right hand drive 620

rat tail dragger

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you'd likely have to import the parts from an asian country such as tailand, japan, taiwan, etc. There are auction houses that sell to canada, you could find a contact you trust and get the whole truck... bring it down and...

Would be cheaper to just do it all custom... I haven't looked at the 620's firewall very closely, but the 521 is stamped the same on both sides...

• Like 1

Good luck getting parts out of Japan. Earlier this year Steroid was able to get EVERYTHING needed for a RHD swap for 1 of his 620's He knew a guy who knew a guy & with the help of his son who was stationed there in the navy it made it here...but it was'nt cheap.

i was thinking about doing this to my 510... all i would need is the right hand drive steering box. then everything else is just cut drill and move over. then fill the other holes in check out your firewall you might be suprised

I think you would need the dash too!

My RHD 620 project more than likely won't be started until after the holidays but it is the next project that I will tackle. What I purchased, with a BIG help from the Navy on shipping costs, is a complete firewall with pedals, windshield wiper motor, dash, guages, RHD glovebox door. Next box has all RHD steering column complete with column stick shift lever and hardware. Next package has RHD cowl. Look closely at the Japanese photos. I almost didn't notice this but RHD trucks have the windshild wipers opposite of what We have over here. My son, Cayton, actually made a last minute trip to the guys house to get it!! 4th box has wire loom and RHD parts. In looking at what I have and what I need to do, I will plasma cut out the firewall on a 1976 truck carefully. I will then trim the RHD firewall and slide it in place from inside the cab. Naturally I will have removed the steering column, master cylynders and lines first. It looks like it will go pretty smoothly from there. The main thing that I have no idea how I will do is to somehow hookup the column shifter linkage to a top "levered" transmission like We all have. The Japanese transmission linkage comes out of the side. Possibly I will just run an automatic. More on that later.

I tried hooking up with a guy on ebay in Australia to purchase RHD parts. The Japan deal was much cheaper to do. Maybe somebody in Australia can help You. I am still trying to obtain windwing parts somehow from Australia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am told that a RHD firewall is available in Australia. I know nothing more than that, but the owner/seller is on here so He can let You know more on it's purchase.

Hey Snail........... Do NZ trucks have windwings or solid side windows?

whats the legal issue with making your car/truck RHD, I mean I seen them driving all over the place and getting pulled over. If its regsiter in us then converted do you still have to have state patrol inspec it? idea of RHD floating in my head for the 240sx

Hi all

hey Greiggy my brother lives i (Kew Victoria ) and a buddy if his that works at the air line down there i'll e-mail him for a little help.

this we i can have him send the dash or dashs to LAX then pick them uo and send them out to all the 620 lovers that need a RHD dash.

I'll take one too. bert

Hi all

hey Greiggy my brother lives i (Kew Victoria ) and a buddy if his that works at the air line down there i'll e-mail him for a little help.

this we i can have him send the dash or dashs to LAX then pick them up and send them out to all the 620 lovers that need a RHD dash.

I'll take one too. bert

Not to rain on the parade, but a RHD daily driver is not the greatest thing in the US. Have any of you ever sat in a RHD vehicle and tried to make a left turn in front of traffic? Piss-poor idea unless you're really tall or the vehicle in the turn lane across from you isn't really tall.

And there isn't the option of any drive up conveniences, like banks, take-out, etc. Cool for an ocassional ride or show rig, but just throwing out some of the problems associated with.

I've seen folks go through a drive-thru ATM backwards so the passenger could use it. Toll booths would be a bigger issue.

One of the drive-thrus burger joints by me has windows on both sides (lanes on each side of a booth-sized building). But the speaker boxes are only on the left. You'd have to yell really loud to order, but have no problem picking the stuff up.

The left lane is supposed to be used only by folks who have a passenger to hand money/grab food, but I've driven through by myself with the Datsun truck... I know how close to get. The cashier mentioned one time that I "Almost hit the guardrail". I told her I could try again if she'd prefer.