Timing chain

Trod8812

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Hainz said, as long as it works it does not matter.  Rotor must be under one of the plug wires on the cap AND there has to be some adjustment room for setting the advance. Once rotor is under a plug wire that becomes #1 and the rest are 3 4 2 in a counter clockwise direction on the cap.

I cked my vid and my dimple is different.Its not a half moon. that might be from manf or assemble of shaft.

well anyway pull it out move it Counter clock wise and reinstall till its 1128. remeber this rotates abit when installing so could be a tooth off. then where rotor lands is your TDC and adjust the timming plates so it center tighten the timming plate to the dist (underside) then you can adjust from the front cover Tab the rest once running

dude this is SIMPLE

Now if I had a distributor that had the driving spindle completely encased as one unit I would just turn the rotor until one matches up and that would be my number 1, so if I just turn the spindle until it will match up it should be fine? What about taking the motor to 12 degrees before top dead center and aligning it that way for an initial timing?

I think you need to try again...and again, until you get it right. I'm not going to speculate any more on why it's not working, but just pull it out and move it counter clockwise until you get it right.

Someone said to pull the spindle up into the correct location and then install the pump. That's a great way to do it, as long as you can get the slot in the oil pump to match up. If you have a long needle nose vise grip, use it to hold the spindle from the top and that will free up your hands while you adjust the oil pump.

Also, I never rely on timing pointers unless I verify TDC with a long screwdriver through a spark plug hole. There are so many ways which the TDC pointers can get screwed up or mix matched with other pulleys that it's just not something I assume to be right. Verify it and then mark it with some paint.

• Like 1