I'm back....check out my newest Datto score! F10 sportswagon

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Draker said:

Looks good man. This 510 is also known as the a10. 

Glad to see you getting them sorted out and back on the road.

I had it running real sweet till sucked up junk primary circuit on carb. Won’t idle with out artificial enrichment via choke cable. Have weber adapter and carb core to go over. I don’t want to work on a hitachi carb unless someone is paying me. Honestly i am going to sell after I can do a thorough job of making car look as best it can fix minor stuff. It will go with a good weber. I’m taking to canby to try and sell. I’m going to get the 510 100%. It feels kinda like a 720 kc inside. I’m keeping it around for a while maybe longer.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:29 PM, datsunwhacko520 said:

Hey everyone....there is a 510 in my driveway! Pictures sooner than f10. More pics of f10 too. 👍😁

Better get used to calling it an A10 or an HL510 to keep readers from confusing it with with the other 510.

Way less work and $ to fix the Hitachi.  Consider the $280 saved for a new weber your payment. Better get a new fuel filter.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Better get used to calling it an A10 or an HL510 to keep readers from confusing it with with the other 510.

Way less work and $ to fix the Hitachi.  Consider the $280 saved for a new weber your payment. Better get a new fuel filter.

You can get weber parts/rebuild kits at almost any parts house without having to special order....don't have to buy complete kit either.  Hitachi kits are not alcohol resistant, newer fuel eats up the parts. Weber easier to work on, wealth of info available. My time is worth $$$. Weber at least 1/3 cheaper from where I sit. Maybe the pre emissions versions are simpler and more cost effective but I'd only spend the time on one if had to be a correct restoration. If I am patient I can find a use-able core and rebuild for less than$150 cash. I made my last adapter on my 720 out of uhmw cost $5 for remnant. States that req visual smog check probably no alternative...If I lived in one of those states I'd rotate one good hitachi around(never have just 1  Datsun) for inspection. Then take off,replace with weber....keep in box for next inspection. I never had one....but that holly 2barrel is kick ass too.

Filters a must. This new fuel turns stuffinside carb fuzzy,chalky,scales if sits very long........even if absolutely clean when it when in. Wish we could get old school LEADED premium gas...valve seats/guides would be happier too.

• Like 4

No food-based fuel goes into my personal old vehicles or small displacement machinery. I'm lucky, in that respect, to be located in 'fly-over country'. At least half a dozen stations to suck up non-ethanol fuel in an area of 25K population. Being out in the boonies has its drawbacks, but outweighed by far by the positives. For my hilbilly arse anyway. 'Let It Be' !!

• Like 5
On 4/30/2019 at 12:14 AM, datsunwhacko520 said:

I had it running real sweet till sucked up junk primary circuit on carb. Won’t idle with out artificial enrichment via choke cable. Have weber adapter and carb core to go over. I don’t want to work on a hitachi carb unless someone is paying me. Honestly i am going to sell after I can do a thorough job of making car look as best it can fix minor stuff. It will go with a good weber. I’m taking to canby to try and sell. I’m going to get the 510 100%. It feels kinda like a 720 kc inside. I’m keeping it around for a while maybe longer.

Car sat overnite.....turned key today w/no choke & fired up idled. Back to running sweet again. Accl pump a little weak....not super crisp off idle-2500. Comes alive around 3500 but needs more cfm to be happy.....could I use su's from rwd cars? what about twin 30mm vw solex carbs? Was considering looking for the 5 speed but did some reading...same final gear ratio. I'm looking to buy a go pro so I can upload vid of car eating up the pavement. Bought a $39.99 harbor tire machine. There is a reason it costs $39.99. After a little r&d/back yard engineering  I fixed the joke of bead breaker attachment. Started to break down/do swaps so I can get F10 & 510 on safe rubber that doesn't rub~change speedo.Discovered loose 
+ battery terminal...end repair not secure on cable to starter. Probably explains why previous owner said it had a bad battery....took charge been using it no issue.  510 transfer new tags dmv early am,.then 510 tasks Going to put 510 back on active duty by the weekend. F10 will be taken out of service to do full detail inside, 2000 grit wetdry-polish-glaze-buff out exterior~get the minor repairs done, get ready to show at Canby.Hopefully I will find an enthusiastic new owner for it. Won't sell if I know it's going to be parted out/abused/neglected.

$$ from sale earmarked for 510

• Like 1

Gotta love Hitachi carbon--aters.....back to artificial enrichment via chokecable. Weber needs to happen. Where do I find the time? Maybe one of these days I will be able to get rested and make car happy again. 

0506192334a

0506192336-1~2

0506192326-1

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, datsunwhacko520 said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vjwuba9daw2AMPs29

Maybe it works....if not will follow draker's suggestion...thanks 😎

I tried it, link worked. Sorry for some garbled background noise. Car is a bunch of fun.....been like 2 years since I had a driving Datsun. Good spin balance would help....I mounted the tires manually with cheapo harbor tire machine, couple long pry bars. Going to try pulling plug at bottom of carb and use compressed air in throat of carb to maybe blow chunk of crap back into float bowl. 

• Like 1

I know where that is and also know a sheriff likes to patrol that area, you're lucky you didn't get picked off, at that speed you would have been arrested for reckless driving and gotten license suspended plus car impounded. Be more careful where you speed, bud.

• Like 1
On 4/30/2019 at 6:00 AM, datzenmike said:

Problem is you still have the Hitachi!  LOL

• Like 1