Nana Spec 69' 510

Been a funny sort of day today. Spent most of it working on the datsun but there's not a lot to show for it. I fixed the exhaust hitting on the floor, a clunk in the front end, more waxing and cleaning junk out.

The.clunk turned out to be an under-torqued nut on the passenger side strut top. Glad I found that. Course I took the whole strut out before I found that loose nut. Oh well...😦

I also took the car for a quick spin down the street. It's running pig rich. I'm not really sure what to do about that. I really don't want to spend any more time on this carb than I have to. It's not staying for long. Any ideas for quick fixes are appreciated.

I had an aircon contractor doing some work on our house. He was drooling over the car. What was more surprising was a lady around my age who was going for a walking past with her two daughters as I was backing out. The daughters, in their early twenties we're oblivious to Nana. Their mother was a completely different story. She stopped and grinned as soon as she saw the car, then turned back for another look having walked past. 😀

I also spent a few minutes gluing an old passenger side mirror back together. It's only for decoration so the inspector doesn't have a hissy fit even though the car didn't come with a passenger mirror. I'm not proud of my hot glue gun repair, but it's done.

IMG20200813173112.jpg

Edited by slowlearner
  • Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

GRRRRR!!!

Got the seatbelts in the car and took it out for a quick spin. It's running like a bag of spanners. Pig rich. As soon as I put the boot in a little, it starting missing and running on 3 cylinders. I'm starting to thinking the needle and seat are leaking pouring fuel into the motor somehow. I have to sort it out before Thursday. HELP! 😞

It's hard to describe how frustrating the last couple of days have been on the car. I tried literally every part of the fuel and ignition system with no discernable improvements. First on my own, then with a good mate. In the end we traced to these new, NGK, spark plugs. In the open air, they worked fine. On the motor cyl 4 was dead and cyl 1 intermittent. So it has nasty old plugs back in it now, but at least it runs properly. So, off for inspection tomorrow. Pray it passes.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Beware 'deals' on Amazon. Not saying they are involved but I doubt they check into their sellers much even with negative feed back.

Same with ebay, you definitely have to read the ads.... I compared a bunch of ads one day and you can see all the cheap deals show ngk, but when they list the brand it is definitely not ngk....

If the price is too good probably a knockoff.... 

Soooo, woke up way to early this morning. Stressing about the blue slip inspection. Put a bit more fuel in the tank and headed off to the garage for the inspection. Not far along, the car started STINKING of petrol. Pulling over, I found petrol streaming down the side of the car from a leaking gas cap. *sigh*. Dropped off the car and went hunting for a replacement. In the end, I bought some nitrile rubber instead.

Not long after I got the call from the garage, "It's ready for you to come pick it up."

"How did it go?" I asked, expecting a long list.

"All good mate, no problems. Nothing leaks, the suspension and tyres are good. All new steering, a little surface rust but fine," he tells me.

……………….could have knocked me over with a feather. 

Then I threw $1200 dollars at insurance, rego, plates and stamp duty. OUCH!

Still, it's plated and ready to drive! With a 5 speed and decent brakes and suspension. He didn't even ask about them, but then they're factory. Right?

On the way home it was stinking of petrol again. Opening the boot, the floor was covered in petrol too. Seems the filler pipe had split on top where the breather attaches. So I've gooped it up with some RTV and hopefully I won't feel like passing out when I drive it. LOL 😄

Seriously though, my head is still kinda spinning now, an hour later.

My other challenge is that this carb doesn't like to idle properly. So I think I'll be swapping it over to the other one I had on. Or maybe the SUs... who knows. I really want EFI, but that will take a while. So baby steps for now. 🙂 It's pretty massive to have made it this far.

Edited by slowlearner
  • Like 2

On Thursday this week I started on things again. One thing I was sure of was I'd had enough of the Nikki downdrafts. It ran ok when you were driving it, but the choke was hard to get right and BOTH of the carbs I had demonstrated an inability to idle at the lights. I suspect both of them are full of varnish and other gunk and I wasn't going to pull either of them down and clean them out. I cleaned all the jets and passages of the first one to no avail. So off it came...

I had a few challenges getting the Hitachi (SUs) on it. Breather tubes, fuel lines, etc. I bought all new rubber lines for everything. A few guys at the parts store drooled all over the SUs. I can't blame em. They look horn. Despite having the chokes disconnected, the stock L18 started straight up on the SUs too. Better than can be said for the rotten Nikki! I was still waiting on filters when I posted these first pics.

BTW, the reason for the tubes going into the foam filters is the fuel bowl vents. I'll be dirt racing and I KNOW it will fill up with fine dust otherwise.

My other big challenge after getting it inspected was fuel tank leaks. I managed to find a 510 fuel filler rubber pipe. So I headed up to my fave exhaust shop. North Shore Performance Exhausts. I love the guy for all manner of reasons. His bike/dirt-bike hoarding habit is just one. No word of a lie, he had a penny farthing sitting outside the shop. I was hoping to get the pipe back yesterday but there was a mix up. In the end, he came up with this.

The whole thing went back together this arvo in a short time and after giving it a quick thrash, it works well. No leaks! Yay! Although the car still stinks of fuel fumes. Which brings me to the whole idea of owning a Datsun. Driving it! You can see a few pics I posted of the car this evening when I got home from a test drive. I was able to drive it across to work tonight and then to the shops. I'm still getting used to the Dogleg gearshift. I can see why companies stopped making them. I missed a few gearchanges.

I have to say, the SUs work really well. I'm actually very impressed with them. The filters turned up today. I still need to get it to idle properly. It's either too high or too low. Still it's a LOT better than before. I think it's ready to be a daily and do some events.

P.s. yes, I'm hoping painting things red will make them faster. 😄 

4 hours ago, slowlearner said:

One other thing I discovered yesterday is the odometer is stuck. The speedo needle is also so shakey as to be next to useless. Not sure what to do about that.

I can't help on the Odometer, but I had that issue with the Speedo on my Z it was fluid or binding in the cable (inside the sheathing not the outer portion) pull it out and clean it real good it should help with the bouncing.

Edited by Aaron Datsun
11 hours ago, slowlearner said:

One other thing I discovered yesterday is the odometer is stuck. The speedo needle is also so shakey as to be next to useless. Not sure what to do about that.

They are very easy to disassemble,  just be careful.... at minimum you could try to clean it.... or might be a broken gear on it.... either way on a bench would be about the only way to figure that out....

On the speedometer cable if you try to clean the old one do not lube with regular grease..... I made that mistake and it snapped ... I'm not sure the proper product to use.....

If you can just get a new cable.. much easier and it's done once... 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

They are very easy to disassemble,  just be careful.... at minimum you could try to clean it.... or might be a broken gear on it.... either way on a bench would be about the only way to figure that out....

On the speedometer cable if you try to clean the old one do not lube with regular grease..... I made that mistake and it snapped ... I'm not sure the proper product to use.....

If you can just get a new cable.. much easier and it's done once... 

Lube?  Graphite, usually oil dag, not water dag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Draker said:

I used grease on mine and it was fine. I should have used graphite though. Now it’s gonna be a mess next time. Been a few years and 

Not really sure, I was warned against it after I had done it.... after i used grease my cable snapped in less than a week..... maybe my cable was just that bad... 

If the temperature gauge doesn't work as well it's the small voltage regulator that powers both of them.

If the temperature gauge works find the wire on the gas tank sender and ground it. Gauge should read FULL

Still reads EMPTY..... gauge is bad or wire to the gauge from the tank is broken

Reads FULL.... Everything towards the gauge is good

Tank is not grounded or sender is stuck in the down position or float sunk.

• Like 1