs are sticking and not idling quite right. I think I'll drop the car out to Stew for a going over during the school holidays or similar. I'll get him to look at the back springs at the same time. It's a scooch too high and has very slight positive camber. The loner WRX I have goes back this weekend. So its all on for being a daily driver. It needs some tunes, but I'm getting a bluetooth speaker for father's day this weekend, so that should be nice. 🙂

I like driving it. I'd really like to convert to EFI now, but there are a few other things going on around here I need to sort out first. I think an EFI conversion will have to wait til the new year. 😞 

22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Idle in neutral. Depress the clutch and put in reverse like you were going to back up. Does it grind gears at all???? Bet it does. Clutch is not disengaging.

Low on fluid or air is in the line.

Did you try this? If grinding it could also be a damaged pressure plate or disc.

15 minutes ago, nad015 said:

Where abouts are you? I might be able to sell you a 71b box next time I get up to nsw. 
I have a few

if you get a 71c box, you’ll need to put a bellhousing on it from a Lseries 71b box.

71c boxes are sr,ca boxes  That’s what I have in my car.

I'm in Sydney. I'll PM you.

Alright. So I changed the gear oil this morning and bled the hydraulic clutch system again last night. Having done so I took the car for a drive. When cold, it's not too bad. As it warms up, the issues return. I think now, the issue is the clutch not releasing properly as it gets warm. Wondering what might cause this, but I think it means pulling the trans out... 😞

Fun times. 

That's an '80 or newer71B and appears to be an L series so 280zx or Maxima (I think 910 there)

Nice!!

Put in first gear, turn input spline 20 times, count output spline turns

5.5 times is a wide ratio box with 3.592 first

6.0 is a mid ratio with a 3.321 first gear. Likely this

6.5 is a close ratio from a 280zx with 3.062 first

• Like 1
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

That's an '80 or newer71B and appears to be an L series so 280zx or Maxima (I think 910 there)

Nice!!

Put in first gear, turn input spline 20 times, count output spline turns

5.5 times is a wide ratio box with 3.592 first

6.0 is a mid ratio with a 3.321 first gear. Likely this

6.5 is a close ratio from a 280zx with 3.062 first

Did some testing as suggested. I think it's the mid ratio box like you said. Which is probably a good thing with only a L18 pushing it.

I think the mid ratio the best all round. The close ratio is certainly ok on a very light 2,300 pound 510 but an effort to use on a heavier car or truck. The over drive is an insane 25% and useless except on the highway.... after all it was intended for a 2.8 liter engine. I have a wide ratio for the lower first gear and coupled with a 4.11 it revs smartly from a start and pulls very well in all gears but there is a lot of rowing through the gears in town. In 5th gear it's close to 4th in a mid ratio box and on a long trip I can still get into the low 30s on an imperial gallon.  

Managed to pull the 63a on Sunday arvo and then the clutch last night. Clutch looks ok, so I'm still guessing all the issues are with the gearbox, thank God.

71b is the same dimensions as the as the 63a but not a dogleg. Throw out bearing and.clutch lever are the same too. Gotta love the datsun parts bin. I just need a few longer bolts to put through the top of the belhousing into the motor and I'm set to go.