Ok...I finally have an A10 510. Why didn't I get one sooner!

Pics posted in my F10 post....i'll get ones up here too.   

Can I swap 78ish headlight buckets/grille onto my 81?

Anybody have ext trim in pac-nw?

Where should I source struts....easy upgrades?

White rt fender in somebody's way?

Can slip a 720 5 speed right in place of the 4speed?~~~driveshaft same length?

Who makes a good 21/8 bolt in exhaust without kinks?

IMG_0006

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I swap 78ish headlight buckets/grille onto my 81?.........not likely as the radiator core support panel will be different!  Might modify to fit.........

Where should I source struts....easy upgrades?.........the 280ZX (not 280Z) did fit a 1979 510, utilizing coilover springs, so I would expect they would fit a 1981.  Use the 68-73 510 adjustable upper camber plates.

Can slip a 720 5 speed right in place of the 4speed?~~~driveshaft same length?.........you will need a NAPZ bellhousing to fit a 77-83 Z/ZX 5speed trans, easy swap.  If you get a later NAPZ 5speed, bellhousing will be correct.  Don't know if d/s length is same 4spd vs 5spd.

Who makes a good 21/8 bolt in exhaust without kinks?...........nobody will make a bolt in kit.  There wasn't even a bolt in kit for the 68-73 510 until Troy Ermish recently made a system that is very close to a bolt in.  Your best bet is to choose a muffler style that you like & have a muffler shop custom bend & install the pipes & muffler.  Don't bother wasting money on mandrel bent (no "kinks") unless you have a turbo powered car...........crimp bend is just fine on a low buck street car & much cheaper!

Hope that helps!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, yenpit said:

Can I swap 78ish headlight buckets/grille onto my 81?.........not likely as the radiator core support panel will be different!  Might modify to fit.........

Where should I source struts....easy upgrades?.........the 280ZX (not 280Z) did fit a 1979 510, utilizing coilover springs, so I would expect they would fit a 1981.  Use the 68-73 510 adjustable upper camber plates.

Can slip a 720 5 speed right in place of the 4speed?~~~driveshaft same length?.........you will need a NAPZ bellhousing to fit a 77-83 Z/ZX 5speed trans, easy swap.  If you get a later NAPZ 5speed, bellhousing will be correct.  Don't know if d/s length is same 4spd vs 5spd.

Who makes a good 21/8 bolt in exhaust without kinks?...........nobody will make a bolt in kit.  There wasn't even a bolt in kit for the 68-73 510 until Troy Ermish recently made a system that is very close to a bolt in.  Your best bet is to choose a muffler style that you like & have a muffler shop custom bend & install the pipes & muffler.  Don't bother wasting money on mandrel bent (no "kinks") unless you have a turbo powered car...........crimp bend is just fine on a low buck street car & much cheaper!

Hope that helps!

Thanks...helpful. I'm sure if I dig thru the posts there is lots of helpful stuff as well. Rationing time spent online. weather favorable for wrenchin'.

The 4 speed is 26" while the 5 speeds are mostly 31.5" However the 720 did have 26" 'shorty' 5 speeds in 2wd that should work if you can find one. The automatic for the HL510 should be 31.5" long so perhaps an automatic driveshaft would be short enough to work. This is what I did on my 710... used an automatic driveshaft. 

zGWQxzR.jpg

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The 4 speed is 26" while the 5 speeds are mostly 31.5" However the 720 did have 26" 'shorty' 5 speeds in 2wd that should work if you can find one. The automatic for the HL510 should be 31.5" long so perhaps an automatic driveshaft would be short enough to work. This is what I did on my 710... used an automatic driveshaft. 

zGWQxzR.jpg

I figured there might be differences....thanks for the tip. Hacksaw, hoseclamps, alum duct tape,JBweld~~~~cut to length-stick back together. 😃

seriously thanks for the accurate specs/dims. Amazing how the members help each other on the forums. I discovered ratsun @ beginning of Canby truck build. I "learned" on my own the ins-outs of 720s. 15years,10 or so trucks.....could of really used u guys way back when. 

On 4/30/2019 at 9:21 AM, yenpit said:

Tail lights......what tail lights?  I wanna know what he's gonna do with that BIG JAR on the hood of the car.....???? 🤪

If you make it to Canby I'd be happy to show you.....that isn't the BIG jar. Plants 6+' tall last outdoor.

• Like 1

New tags on dash. No time today to do anything on it. Going to see if I can get the brand spanking new alternator installed tonight b4 I collapse. Luckily the alternator was in car, useable Weber sitting bat tray. Thinking I will pull the manifold carb all together off of the white 720, install as unit. I have a bit of time port matching carb to adapter to manifold. Truck was a rocketship.....too bad bad ring/guide/head gasket. I don't know how many GALLONS of oil I dumped in it......more than all my previous vehicles combined x2.

Hey...?? Does the rear diff swap 720-a10 510? Would like to put the 720 3.8 diff in 510 & save the 3.3 for a different project. 1

2 hours ago, 4perrev said:

Nice grill emblem! Welcome

Eemblem and taillights from same 1200 sedan. Was waiting in line@ the scrap yard....in semi load of crushed cars I spotted tail end. Luckily I know the owner of the yard and he had car pulled out of the load.....sat it down out of the way so I could quickly scavenge parts. Want a 1200 one of these days. Might have to go swipe draker's 1200 when he isn't looking. 

0508190643c

520 windshields all wrapped up. 

Wasn't able to get free last weekend. Have fuseable link issue......only power to headlights. Alternator did get installed. Not the ideal tire size but car has good rubber on it now. Need center caps for the Turbines. don't think ill keep em on car. prefer steelies with trim rings, dog dishes

• Like 1

Have fire, it popped and tried to start..air fuel mix not quite right. Probably would help if there was a carb on it. Pulled whole shebang off white 720 intake, fuel pump, carb...slave cyl,rad hoses, ground cable etc. 

Update~still need to fix throttle cable but car moves under it's own power and figure out hood clearance so I can build a 14" air cleaner housing.Clutch feels good after new master and slave. Near perfect idle, cap and rotor marginal.I only drove up two driveways and back but I think it will go down the road. Valve adj soon. Just got 1157 light emitting diodes from Amazon yesterday, should have nice bright tail,brake lights, turn/parking in front.

NEED RT FRONT MARKER ASSEMBLY.

Glass H4 conversion housings and bulbs should be here today. SAVE the three original bulbs. 

I can tell it needs struts in front~???query....can I use 240z rear strut cartridges in the front? 

Kyb361001

can buy these locally for $10. Any recommendations on which adjustable upper strut mounts I should buy? No aspirations to lower car more than an inch or so, I need it to be user friendly-no rubbing, dragging bottom across speedbumps etc. Did source low cost rear shocks thru Amazon as well, might be in mailbox. Also picked up complete kit of AirLift overload air bags that I think I can retrofit for trailer towing duty soon as I get hitch sorted out.

Don't be surprised to see me towing a flatbed with the F10 and swap meet parts behind the 510 @ Canby!!Found DEAL at knects in bargain bin, $2 for plug and play trailer lights with diode pack to convert 3 bulb turnsignals to 2 wire. Plug snapped right into tail housings, no cutting,splicing,tape,solder,test light,etc 😏 have trailer brake controller on nightstand.

????query can I swap diff "pumpkin" with a 720 diff? Car 3.3 but have 3.8 or 4.3. I'll bet the "little hooker" will need another 3.3 eventually, it got my last one.

Pics coming, have to get back at it. Many 12+ hour days past few weeks, crunch time for Canby!

*anybody local have a spot to park a running non expired tags car temporarily? Need fewer cars in drive, landlady feathers ruffled. Don't care if on street parking, can leave the key just in case. Can compensate the favor with some premium outdoor.

So I should swap housings....any nissan with same stuff for hooking up suspension? 3.3 165 desirable?

3 minutes ago, bananahamuck said:

Oh I think I misunderstood you ,, I thought you had 190 out of 720,, A10 has tiny 165 rear end 720 has 190 with much bigger axles 

i think You can directly  swap in a 82-83 200sx  rear as they have 190s but pretty rare so be prepared for some sticker shock.... And 165 rears ain't worth shit in after market money .. A dude hubblebubble  ran a stock 165 behind his Ka24de 78 A10) till he crashed it ,,  so they should easily hold up to Z20

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Thanks 1