Sr20 swap alternator options

Turbosauce74

Middle of an sr20 swap into a 620 and I would prefer to use the stock alternator instead of the Subaru one. I had a 77 amp alternator before the swap and it could barely keep up to my sound system, so the 50 amp justy alternator will get cooked for sure. Has anyone made a bra ket to keep the stock one or bigger? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the problem with the 620. The lower rad hose wraps around the alternator and enters the timing cover just above it so you can't go too high. A z car water inlet is swept back slightly more and helps move the hose back and away but intimately the inlet fitting is still in the way. I used a 720 3 bolt block mount. It moves the alternator slightly higher than the L series ones. To mount it I had to put the belt on the pulley first then the two lower bolts into the block mount. Then the tensioner strap, tighten the belt, then the two bottom bolts. I had a 90 amp Chrysler K-car alternator.

There's room on the distributor side for an air conditioner compressor so there's got to be room for an alternator.  There's also several threaded holes on the side of the block for this or the earlier air pump. I broke the bolts off an old 521 I had back in the 70s and a friend moved the stock alternator to the distributor side. Seemed like there was lots of room and no rad hose in the way.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

This is the problem with the 620. The lower rad hose wraps around the alternator and enters the timing cover just above it so you can't go too high. A z car water inlet is swept back slightly more and helps move the hose back and away but intimately the inlet fitting is still in the way. I used a 720 3 bolt block mount. It moves the alternator slightly higher than the L series ones. To mount it I had to put the belt on the pulley first then the two lower bolts into the block mount. Then the tensioner strap, tighten the belt, then the two bottom bolts. I had a 90 amp Chrysler K-car alternator.

There's room on the distributor side for an air conditioner compressor so there's got to be room for an alternator.  There's also several threaded holes on the side of the block for this or the earlier air pump. I broke the bolts off an old 521 I had back in the 70s and a friend moved the stock alternator to the distributor side. Seemed like there was lots of room and no rad hose in the way.

I think you missed the sr20 part ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Turbosauce74 said:

Steering box is in the way unfortunately. It could stay on the side it's on if I just mounted it a slight bit higher. 

It actually mounts the alternator up high, above the ac pump, on the other side.

Picture 1 of 10

I have a bracket to relocate the stock alternator 1" up, just waiting for Jeff to make a couple prototypes. :)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

It actually mounts the alternator up high, above the ac pump, on the other side.

Picture 1 of 10

I have a bracket to relocate the stock alternator 1" up, just waiting for Jeff to make a couple prototypes. ?

Do you have an info? Maybe a CAD file? I could always 3d print a prototype. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 6:49 PM, Turbosauce74 said:

That's a decent option, I couldn't find that before. If this sr20 relocate bracket doesn't work I may have to go that route. Thanks a lot. 

Plastic prototype bracket is currently printing 

Turbo.... for the good of the order, can you post a pic of your solution? What does the new bracket look like?

Did you end up using the 120 amp Justy alt or an SR alt?

Spriso: Does your Justy alt mounting kit work with that 120amp hi output Justy alt as well?

Steve: If the prototype bracket works will you be making these? Just curious.

Edited by ol' 320
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok lets discuss pros/cons 

I think keeping the stock hardware is a good idea, but more room can be made with shorter bolts. 

The turnbuckle needs somewhere to attach the fixed end.
Using a timing cover bolt gives more/better adjustment. 

Incorporating it into the mount will increase the size of the part, material and shipping could go up. 

Here is the current design using shorter bolts.
The part of the mount you can see at the bottom is an extra hole, that portion of the mount will not be there and the alternator will be able to rotate out from the block quite a bit.  

160406.jpg

160412.jpg

Thanks to Turbosauce74 for working on the prototypes for this. 

• Like 1
On 2/10/2019 at 2:33 PM, ol' 320 said:

Turbo.... for the good of the order, can you post a pic of your solution? What does the new bracket look like?

Did you end up using the 120 amp Justy alt or an SR alt?

Spriso: Does your Justy alt mounting kit work with that 120amp hi output Justy alt as well?

Steve: If the prototype bracket works will you be making these? Just curious.

I am going to make these yes. Still not sure on the final design, I want to nail it down per the pros/cons above. 

• Like 1
On 2/10/2019 at 2:33 PM, ol' 320 said:

Yes, our Subaru Justy alternator kit works with the 120amp alternator (same case, higher output internals).

24109246150_78d1bf1c40_b.jpg

24037043259_23f1b3e3f0_b.jpg

24378634166_5c0199408e_o.jpg

Also now comes with a billet pulley (no more spacer and modified pulley):

37539616820_ebe9e45cd7_b.jpg

Our bracket/pulley kit fits nice and tight to the block, and is a proven design with 18+ years of being on the market.

Michael

Edited by spriso
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, spriso said:

Yes, our Subaru Justy alternator kit works with the 120amp alternator (same case, higher output internals).

24109246150_78d1bf1c40_b.jpg

Our bracket/pulley kit fits nice and tight to the block, and is a proven design with 18+ years of being on the market.

Michael

Black oxide bolts!!!!   

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...