'74 Cactus Green

FrankRizzo

Just now, Skib said:

I still have a copy of that mag in the collection somewhere. 
I came across it on the shelf and it had a Ratsun shoutout in it. So I got in touch with Gary, had a good chat and invited him to come post on the forums.

I was buying it off the shelf, it was a great idea for a mag. Deff a shame it didn't continue. But I guess most younger guys dont really do mags anymore?
I guess Im just still old enough where I looked forward to a new issue of a car mag or Thrasher magazine coming out. 

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a143/lostplanb/camp in/img003.jpg

I have every copy of that magazine they put out except for two, which bums me out.  I looked at both of them on the shelf at stores, then thought "These don't apply to anything I want, so why bother?"  I really wish I had them now.  I check Ebay periodically for copies still.  I loved that magazine.  It was real tech and I learned a ton from it back in the day.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Lockleaf said:

"These don't apply to anything I want, so why bother?"  I really wish I had them now.  

Why I dont have lots of mags lol but I still have a collection of Project Car, Grassroots Motorsports, Nissan Sport Magazine, and a Z car specific mag 

• Like 1
On 3/28/2021 at 9:17 PM, Sparky54 said:

FrankRizzo, if you are interested I am the original owner of your little 620.  I just came across the original owners manual that you are welcome to if you would like it.  I can also share a few photos of it's time with me from 1974-2009.

Mark Stevens - Seattle, WA

Well Boys and Girls...here is a cool story...

Mark reached out to me above (thanks Ratsun!) and we ended up having a great conversation about my (his) truck.

Mark's mom was the original purchaser and it got handed down to Mark and it was in his Family for over 35 years! He sent me a pic of the original title, which was cool. He also sent me a pic of the odometer when he sold it....86,000 miles. When I swapped the gauges out the odo with the Speedhut gauges, it was at 96,xxx and ive put about 1,300 miles on it since - so I truly have an under 100k miles truck.

Looks like he sold it to DatDoug (Somebody linked that post to me bust most of the pics were dead), then Chris R bought it, and I bought it from him and shipped it to CA - so I'm the 4th owner.

Pretty cool to have such a direct link to it's history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a ton of cool pics from Mark - so I thought I'd share a few with y'all:

XDM3YRx.jpg

svvFdp9.jpg

This one is dated 1968!

yQKsYtX.jpg

Edited by FrankRizzo
  • Like 5
On 3/31/2021 at 1:10 PM, Skib said:

I still have a copy of that mag in the collection somewhere. 
I came across it on the shelf and it had a Ratsun shoutout in it. So I got in touch with Gary, had a good chat and invited him to come post on the forums.

I was buying it off the shelf, it was a great idea for a mag. Deff a shame it didn't continue. But I guess most younger guys dont really do mags anymore?
I guess Im just still old enough where I looked forward to a new issue of a car mag or Thrasher magazine coming out. 

uSuIq1J.jpg

I too like magazines, miss them.

I got a subscription to cartoons magazine to feed that and the latest issue is Datsuns. 😄

This is out of order ....but my preferred paint guy called me and had an opening - so I jumped on it and dropped the truck off to get repainted.

I'm keeping the factory cactus green color (of course). He is doing a glass out and taking the bed off paint job.

bGhLvgJ.jpg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MIKEYFTW said:

Just did a speed hit gauge conversion. Having problems with the temp sensor.. do I get the male to male or female to male adapter from discount hydraulic?

Male metric x female NPT

This is the fitting that gets you to 1/4' NPT, then you can get a brass busing that takes from 1/4" to 1/8" to screw the sender into (they sell the bushing at Home Depot in the plumbing section):

https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/m12x125-metric-male-x-14-nptf-female.html

Edited by FrankRizzo
cat food
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 8:39 AM, FrankRizzo said:

Male metric x female NPT

This is the fitting that gets you to 1/4' NPT, then you can get a brass busing that takes from 1/4" to 1/8" to screw the sender into (they sell the bushing at Home Depot in the plumbing section):

https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/m12x125-metric-male-x-14-nptf-female.html

Thanks! Just ordered the piece 

• 1 month later...

Pulled the bed off and found some rust on the back of the bed. Its pretty minimal, so Jack (my paint shop) is going to fix it. Luckily it is only on the bed, not the cab. I told him that this is a "back burner" project so no rush...

FWIW Left Coast Datsun screwed up my bed and cab mount install and will have to figure out new mounts again...

2fdvhRU.jpg

r1bOg9L.jpg

kEdiYhn.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lde9WOt.jpg

Painting is done, starting to reassemble. Gas tank went back in today. Still need to color sand and adjust everything.

They kept leaving the truck out in the sun to bake out impurities under the skin after priming and first color coat. Sure enough, after a few days a few boogers would come up thru the surface and they would sand those down and reprime and set it back in the sun...and repeat ...I think they got everything.

JVfAh8Z.jpg

Made sure to get these fookers out while the windshield was out so I can redo the dash later. The one in the middle was a real bitch and would have probably broken the glass...

• Like 4
8 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Lde9WOt.jpg

Painting is done, starting to reassemble. Gas tank went back in today. Still need to color sand and adjust everything.

They kept leaving the truck out in the sun to bake out impurities under the skin after priming and first color coat. Sure enough, after a few days a few boogers would come up thru the surface and they would sand those down and reprime and set it back in the sun...and repeat ...I think they got everything.

JVfAh8Z.jpg

Made sure to get these fookers out while the windshield was out so I can redo the dash later. The one in the middle was a real bitch and would have probably broken the glass...

Did you at least teach them about impact drivers?

• Like 1

LoLz ^

Yeah, they are truley old school. He did not want an impact to cam out and dent or scratch the metal part of the dash, so instead they used a #3 with one person turning and the other person pushing down.

Either way - he got it out.

on another note....did you move?