Nana Spec 69' 510

What state are you in?
I’m in NSW

im getting ready to register my car again. 
I’ve got a 5 speed long box, and an L20b with twin Weber’s. I’ve had it registered as it is before  and didn’t have an issue passing the blueslip, even with the L20b. 
hopefully I don’t have too many issues.

yeah, I scrolled back through your thread and it looks like you’ve got a modified gearbox crossmember. Hopefully they don’t nit pick on shit. 

Edited by nad015
  • Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, NSW. If he nick pics, I'll borrow a 4 speed and a driveshaft off a mate for a week. It's stupid. Harleys all over the road with no mufflers and he wants to pick me for stupid things that don't effect the safety of the car one iota. 

In truth, once it's blue-slipped they don't care what you do to it. I know this because an inspector told me as much to my face. Blue-slip = super hard. Pink slip = whatever won't kill you.

Edited by slowlearner

Well I got a definitely got a blueslip with the 5 speed long box with a custom crossmember.

but I’m sure it depends on the guy doing the inspection , I was actually thinking I’d have a problem with the L20b but that was fine aswell

Edited by nad015
5 minutes ago, nad015 said:

Well I got a definitely got a blueslip with the 5 speed long box with a custom crossmember.

but I’m sure it depends on the guy doing the inspection , I was actually thinking I’d have a problem with the L20b but that was fine aswell

Yeah, he asked me about the motor and I said, "L18, was an L16". He was cool about that as it's under 20%. But weird that you can get yours' done with an L20, but I can't do mine with one. I've got no previous rego papers for mine though.

15 hours ago, nad015 said:

Man I hope I don’t have to get an engineers cert for the L20b, I know going exactly by the book I probably would need to.

i think its super expensive to pay for engineering now. 

If you've got old rego papers with the l20 engine numbers already on them, it shouldn't be an issue as I understand it. I looked at a (rusty) 1600 regoed with an L20 and no engineers papers. It got through rego no worries after being off the road for 15 years apparently. 

2 minutes ago, nad015 said:

I’ve got 200B front struts and brakes

and a jap 200B large can booster with a 7/8 brake master.

standard drums in the back. 

Ditto pretty much.

1 minute ago, nad015 said:

Well, really the Datsun 510 was available with a L18 standard(although I think only the coupe) so L20b should be ok anyway. 

Yeah, but as far as RMS is concerned, not in Oz. Yeah I know, not logical but logic just confuses people. 😒

7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

L18 was an option for the '71 Coupe. The Coupe was discontinued for '72.

Model codes...

KP510 L16 base model coupe engine and L16SSS engine

KH510 optional L18SSS engine

Thanks Mike, unfortunately local authorities don't care about models except for whatever what got on our shores in the day. And even if we had got 1 L18SSS coupe at the time, I'd have to find proof of it and I'd still be lucky if they listened.

I spent most of my day off grinding bits of metal off my struts that Stevie Wonder stuck on with a stick welder for his 1980s rally car. Stewart Wilkins told me I'd probably want to do some when I got them off him. All this was in aid of getting rid of anything the rego inspector can get wound up about. Frustrating and not any help but there you are.

I did however, take the opportunity to put some cambered strut tops on the struts. Stew gave me one and I drilled a few holes and converted another one over. It'll give me about 1 extra degree of negative camber. I know I could convert to S13 struts/brakes and adjustable tops, but these were free, easy to sort and can't be rejected by the inspector.

IMG20200730184220.jpg

Edited by slowlearner

The level of scrutiny in Oz is brutal.  I watch the youtuber "home built by Jeff" and he went through everything he had to do for a modified Z car.  Pretty tough.

I would have that scrutiny if I built a full on kit car and wanted it street legal.  Otherwise, where I live, we register cars by internet.  No inspection or anything.  I'm becoming more and more grateful for that.

Some of it i don't mind. After all there are many people who don't look after their cars or do mods that are totally unsafe. However, it's gotten silly recently and they're controlling everything in a nanny state manner. It also punishes people who are trying to do the right thing while the jerks who are the real problem ignore all the rules anyway. So all that strictness is a waste of time. 

• Like 1

Probably 90% of the cars on ratsun would not be allowed to drive on our roads, haha.

i hate to complain really because it’s a great country to live in. But seriously there are sooo many rules with everything, not just cars. All the rules we have with cars seems to be about on par with the rules with everything here. 
when do you think you’ll have yours on the road, I’m really hoping to have mine by the end of the year, it doesn’t really need any more work done to it, I just need some spare time to do it. And I work in Victoria so if they tighten the borders more and I can’t get back to NSW then that will throw that out. Haha

10 hours ago, nad015 said:

Probably 90% of the cars on ratsun would not be allowed to drive on our roads, haha.

i hate to complain really because it’s a great country to live in. But seriously there are sooo many rules with everything, not just cars. All the rules we have with cars seems to be about on par with the rules with everything here. 
when do you think you’ll have yours on the road, I’m really hoping to have mine by the end of the year, it doesn’t really need any more work done to it, I just need some spare time to do it. And I work in Victoria so if they tighten the borders more and I can’t get back to NSW then that will throw that out. Haha

Everyone complains about the emissions requirements in California (which, yes, can be illogical), but on the flip side we have basically no other vehicle inspections unless you give cause/get caught doing something stupid and get sent to a referee. So that's kind of nice

I'm continuing to pick away at things that I'm sure will fail the inspection. Having had a quick look at the driver's seatbelt the other day, I could see the belt was frayed near the buckle from overuse. I knew that would be a fail. Then I pulled the passenger belt out today and found this...

So yeah. Not a winner. Faded to blue grey, frayed and nasty. I've got a new pair on order for the front.

In other news, my mate that sold me the 810 5 speed dropped these bits around today...

The rims are a factory alloy off a Nissan Bluebird (910) TRX. We got lots of them down here, with the L20B. In reality, the TRX was just alloys, a body kit and a few strips and interior details. 

During the late 80s and early 90s, it seemed like every datsun owner and his dog appropriated the rims off these cars as a cheap 15" upgrade. They ended up on road, race and rally cars. There are still lots of datsun rally cars using them. They're not light, but they're super strong. I've got 7 of them with 6 rally tyres. The tyres are mostly very nasty, but they'll do for dirt khanacrosses and like. I'll probably buy some "steer" tyres for the front. I also got a set of 810 struts and hubs complete with springs and tops. I guess I could convert these over to adjustable if I like. I've got some big brake discs under the house that would fit them. They've got some rally inserts in them, but I don't know what. I'll pull them down on a rainy day some time.

I have a retrosound radio that I bought a few years ago, I wanna say 2015, mightve been 2014 but idk, that I never installed. Put it into a stock 620 radio bezel and everything just was never ready to tackle the wiring 

Quality seems decent, but, couldn't tell you how it sounds

6 hours ago, hobospyder said:

I have a retrosound radio that I bought a few years ago, I wanna say 2015, mightve been 2014 but idk, that I never installed. Put it into a stock 620 radio bezel and everything just was never ready to tackle the wiring 

Quality seems decent, but, couldn't tell you how it sounds

Time for a project status update?

• Like 1

Hmmm, so no inspection tomorrow. My new seatbelts are yet to arrive so I'm waiting for next week. 😞

Good things come to those who wait, right? Anyway, I got my mountain bike back from the shop yesterday so that's good. And I still have a few things to do on the car, cleaning it out, waxing the passenger side, greasing the halfshalts, etc...

• Like 1