Engine just turns off while driving. Any thoughts?

olskool720

86 720 king cab

z24

automatic

While driving, the engine will just stop running.  It'll putter, then just calmly stop running.  Pull it over to side of the road and try to restart. Won't restart. Come back an hour or so later. Boom. Works and gets me home.

I'm not much of an engine guy.  Any thoughts on what it could be?  Mechanic recently adjusted the stock carb.  Also added a fuel additive.  But of course, it never does it while he has it.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was anything swapped recently? coil ?

Otherwise when it does this you need to ck for spark at the main coil that goes to the center part of the distributor. Pull it out of dist cap and place near chassis and see if you see a spark.   Do this when it does run so youll know what to look for when it doesnt .

I would also ck the carb if possible and cycle the linakge to make sure gas is being squired in the carb.if it dont then your running out of gas in the carb bowl.

• Like 2

I had an 86 720 Z24 carb, the elec fuel pump was going bad, would work then overheat and stop, then cool down and work again. 

I just ran a Facet $50 one and my own 12V to it from a dash switch to eliminate the pump relay/ECU control of it.

The dizzy modules inside are known to go bad also,

• Like 2

SPARK...

Modules are inside distributor and not touchable. Next time pull a plug wire off intake side, put an old plug in the end, lay on a grounded surface and turn engine over with the starter. GOT SPARK? If YES then not module or intake side coil. You can check the exhaust side too if you want but it should start with only the intake side. 

FUEL...

Next time it quits, look at sight glass on front of garb. Fuel should be visible and at the dot. GOT FUEL? If yes, not fuel pump.

• Like 2

Next time it quits spray starter fluid in the carb. No fire it is an ignition issue probably an ancient coil giving up the ghost. While driving and it stops running period sounds totally on the ignition side. Usually a fuel issue is gradual but if the fuel pump is overheating to the point it shuts down you will get the symptoms you ate getting. Not much help sorry, but get a can of starting fluid and give it a go the next time the engine quits.

• Like 2