'74 Cactus Green

FrankRizzo

So file this under things that really piss me off.

Ever since I did the Z32 conversion the front brakes rattle. If I lightly press the pedal it goes away. I've pulled the wheels half a dozen times and cant find anything wrong, but he pad is kind of sloppy but held in place. Everything is new. New calipers, rotors & pads. I've greased the pins reset the pads...nothing works.

So I get the bright idea to look up the FSM for a '92 Z32 300ZX front brakes. I see that here is supposed to be a "clip" (anti rattle clip) that holds the pads in place...I check the box that the PowerStop calipers came in and there is nothing there. I check the website and it clearly shows the clip. 

KWGkF9u.jpg

So I order the factory piece. $22 each from nissanpartsdeal. grrrr. Its been well over a year so I'm pretty sure RockAuto would tell me to pound sand. I'm not stupid enough to have thrown them away, I'm convinced they were not in the box and I dont know enough about 1992 Nissan 300ZX turbo brakes to know they were supposed to be there...

FMQLcvU.jpg

Installed. Guess what? The rattle is gone.

4tnYfYC.jpg

I'm just beyond irked that they were not in there. No way I would have missed them. I'm not that careless. Just had to vent because it just the way shit is now a days I guess.

rant over...

Edited by FrankRizzo
Spellung
  • Like 1
  • Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The clip works well, but there it allows the pads to drag on the rotors. Toyota calipers used a spring that went across from one pad to the other to help keep the pads from resting on the rotor.

https://www.amazon.com/OES-Genuine-Rattle-Spring-select/dp/B001G7MJVO

image.png.ab5c2aa2f0881cbdc8b266cd3817b152.png

image.png

• Like 1

Frank, couple of comments on your Z32 brakes. 

1. Take note of the pad material that is above your rotor and not on the rotor surface where it belongs. I have a design for a rotor adapter that elimnates this issue. And provides better braking. Eventually the overhang will cause some wierd pad wear and could cause the pads to hang up. 

20230127-090147.jpg

20230124-181051.jpg

20230127-090205.jpg

2. You are correct in that you were missing some of the brake hardware, but you're still missing more. I was just looking at this yesterday and ordered all the OEM hardware from Japan. Even with the high shipping its still cheaper than buying from the greedy dealers here stateside. $39 vs  $110. The part number is 41080-40P26, the kit is comprised mostly of shims, likely for NVH abatment but there is also some very small spring clips that attach to the pins on one side only, I do not know why aftermarkets don't supply these. 

Edited by Wildcat Walker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/16/2023 at 4:49 AM, Wildcat Walker said:

Frank, couple of comments on your Z32 brakes. 

1. Take note of the pad material that is above your rotor and not on the rotor surface where it belongs. I have a design for a rotor adapter that elimnates this issue. And provides better braking. Eventually the overhang will cause some wierd pad wear and could cause the pads to hang up. 

2. You are correct in that you were missing some of the brake hardware, but you're still missing more. I was just looking at this yesterday and ordered all the OEM hardware from Japan. Even with the high shipping its still cheaper than buying from the greedy dealers here stateside. $39 vs  $110. The part number is 41080-40P26, the kit is comprised mostly of shims, likely for NVH abatment but there is also some very small spring clips that attach to the pins on one side only, I do not know why aftermarkets don't supply these. 

Thanks for the tip(s). Are you going to sell your adaptor? I'd give it a try.

Also - the pads were from PowerStop also, kelvar if I recall. They had built in epoxy coated anti squeal shims on the back and I seem to recall the instructions saying to to use the factory hardware.

On 4/16/2023 at 9:12 AM, six2ohyea said:

Love this build. Do you still have the rally wheels?

No, I tried selling them for about a year and finally ended up scrapping them.

They are easy to get. I think it is wheel vintiques that sells repos: 15x8 K5 Steelies.

• Sad 1
On 4/16/2023 at 10:12 AM, six2ohyea said:

Love this build. Do you still have the rally wheels?

If interested, I have a set of the original aluminum 5 slot wheels, includes 2 center caps. They were listed for some time on classifieds. If interested I'll dredge up pics from my old computer.

On 4/18/2023 at 4:09 PM, FrankRizzo said:

Thanks for the tip(s). Are you going to sell your adaptor? I'd give it a try.

Also - the pads were from PowerStop also, kelvar if I recall. They had built in epoxy coated anti squeal shims on the back and I seem to recall the instructions saying to to use the factory hardware.

Frank, I may be getting a run of these soon. When I do, I'll let you know. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...