Trod8812

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A90CAD8C-FB19-4C46-BD27-430B3DF4AFDB_zps

A9D33B7E-1D69-4233-A89A-40BD0F1800F3_zps

Are now correct. You can't really check the V notch to the line on the cam thrust plate until you have the timing cover on and can accurately set TDC using the timing scale.

To do so, all the slack must be on the passenger side where the tensioner is. To get this, the engine must be turned by the crank bolt, puling down on the timing chain keeping the driver's side tight as you bring the engine to TDC. You must not turn the engine backwards to set TDC or you will introduce slack on the driver's side. If you over shoot past TDC back the crank up well before TDC and try again. Might take 4-5 tries but bring to TDC while turning in a clockwise direction only.... and stop. 

like I said one can put the front cover on to have TDC cked. remember go clock wise with tension on the chain and put to Zero on crank then ck the cam timming.

Now I noticed chain said made in USA. I only use Japan made chains.. I cant verify it totally made correct but if you put the brite link on the dimplea and shows the sprocket adv then maybe move it that half link back and do the timming front cover ck again. This is how I would do it with a non marked chain.

remember to not rotate the chain /crank Couter clock wise. it has to be clock wise

datzenenmike post above is how it SHOULD be  and line up with marks. #2 sprocket setting  is L20 usually

you watch my vid? it will anwser your own question if you watched it.

put cover on with the timming plate and dial it up to zero on the crank whle during the crank clockwise tull it hits zero mark then look at the cam sprocket and see where it at.(vid explains it)  so watch it before you shame yourself anymore.

But its on the vid before I tear the motor down on how to do it.

to check put cover on loosely and timming plat and ck it

you almost have it your right there. it will runs that way but not be optimal

• Like 1