1974 620 4x4 selling not sure what to ask

Scotrp

I've got a 1974 620 4x4 I want to sell, it hasn't ran for years. But 4x4s of that year are rare and being a 74 it's smog exempt here in California so it's gotta be worth a decent price. Any ideas on how much I should ask? The truck is complete no broken glass some rust and I believe it had a bad head gasket. I tried to find something similar for sale to get a price but they are so rare I couldn't find one.

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would depend on if running or what's needed to make it run if not.

If it can't be driven a lot of other things cannot be checked. Like steering, BRAKES!, suspension, electrical (lights, wiper, heater etc) drive train noise, does it re-start when hot, does it over heat, does the charging system work, is the exhaust rusted out, does it shift gears properly, does the transfer case shift and work? Otherwise it's a 'pig in a poke'. Worth about what you might guess the parts on it are worth.

• Like 2

Unless the head gasket popped a way long time ago and the water sat in the cylinders.. Then it's probably fucked 

It's almost impossible to even guess at the worth of something without seeing at least grainy pictures of it. 

Example

For Sale T bucket street rod everything was in good working order last time i drove it. 

565322_60f7.jpg

• Like 1

Unless the head gasket popped a way long time ago and the water sat in the cylinders.. Then it's probably fucked 

It's almost impossible to even guess at the worth of something without seeing at least grainy pictures of it. 

Example

For Sale T bucket street rod everything was in good working order last time i drove it. 

565322_60f7.jpg

Now that's a Hot Rod. :lol:

• Like 1

He was here last July 5th and posted and left. Don't hold your breath.

On 7/5/2018 at 2:02 PM, Scotrp said:

I've got a 1974 620 4x4 I want to sell, it hasn't ran for years. But 4x4s of that year are rare and being a 74 it's smog exempt here in California so it's gotta be worth a decent price. Any ideas on how much I should ask? The truck is complete no broken glass some rust and I believe it had a bad head gasket. I tried to find something similar for sale to get a price but they are so rare I couldn't find one.

It's going to be hard to get that decent price if it doesn't run. It can be very disappointing.

• Like 1

I had a 74 620 factory 4x4, and I have seen them come up for sale here in running condition for $2000.

Alot of them that run/drive but need work are $1200, but you are only going to draw in the guys that know Datsuns, so expect to get offers around $800 otherwise keep it to fix up for you.

• Like 1

Pricing on a classic vehicle can be tricky. If you're going for top dollar, condition is obviously the most important factor, but so is rarity, character and where that vehicle is on the trend-meter.

Condition needs to be firmly established. As mentioned above, how bad is it? You'll need to do some legwork and find out why it doesn't run, etc.

Rarity - this is a Datsun pickup, but it's a 4x4, and you should find out who it was manufactured by (there were a few conversion companies at the time). Knowing this will help justify the asking price.

Character - does it have original paint, lots of patina, cool period correct stickers in the windows, disco era shag carpet? Or has it been messed with over the years? If the character is relevant to anything, then leave it alone and let the buyer decide. This could actually help with the price.

Trend-o-meter  - All vintage 4x4's are coming of age in the collector market, so if this is in fact an original dealer sold 4x4, that does count for something.

If you're not going for top dollar, then you don't need to do anything. I have a saying for when I'm selling a vehicle cheap -  "for that price, you don't get to ask questions!"