Timing chain

Trod8812

yeh, i'm with stoff, I even went on to take a piece of stick, maybe 1/4 " thick, on put in the # 1 spark plug hole and watch the stick go all the way up, then you can see the piston way at the top. Eventhough your timing mark pointer looks straight, one time a Ratsuner had one that was all bent and could not figure out why his timing was off.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wipe that oil pump spindle good. there is a dimple on there. Its not the half moon ,

get to 1128

now if you get 11 28 and the rotor lands between 1 and 3 plug wires and the timming plates adjusted then maybe someone got the other type matchbox dist during its history and made it work (there was 2) and they are off like 20degs

I heard of flipping that timming plate upside down to maybe get it to work.

its like timming a clock. YOu know its NOON(motor is at TDC). now just get the arms of the clock to match.

spindal placement when utting in the front cover 11.28

timming slot adjustments and the underside of the dist slots

distributor mount tang is correct if stock set up  or a another dist came from the other type of matchbox and tang would be set up 20deg off.

if the later then only way to make it work would be to move spindal

wipe that oil pump spindle good. there is a dimple on there. Its not the half moon ,

get to 1128

now if you get 11 28 and the rotor lands between 1 and 3 plug wires and the timming plates adjusted then maybe someone got the other type matchbox dist during its history and made it work (there was 2) and they are off like 20degs

I heard of flipping that timming plate upside down to maybe get it to work.

its like timming a clock. YOu know its NOON(motor is at TDC). now just get the arms of the clock to match.

spindal placement when utting in the front cover 11.28

timming slot adjustments and the underside of the dist slots

distributor mount tang is correct if stock set up  or a another dist came from the other type of matchbox and tang would be set up 20deg off.

if the later then only way to make it work would be to move spindal

I can see the dot in the spindle, so he's not using the half moon on the upper surface.

Everyone assumes TDC is at noon. Nobody knows it unless it has been verified. A good engine builder or mechanic always verifies it before proceeding to the next step.

I honestly suspect that the OP is either not lining the oil pump up correctly before he stabs the spindle, or there's a problem with actual TDC, whether it's the crank pulley, the pointer or who knows what.

• Like 1

My favorite customer mis-conception of #1 TDC is that although the #1 piston is at TDC, it may not be the compression stroke; how did he verify that it is the compression stroke?  At the very least put your finger in the spark pug hole to FEEL compression; OR take the valve cover OFF and look at the cam lobes!

If you look at previous pictures you would see the the motor is apart, all spark plugs are out and I verified TDC by looking into the cylinder and with a screwdriver and could feel the compression with my thumb over the hole. It is at TDC on the compression stroke and even if I don’t line up the oil pump first and put in the oil drive, At 11:28 the rotor will not line up with the cap unless I move it over about 2 teeth in either direction, there is not enough adjustment on the distributor plates.

YOur last sentance says it all

To me your Matchbox dist doesnt match your dist mount. LIke I said before there was 2 types. Datzenmike as photos of these.  the Matchbox did come with 2 types . If one ordered a Matchbox as a rebuild I guess you could have the wrong type you had and the prvios owner of the truck figured it out by dropping the oil pump spindal and moving it a tooth or 2.

You try flipping the timming plate?