School me on shipping container storage.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy 2 security lights with a solar panel and timer switch.  Available everywhere.  Then run the wires to a 12V computer fan.  I had a fairly large one for mine.  Used magnets on the inside of the vent that was already on the wall of the container.  If you pushed air out of both vents every evening, you’d create slightly negative pressure.  That should prevent condensation.  Doesn’t take much at all.  And you wouldn’t need to cut the roof.   I did one fan in mine just to cool it off.  But I never had condensation issues. 

• Like 1

I was very close to building with 2 40’s and 2 45’s stacked.   Had it drafted, property in mind.   Then found my current house for sale.   Realized my option was very clear.  Live life.  Let others build houses.  I’ll spend the time blowing glass and wrenching

• Like 1

I'm currently building a house.  95% of everything we own is currently inside one of these containers on my property.  My datsuns are stored at various families houses.  Haven't turned a wrench for fun in months.  It certainly blows.

I have been considering buying another and building a roof between them as well.  I guess we will see what happens.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 4:22 PM, hobbes_the_cat said:

So you got 2 of them. Are you going to build a roof across the middle for covered parking? That would be sweet. 

Yes that is my plan and gravel the interior space for more parking.. i traded for some 10' chainlink fence some years ago so will be able to put some junk in there that has been out in the weather for far too long.. but not nice enough to warrant keeping completely protected 

• Like 1
On 10/3/2019 at 3:13 AM, tr8er said:

Buy 2 security lights with a solar panel and timer switch.  Available everywhere.  Then run the wires to a 12V computer fan.  I had a fairly large one for mine.  Used magnets on the inside of the vent that was already on the wall of the container.  If you pushed air out of both vents every evening, you’d create slightly negative pressure.  That should prevent condensation.  Doesn’t take much at all.  And you wouldn’t need to cut the roof.   I did one fan in mine just to cool it off.  But I never had condensation issues. 

Yeah but i put them in under the trees so my wife doesn't have to look at most of them,, so it's shaded almost all day even in summer... Talked to neighbor that shares this property line and probably going to run a line off one of her shed junction boxes and water lines and bury it so if she dies new owners will be giving me free power and water for life.. lol ( we are on wells out here)

I've lived here next door to her since i was about 23 and she is very old now,  so she came up with the idea just to get one over on the people that buy it.... quote ( Well fuck them ,, who gives a shit ,, i'll be god damn dead anyways! )   

My neighbor is trading a young dude for horse and other animal feeding and what-not,,  for letting him build one of those tiny houses and it is right by these,, and didn't wanna spoil his buzz by cutting all the forest down that hides them from his side also...  I know so what but,,, the kid is busting ass on that goofy little thing 

• Like 2

Honestly i don't think anyone ever has described Linda as a neighbor to dream about ,,,,,,,,, like literally ,,,  ever. 

All my other neighbors have died so i am surrounded by strangers now  ... They don't  know how nice they got it not having the 20 somethings next doors friends,  stopping by at all hours of the night,  to show how long of tire tracks they could leave on roadway . Or crashing into and getting stuck on top of,,  the shrubbery ( now trees) in the front yard on way home from bar.. haha. 

• Like 2