hughdogz's Datsun S130T

hughdogz

This is where I am now. I can add the already done stuff at a later time.

Here is a mockup of my 3" downpipe, it is looking promising so far.

t0.jpg

About 1/2" from the firewall :o

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

I know I still have a couple leaks to fix :lol:

Cheers! -hughdogz

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the comments Guys!

Hi Shady, I do have stiffer springs than OEM. I have the Tokico advanced handling kit:

280ZX - Front (Linear) 175 lb. in.

280ZX - Rear (Linear) 200 lb. in.

I think my ride is pretty darn stiff already :blink: I'm not sure the "blues" struts will have enough damping to handle more than 200 lb / in spring rate they have now. I'm planning on getting stiffer springs and struts using coilovers someday.

I totally agree though, it looks funny when the whole car shifts weight and squats... You know the S130's are notorious for that. :o The way I'm looking at it is that I get more grip, from the weight transfer when I shift. :rolleyes:

If the overboost cut wouldn't have kicked in (~2/3 way through 1st gear), you would have seen only one super-squat in that 1/4 mile vid. :lol:

yeah these cars squat mega, i got mercedes springs in mine and it doesnt squat near that much. the tokicos arent all that stiff i find, well at least not in the rear, i liked the front ones in my buddies s130, but his rears were the same and it still did the squat. mine goes down about 1/2 to 1 inch on launch now, which means better and faster launch. all that down energy now goes to making it move, what a diff.

The focus is on drag racing only for now. :mellow: I figure it's a cheap, easy way to get familiar with sanctioned racing (and a safe way to test out the progress while I'm building the Z).

Later I hope to do some track events...I took a couple of parade laps around PIR before, and the curves are where it's at!!

It will always be my street car. ;)

• 1 month later...
whats up with the speaker box, it says datsun on it???

It also says 550w :D

Haha!! I thought you guys would notice that. Yeah, they really are "Datsun" 6x9 speakers. Even the grills say Datsun! :cool: I was perusing ebay a few years back. It can surprise you what shows up under Datsun that is not in ebay motors.

My old set were Pioneer 150W and these Datsun 550W freakin' Jam over those!! The magnet is like 4" diameter...

I really want to sound deaden my car though. After driving for 10+ hours (like on the trip to SoCal for MSA) you start to lose your hearing from road noise and the stereo. You're like...WTF? I have the stereo cranked up way too high and I can barely hear it!!

Plus, it seems like the entire unibody starts to heat soak after 10+ hours of driving too, so I'd better wrap the exhaust that I have tucked in there tighter than stock!! :D

[Edit: Leaning the DP on the speaker box was like putting a halfway naked chick in an ebay ad, LOL]

Edited by hughdogz

hahahah i was wondering about those. yeah i drove 16 hours to oregon on the way home, then another 6ish home to canada. i was there for 2007. its amazing how much road noise there is. its not bad in town on short trips, but those long ones make your ears hurt. we shoulda convoyed down and back

Yeah, that would be awesome to convoy down with you guys. I remember in 2007 your convoy left a day earlier than my buddy Bryan could get off work. Then this year, Bleach left even earlier so he could see more sights.

Next year, Skib wants to join me and Bryan (he should have the turbo swap done by then too!). Maybe we'll hit up San Diego again (or at least north county). Bryan has been going since 1998 (I think) and I've been going every year since 2002 (I missed one year since I was too broke after buying a house).

I think it is fun as hell going on ~2400 mile road trip. You work on your ride all winter and spring, then you get to really test it out. Taking the 50 MPH curves at say 70-80 MPH is a blast. Passing everything on the uphills is great with just the stock turbo.

I remember coming down the grapevine, I was hangin' with a Mercedes Macleran SLR(?). The thing was hauling ass...probably 120-130 MPH for many miles and I finally couldn't keep up for fear I'd get pulled over instead of him. :unsure:

Invariably, something always seems to break down, or rattle loose. It is fun figuring out how to MacGyver the sheit back together. We've had brake caliper bolts vibrate completely off (x2). Modify cooling fans, T/C rods breaking in half, lighting problems from running H4 lights without relays, taillight fuse constantly blowing, even sun visors vibrating loose! :blink:

I think I liked the MSA show better when it was on the streets of Orange instead of Oak Canyon. It is still cool though. I also want to find a better place to stay...extended stay Americas just suck!!

Edited by hughdogz
  • 4 weeks later...

Got the Turbo head back from the Machine Shop!! :P

Pics (of course)

head1.JPG

head2.JPG

head3.JPG

head4.JPG

head5.JPG

head6.JPG

head7.JPG

head9.JPG

Did my own valve unshrouding, ported and radii-s'ed runners, bowls, removed guide "lumps" new valve guides, seats with 4/5 angle valve job. All done at home achieving ~1cc tolerance between combustion chambers!!

(not bad for my first try...thanks again to Paul at Rusch Motorsports :thumbsup:)

Edited by hughdogz