Heater Blower Motor not working?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Motor could be bad, or froze up.

i know in mine it was froze up, i took a hammer and lightly tapped the motor and it kicked on :D

Checking the wiring, tap it once or twice while switch on. also, disconnect the wire connectors going to the blower, remove it if possible and hookup to some power and test it outside. if it kicks on it could be the switch in the dash, if it doesnt then its probably the motor.

just my thoughts, but i am sure there are better ways someone can tell you

Motor could be bad, or froze up.

i know in mine it was froze up, i took a hammer and lightly tapped the motor and it kicked on :D

Checking the wiring, tap it once or twice while switch on. also, disconnect the wire connectors going to the blower, remove it if possible and hookup to some power and test it outside. if it kicks on it could be the switch in the dash, if it doesnt then its probably the motor.

just my thoughts, but i am sure there are better ways someone can tell you

note tho, mine only works on speed 3, not 2 or 1 so not sure what thats about, probably jsut the motor tho

note tho, mine only works on speed 3, not 2 or 1 so not sure what thats about, probably jsut the motor tho

Find the Blue (power) and the Black (ground) wires where they plug into the heater assy. Above the gas pedal If I remember. There should be a couple of Philips screws holding this thing: (or not)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/electrical620heatertwospeedcoil.jpg[/img]"]electrical620heatertwospeedcoil.jpg

... with the coiled wire inside the housing. HI speed, is power through the motor and to ground. LOW speed, is power through the motor and through a coil to provide resistance and then to ground giving a slower speed. If you have no LOW speed there is a break in the coil or a wire is loose or off. If you remove the coil and it's broken, you could twist the broken ends together to get it working. Next time you are in the wreckers, grab one.

Mike, remove the front tabs and pull the cover off. Like most heaters the core may be full of rodent nests, pine needles and leaves. If full it could be backed up into the motor.

like h2theizzo says,the motor may just need a jar to make contact and away it'll go. Just recently I helped a friend of my wife's with a no fan problem in her Dakota. Her ex b/f installed a new core but didn't get the fan running. Two winters without defrost! Checked fuse wiring to switches, to the motor. Exposed the 'exercise wheel' and pushed it with my finger and it jumped ahead and stopped. Did it several times but wouldn't loosen up completely and keep going. As a parting shot I tapped the center (motor shaft) and away it went full speed. Every time she comes over she thanks me.:D

Edited by datzenmike
  • 3 weeks later...
Found the problem...

My eyes, which are connected to my brain.

:D

Right there on the panel it says to "Pull" the slider switch for "On"

I've always been told I have two speeds,

On and More-On

:)

I know how you feel, I bought a 77 620 in the summer (4 yrs ago), when winter set in it took me about 2 to 3 weeks to figure out how the hell the fan turns on.

light off (clap clap) LIGHTS ON - DUH

• 3 years later...