'74 Cactus Green

FrankRizzo

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It certainly is flatter in the turns. The front bar made the largest difference. makes routing driving around town feel less like you are going to tip over.

I took it up to Mulholland on Saturday. To be honest, the ancient non rack and pinion steering sucks for sporty driving...add to that the leaf springs and unloaded bed in the rear and the small cab where you sit too close to the steering wheel....makes for a less than confidence inspiring canyon carver.

If you really wanted to get super sporty in a 620 methinks you'd need to swap in the IRS from a 240SX like Porty's chop shop is doing.

1 hour ago, FrankRizzo said:

It certainly is flatter in the turns. The front bar made the largest difference. makes routing driving around town feel less like you are going to tip over.

I took it up to Mulholland on Saturday. To be honest, the ancient non rack and pinion steering sucks for sporty driving...add to that the leaf springs and unloaded bed in the rear and the small cab where you sit too close to the steering wheel....makes for a less than confidence inspiring canyon carver.

If you really wanted to get super sporty in a 620 methinks you'd need to swap in the IRS from a 240SX like Porty's chop shop is doing.

That is good news! Just what I am looking for- flatten it out a little bit in the corners. Ive got the 510 for when I really want to carve up some roads.

• 1 month later...

My Clutch Master we getting pretty bad - so I decided to replace the Clutch master and slave cylinders. Well, the non stock 7" booster makes it really hard. I found the factory 4" booster on RockAuto about a year ago and never installed it, so now looked like a good time ... because I had to!

Before:

kNi1aXz.jpg

New 4" booster and new clutch cylinder with my 15/16"

caXwSsB.jpg

AmLshgc.jpg

Also - - - -I ordered the conversion kit from Beebani so I can upgrade to the larger rotors and Z32 4 piston front brakes for my D21 spindles.

Should be here a a few weeks, so I'll update that as well when the time comes. I dont recall seeing one on a 620?

Edited by FrankRizzo
  • Like 3
14 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

^ Yeah, I ran a combo of 11/32" vacuum tubing and 3/8" coated steel fuel line under the booster and tucked behind the engine because the port is on the other side. I used my tubing bender to make a 180 degree turn under the booster.

I need to copy this. I have so many things ran above the engine and one less will be that much nicer 😄

• Like 2

Well... Rizzo... I’m impressed.  I really like the way this has come together.

My question is.... rrrrreeeeeeeally old in this thread but are all of your gauges accurate?  I’m curious as to how the fuel gauge worked out specifically.  Do you feel that it tracks well with your actual fuel level?

• Like 1
On 3/15/2021 at 9:37 PM, 5t341tH said:

I need to copy this. I have so many things ran above the engine and one less will be that much nicer 😄

Here are a couple more pics of the booster vacuum line. The port off the engine is 10mm, so I figured 3/8" coated fuel line should be fine and it has been so far. I used the correct vacuum hose so it would not collapse.

IX4S1Y0.jpg

9cX82Rv.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Soundline said:

Well... Rizzo... I’m impressed.  I really like the way this has come together.

My question is.... rrrrreeeeeeeally old in this thread but are all of your gauges accurate?  I’m curious as to how the fuel gauge worked out specifically.  Do you feel that it tracks well with your actual fuel level?

I think they are. The speedo is GPS, so there is no issue there. I think the tank only holds like 8 gallons and works pretty good with the default 90-zero setting and the factory sender. Once we get near an 1/8 of the tank or so I fill up. I dont trust it that much, but it is close. I think the Datsun sender is actually 90 to ten ohms, so it might be off a little bit .

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TrevDaddy said:

Where did you source that 15/16" master? Also did you make the adapter plate for it? I've looked around for a similar setup but none of the ones I see listed include the reservoirs. I have the stock booster from 77'

Dave at Arizona Z car. He has new ones in stock with the reservoirs, caps and adapter plate for $129.00, that is where I got mine. The two side bolts dont line up, so  I cut them off and just used the top and bottom ones. The factory stuff only has two bolts

Scroll down to the middle of the page:

http://www.arizonazcar.com/brake.html

• Like 2
On 1/25/2021 at 10:03 PM, FrankRizzo said:

Rear sway bar is in.

0O4Fgom.jpg

F3fF36S.jpg

Any issues with the bumpstops/frame catching the sway bar? 

Working on installing my rear futofab sway now and it seems similar to yours - basically sitting on top of the u bolts and looks like the bump or frame will hit the bar on full compression... essentially taking away ~1" of travel from my already very little bit...

• Like 1
11 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

^ no, but I'm only lowered 2" in the front AND rear...but my bump stops dont look like they will hit the bar. There is a little blank spot on top of the axle that line up with the stops.

Yea... Im 3" inches so I trimmed my bump stops which removed that point on them. I went ahead an installed the rear sway yesterday as you have it (as the instructions tell you to mount it) - I pulled my cut bumps and angled them too. One of these days I need to find a replacement option for them. We'll see how it goes... 

Tried to mount the front bar up to but I guess the '78-79 trucks need longer endlinks so I had to order up a set of those.

• Like 2
On 3/22/2021 at 3:54 PM, EDM620 said:

It looks like the IRS from a G35 also can be adapted to fit

The front and rear suspensions line up pretty good with the stock frame depending on your desired ride height.

On 3/22/2021 at 5:10 PM, FrankRizzo said:

Props to Mike for excellent vids...

He definitely makes some good videos. Look forward to his uploads.

FrankRizzo, if you are interested I am the original owner of your little 620.  I just came across the original owners manual that you are welcome to if you would like it.  I can also share a few photos of it's time with me from 1974-2009.

Mark Stevens - Seattle, WA

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Sparky54 said:

FrankRizzo, if you are interested I am the original owner of your little 620.  I just came across the original owners manual that you are welcome to if you would like it.  I can also share a few photos of it's time with me from 1974-2009.

Awesome! 😄

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Sparky54 said:

Hi Mark!

I got your PM, would love to speak to you! Very Cool!

I'll send you my info! 🤤

• Like 2

Back in the day Gary Narusawa swapped S chassis subframes into a 620 for part of a build for Project Car Magazine.  He had a thread on here at the time and even put a Ratsun shift knob in the truck that someone here sent him.  That was a very cool build.  I wish the magazine had survived long enough to show him finishing it.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Lockleaf said:

Back in the day Gary Narusawa swapped S chassis subframes into a 620 for part of a build for Project Car Magazine.  He had a thread on here at the time and even put a Ratsun shift knob in the truck that someone here sent him.  That was a very cool build.  I wish the magazine had survived long enough to show him finishing it.

I still have a copy of that mag in the collection somewhere. 
I came across it on the shelf and it had a Ratsun shoutout in it. So I got in touch with Gary, had a good chat and invited him to come post on the forums.

I was buying it off the shelf, it was a great idea for a mag. Deff a shame it didn't continue. But I guess most younger guys dont really do mags anymore?
I guess Im just still old enough where I looked forward to a new issue of a car mag or Thrasher magazine coming out. 

uSuIq1J.jpg

• Like 1