My 1973 240Z Widebody Project

Thanks guys!

And ty for the B-D wishes!

Friday I got the block up to a local machine shop:

1) he is going to drill out the main oil galley plugs, so it can be flushed as well. I think he also wants to tap the holes for plugs, just to help. Kept mentioning it, saying he had the correct Allen plugs, even though I mentioned repeatedly I'm pretty broke, and trying to keep my cost down.

2) a nice, long soak in his de-greasing tank, and a nice flushing of the oil system.

He said that the days of guys spending big bucks on custom hi-po engines are gone. People just aren't building engines up like they used to, as far as machine work goes. Simple stock work for the most part, even on Hot Rod motors.

Edited by agentalpha
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He said that the days of guys spending big bucks on custom hi-po engines are gone. People just aren't building engines up like they used to, as far as machine work goes. Simple stock work for the most part, even on Hot Rod motors.

good to hear work is pushing forward man. the above statement kinda makes me sad when i get the motor for my truck to that point imm gonna go all out

My unit's floor is now covered in oil absorbent/cat litter-ish crap from Kragen's.

Only problem there is no public use trash/dumpsters.

I have to cart it out, somehow.

YAY!

I would go with a cardboard box, lined with a trash bag, scoop it all into that, and take to autozone. they dispose of it for free :)

It's stealthy, plus easy to handle :)

Thanks Bro.

Yeah, moving forward. Will be cleaning and measuring, and hopefully beginning to bolt it back together within a week or so. I haven't touched the head yet, and I have lots of porting and blueprinting to do there. I also have some aluminum TIG work to do, and have to swap the 2.8 pistons onto the 2.6 rods. The machine shop said only $30 bucks to swap the pistons, but he was speaking of cracking the small ends of the 2.8L rods to make it easy. I don't think he remembers that these are forged factory rods, not cast iron. PLUS, they probably could be re-worked, and I really don't want to scrap 'em, if I can avoid it. Just wish I had a different set of 2.8L pistons to use.

It is kinda sad. I remember when I built my 390FE Ford Big Block, I spent $1,400 on machine work alone. Never did see the top speed in that '65 Galaxie. At 120 MPH, I still had 1,500RPM till redline left on the motor. The thing about those motors, is the curve is exponential. The more you wind 'em, the more power you make. I bet I coulda had 145+MPH in her. BRUTAL freaking car. Something about 120 MPH+ in a huge car, with a single circuit brake system, with DRUMS all the way around scared the Piss outta me. That car WAS Thunder Kiss '65 all the way. Best way to describe it would be imagine a WWII fighter plane going down the highway. Gutted, bare bones interior, loud as f^(K. Nothing but an insane motor in a body. At idle, it sounded like 100 Harleys, sync'd, punching your chest, throb throb throb throb...

Here's a pic from back in the day, @ Summer, 1999.

YES. I get my hands dirty, and BUILD cars.

Not one to poke @ the Internet 24/7, dreaming and regurgitating heresay and BS...

SomewhereintheFordGalaxy.jpg

I designed/fabricated the hood scoop, if you were wondering.

And, if you can tell me what movie you saw this set from, you are cool.

HINT: The location was also seen in Shawshank Redemption.

Name the Locale, and you are UBER!

Nice suggestion. I should have an extra box somewhere. TY.

After cleaning all the parts, I will be scrubbing out the unit, to get rid of the dust/dirt for engine re-assembly. I want the area surgically clean.

Edited by agentalpha
  • 3 weeks later...

Video? lol

Dunno.

I don't own a vid camera, and don't think parentals or siblings do either.

I'll see what I can do when the time comes.

Stopped by the machine shop to check on my block, and to pay for the hot tanking. Wouldn't take my cash, and it still hasn't been done yet. He IS drilling, tapping, and plugging the main oil galley for me for free, so I can't complain, really. He also said the longer he has it at the shop, the less he'll charge me.:rolleyes:

I just want to get out of my storage unit soon, as $100 a month is getting old. Which I can't so until the motor is together and in the car.

I have other crap to do(thanks again Fineline for the tool loan), so I'll keep busy. Pics of some other parts, and the head as I port it. The JDM N42 is going on the car. The whole project is filled with vintage, rare, and JDM parts, so it's VERY appropriate. Just incredibly surprised no one jumped on the chance to buy an original, uber clean JDM head that I've never seen for sale anywhere else in the USA. That's fine by me, I'll take the additional exclusivity. The list is getting pretty long.

Edited by agentalpha

im excited man i cant wait to hear this thing what are your plans for exhaust? true duals or just a regular single? depending on how much i get back from the insurance company my l20b will be at the machine shop before it goes into the "new" 610 at the very least it will get bored out im thinking .10 over maybe .20 not sure yet new pistons rings bearings the works :D it will be nice and since i wont have smog i get to go all out im watching your project man once both are cars are good to go we should get together again and have a photoshoot :D

im excited man i cant wait to hear this thing what are your plans for exhaust? true duals or just a regular single? depending on how much i get back from the insurance company my l20b will be at the machine shop before it goes into the "new" 610 at the very least it will get bored out im thinking .10 over maybe .20 not sure yet new pistons rings bearings the works :D it will be nice and since i wont have smog i get to go all out im watching your project man once both are cars are good to go we should get together again and have a photoshoot :D

A 2 1/2" full exhaust. Anything bigger is really too much for carbs and street driving. We are speaking of only a 2.8L.

Congrats on getting another car!!

If ya can, I would try to keep the bore stock. The more you bore it, the less life it has, ya know? Bore it if it needs, but if not, good enough. And if ya can have a vintage motor that's still serviceable by one's grandkids...

But that's just me.;)

Thanks man. Been tinkering with the carbs and intake. As I port the intake, I will form 2 small, low drag vortex generators. The goal is to induce controlled swirl, in a "tornado" form, as to pack as much dense air and well mixed fuel, at all throttle positions, into the cylinders. Should really help increase the torque output...

I also have an experimental velocity stack design for the same purpose. Just need to find 6 steel stacks for uber cheap that I can weld onto...

Pics very soon.

Sounds good. Be cool to hang again.

Need to figure out the logistics of that meet...

Edited by agentalpha

sweet good to hear man i wanna see how this thing pulls when its done

i want to leave it as close to stock as possible keeps cost down and dependability up the "new" car is a 73 no smog this time around :D

i like the idea with the intake i think you could get away with porting it without polishing it that would probibly get the desired effect

yes i agree this meet will be epic worth the effort

SO.

I finally got the parts down to my house for de-greasing.

I didn't want to stink up the storage building.

MAN! I'm glad I did. You can smell that de-grease shit outside.

Got the crank REALLY nice and clean.

Rods and pistons tomorrow.

I tell ya what, those front oil seals make a NASTY mess when they are going out, don't they? WOW. Both of the front covers I have are as nasty as they come. Never seen timing chain covers so caked with thick gunk and filth before, and both of 'em are like that. Also have the nicer(at least as far as dent free) oil pan soaking. I want to get the cover, pan, and exterior bits cleaned and prepped, so I can shoot them the initial coat of red.

Took the JDM N42 apart as well. Have a little cleaning and TIG to do on it.

Then the port work.

Need to TIG a few small sand casting pits on my valve cover as well.

Also bought 2 cans of the white 1300-2000 degree silicon/ceramic header paint. I am going to sand and then chemically kill the rust, than coat them uber thick with the paint, then eventually wrap them. But the wrap will have to wait for now. The main thing is killing what rust IS there. Also need to get some thick steel to weld into where the smog bungs are. WTF. It was only 40 bucks, and in very good shape.

Those carbs and intake are looking awesome.

Pics of all my shenanigans tomorrow.

Edited by agentalpha
it says agentalpha was banned what happend?

He will be back. He just needed time to chill. ;)

He has a lot to offer when he is not being so up tight that he lets everything get to him. I just hope he takes this opportunity to recollect and realize that no one here wishes him any harm or bad feelings.

It seems all too often that those who are hyper sensitive to every little jab or resistance to their opinion get themselves in a bind because they start to take everything as if it were personal and meant to disrespect or put them down. I respect him, but he needs to give it back.

As a community we all have different personalities and opinions about everything under the sun. Not everyone will agree about everything...as the saying goes:

"You can make some of the people happy all the time, all of the people happy some of the time but you can't make all of the people happy all the time"

We all get our toes stepped on now and then, but this does not always require a retaliatory response because we get offended. Civil discussion goes much farther than commands or a demanding statement. :cool:

Edited by Phlebmaster