A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

Well I made progress on the nissan over the weekend..... after trying to be delicate for some reason, I realized I should just cut the control arm completely out of the way so I have better access to the mounting bolts that need to be cut..... worked well...

The nissan engineers had me removing the cv joint to get the lower ball joint free.... thankfully I only had to remove the main nut and I was able to move the spindle far enough to get the ball joint  out....

All I need now are the new camber bolts to arrive then I can final torque everything....

Also datsun tires showed up today.... those will be installed Wednesday and hopefully get valid stick by the weekend.....

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Nissan got a good sticker last week after a full rebuild of the front end... Probably gonna replace the tie rods just to freshen everything and finsh with an alignment... since I have bothered yet.

Also passed the state inspection today with the datsun, but they did find some play developing in the front end... I'll have to have a look and see where it's moving.  Atleast I have a year to worry about that....

20240603_171314.thumb.jpg.68d338c6eba7bd37caaf8b57b852a770.jpg

Screenshot_20240603_173920_Gallery.thumb.jpg.a6f756a3f5b904d37fb87b22368e7233.jpg

• Like 5

Well i had to fix my exhaust cutout, the valve got stuck closed. Luckily it was as easy as remove clean and reinstall...

How ever while I had it jacked up I check the front end movement and its definitely coming from the king pin.

I'm guessing I have to replace the inner bushings again. 

How long should they last?

I rebuild them when I got the truck back on the road, it's been about 21,000 miles....

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Time for a balljoint conversion!

You know that's exactly what I said.... 

I really wish someone figured out a good conversion....

I know I saved some information about a guy here who used some Chevy luv parts plus I don't know what else..... but I don't believe we ever heard how it drove or if it was able to be aligned properly....

I always wish I had some time and money to r+d it ... as always plenty of ideas with no way to execute  ... 

I actually have a set of oem bushings for the king pins.... if I'm lucky I can just swap them out and be good... I feel like I should be able to reuse the pin.... 

Sounds like i have a winter project...

I thought the same thing Im on my 3rd set of Kingpins.

This time I will run them alot longer and not worry about the wiggle. I have  feeling 90% of the 521s have worn kingpins

King pinset are out of my price range now over 150 bucks.

Miike Klotz of soembody was thinking of making the just the bushning part, All seem to be over sized then reem to fit the pin. just reuse the other parts if possible

I have one kingpin set left

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I thought the same thing Im on my 3rd set of Kingpins.

This time I will run them alot longer and not worry about the wiggle. I have  feeling 90% of the 521s have worn kingpins

King pinset are out of my price range now over 150 bucks.

Miike Klotz of soembody was thinking of making the just the bushning part, All seem to be over sized then reem to fit the pin. just reuse the other parts if possible

I have one kingpin set left

How long do they generally last?

Be honest I think they last as long as you dont look for the proplem.

I think I swapped it the 2nd time was maybe 50 k miles/

really one side was really still good but the other was wiggly and I swapped them out But really I figures it go another 15years

I got about 350k on the truck total. Did new center link and tierods. and the upper links that held the assembly on both sides.  I need to get spares. The lower big fulcrum pin I had to sawzall 2 of them out total. I couldnt pound them out so I used those spares up also

If someone has a wrecked 521 get all those items.

I myself dont care anymore I dont drive the truck much so Im good for awhile. I got a 91and 92 toyotas pickups 2wd as daileys now and love them

• Like 1

There is truck in a local junk yard... I picked a couple parts off it....

I'd love to get the front section of the frame with the control arms on it.... 

Use that to make a jig and find a way to get a ball joint setup without any down time driving my truck....  

But I doubt they will let me..... 

Maybe I can find a way to make up a jig to replicate my frame when I go to work on the king pin.... the use that jig to figure something out for the next time....

8 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

You know that's exactly what I said.... 

I really wish someone figured out a good conversion....

I know I saved some information about a guy here who used some Chevy luv parts plus I don't know what else..... but I don't believe we ever heard how it drove or if it was able to be aligned properly....

I always wish I had some time and money to r+d it ... as always plenty of ideas with no way to execute  ... 

I actually have a set of oem bushings for the king pins.... if I'm lucky I can just swap them out and be good... I feel like I should be able to reuse the pin.... 

Sounds like i have a winter project...

I know a guy...

On a completely different side note not even relevant to datsun....

Maybe nissan because I'll be using it to bring this home for the wife....

Not perfect but perfect for her.. clean title and paper work and a daily driver as it sits.... perfect to keep running and slowly upgrade as needed....

Screenshot_20240613_072547_Messenger.jpg

• Like 1

My '71 were bad when I got it, ... but ignorance is bliss. I didn't even know what a king pin was. The steering was stiff and after a night of partying on muddy roads the steering would loosen from the water. Years later I bought a kit and a shop in town did the machine work. I wonder today if they did it right to line up the grease holes. In 6 months is was just like it was. Said fuck it.

• Like 1

Putting the nissan to work for the next couple days....

Headed off to geogia this morning managed about 550 miles today after getting the trailer...

Connecticut, new York, and new jersey traffic sucked... once through I was able to make good time..... tomorrow should be good.  Picking up and old friend about 2 hours from where I'm going. He happened to have moved to South Carolina a few years ago, I just happened to be driving through his town ... we will get the bus and then after i got free place to crash for the night before heading back home.

Screenshot_20240615_223142_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

Best deal in hauling cars! I’ve taken to do “local” round trips too- usually cheaper even including the extra gas to empty haul it down, and nice to not have to drive around for your trailer where ever you go.

Good to see that Frontier putting in work! That bus is pretty cool too!

6 hours ago, demo243 said:

Best deal in hauling cars! I’ve taken to do “local” round trips too- usually cheaper even including the extra gas to empty haul it down, and nice to not have to drive around for your trailer where ever you go.

Good to see that Frontier putting in work! That bus is pretty cool too!

Ya the trailer was cheap.... only like $220 for 4 days.... bringing back by 9 on the 5th day...

Made it home today after 2200 miles total round trip....150 for 2 hotel nights, not sure the gas cost yet....

I was gonna hire a hauler but decided to do the deal in person, which ended up working out... there were some unknown issues so she took another 500 off to deal with those.... nothing major. ...still worth it... wife is beyond happy so that all that matters....

Frontier survived with minor injuries...

I think the idler or tensioner pulley is going out and I blew a hole in the exhaust somehow.... still not to bad.

Screenshot_20240618_152923_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4