Ok...I finally have an A10 510. Why didn't I get one sooner!

The HL510 or A10 used an H-156 differential. So did the early 610 wagon the 710 the S10 200sx (first gen) and '80-'81 S110 200sx. (second gen) All these cars came with different axle widths, some were coil spring some leaf, but the differential gears were the same 165mm diameter.

The '79 A10 used a 3.545 ratio but all '80 and up with Z20 engines used the 3.364 (standards or automatics)

This is ok for mileage but shitty for performance.

First year 610 wagon ('73) used a 3.889 ratio.

First year 710 sedan or wagon ('74) automatic used a 4.11*, four speed used 3.889 sedan or wagon. All other years, auto or manual with L20B '75 up were 3.70

S10 ('77-'79) used 3.889 for 4 speed and 3.70 for automatics.

S110 ('80-'81) all used 3.70 ratio.

* This is what I put in my '76 710 wagon to replace the 3.70 that was in it. Let me tell you it was the best thing I have ever done to the car. It completely woke up every gear. I have a mid ratio 5 speed from a 280zx in it and it pulls like crazy in 5th now. I highly recommend getting rid of that boat anchor 3.364 and move up to a 3.70 or even a 3.889. Your engine will be revving higher at the same speed compared to your gears in it now. Revved higher = making more power. I get 28 MPG US gal on trips so expect your mileage to drop slightly but you'll be grinnin' like a foo.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

I am not sure if 165 rears came in very many gear ratios Datzen Mike might know

I'll bet he'll have some data. he must have a stack of factory books at his fingertips....he gives accurate info all time.

0516192021-1~2

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The HL510 or A10 used an H-156 differential. So did the early 610 wagon the 710 the S10 200sx (first gen) and '80-'81 S110 200sx. (second gen) All these cars came with different axle widths, some were coil spring some leaf, but the differential gears were the same 165mm diameter.

The '79 A10 used a 3.545 ratio but all '80 and up with Z20 engines used the 3.364 (standards or automatics)

This is ok for mileage but shitty for performance.

First year 610 wagon ('73) used a 3.889 ratio.

First year 710 sedan or wagon ('74) automatic used a 4.11*, four speed used 3.889 sedan or wagon. All other years, auto or manual with L20B '75 up were 3.70

S10 ('77-'79) used 3.889 for 4 speed and 3.70 for automatics.

S110 ('80-'81) all used 3.70 ratio.

* This is what I put in my '76 710 wagon to replace the 3.70 that was in it. Let me tell you it was the best thing I have ever done to the car. It completely woke up every gear. I have a mid ratio 5 speed from a 280zx in it and it pulls like crazy in 5th now. I highly recommend getting rid of that boat anchor 3.364 and move up to a 3.70 or even a 3.889. Your engine will be revving higher at the same speed compared to your gears in it now. Revved higher = making more power. I get 28 MPG US gal on trips so expect your mileage to drop slightly but you'll be grinnin' like a foo.  

Yes....the 3.8 z22 combo in the white truck would flat boogie. Shit you not....with 85mph peg pulled on Speedo~could put needle on the H(MPH) coming out of 4th gear. Something inside Speedo prevents it from letting needle travel farther. That's why I was itchin' to slide it in the 510. Might be more plausible to just cut off attachments on stock housing and weld back on a 720 housing. Rather spend that money on a plasma cutter to make job easier. For now ill just make do....my 79 210 hatch with a14 auto was a total slug, but it was reliable.

The list I provided shows what cars and years had what you need. Much easier to pop the axles out to the side to disengage them, disconnect the driveshaft, unbolt and remove the 3rd member. Installation is the reverse.

New rear shocks came ups yesterday. Re-did throttle cable routing, turned bellcrank~now pulls from bottom towards valve cover, cleaner install less bends in cable housing. KA melling oil pump installed along with my distributor off the white truck. Fuel line burst between carb and mechanical fuel pump, fuel everywhere lickity split. Oil pressure better but fuel leak stopped my test run. Tightened up ex to manifold flange shoulda fixed put-a-put down by the steering box. Found sealing washer for clutch hyd line in driveway, yep drip drip explained. Fixed vac leak around pcv valve, loose valve cover,missing head to ex bolt. $2 a qt bargain Mobil1 5-20w,new wix oil filter, and ounce of some antiwear super lube we used when kart racing....developed by NASA can't get anymore. More pics later.