'74 Cactus Green

FrankRizzo

"Ha - read your 'signature' and it seems we have something in common.  My first car was a '71 2 door 510 which ended up cut up in a junk yard.  Smashed my '78 KC into a cement wall and tagged a guard rail hard with my 810 wagon.  I also feel like I'm trying to atone for my sins.  "

well - that's just embarrassing.  Turns out that wasn't your signature I read... 🤣

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/25/2022 at 9:38 AM, FrankRizzo said:

Wish me luck

Pulled the dash to get restored at Just Dashes. 4 to 6 month lead time! Jeez....

This is what I need to do pretty desperately. It's tough having a truck out here in Ohio...

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Got the dash back from Just Dashes

they did an amazing job. I also had them do the glovebox door, ashtray and parcel shelf

The first pic of the yellow dash is when I stopped by last month to check on the progress. I think that is primer/glue because it was pretty sticky.

FomlUXH.jpg

d2XBxu0.jpg

vDXUhnB.jpg

Now I have to get back to work! Like Puddin says "sittin on your ass - wont finish your projects"

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Soundline said:

Seriously Rizzo, this build has made me want to move forward with my lowered standards build.

Is that kind of a "I've lowered my standards, up yours" type thing?🤪

• Like 1
On 7/29/2022 at 4:24 AM, KELMO said:

Is that kind of a "I've lowered my standards, up yours" type thing?🤪

Hah, hadn’t really thought about my wording there.  To clarify, I’m changing my build approach, I just ordered some KA swap mounts, disk brakes, Eastwood brake line building supplies… and a bunch of other tools/parts.  I won’t be at this truck’s level when I’m done, but it’ll be much more fun. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

A few updates:

Got new kick panels from TreeAswa on Instagram. Stuff is top notch:

m5uCziS.jpg

Also - im redoing a lot of the stereo stuff because dashoutwynot...

v1CjgLd.jpg

Kicker 5 1/4 test fit Thanks to the thickness of the panels, they fit the factory locations.

ixUysSN.jpg

Replacing the 8" sub with this new CV 10". It fits behind the seat.

sRm6tbm.jpg

Ordered a new repop glove box from Ebay. Its pretty good.

Other stuff I forgot to photo. New Blue Sea fuseblock and associated wiring for all the aftermarket electronics is in. ECU and relays mounted and dash is in.

Wont be making the JCCS next weekend...

• Like 2
On 7/17/2022 at 3:55 PM, FrankRizzo said:

Got the dash back from Just Dashes

they did an amazing job. I also had them do the glovebox door, ashtray and parcel shelf

The first pic of the yellow dash is when I stopped by last month to check on the progress. I think that is primer/glue because it was pretty sticky.

FomlUXH.jpg

I watched a Leno episode yesterday and he visited Just Dashes and they walked through their whole process.  It was interesting to watch.

• Like 1

Yeah, if the market is large enough for some vehicles, they need to do some automation or reproduction, not just hand work each example.

I found it cool that needing one for his 240Z is what started the owner down the path, so Datsun started it all.  Weird thing is he could have likely bought a new one from Nissan in 1981.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Dash is back in! Yay😜!!!

Some pics:

tb6DGzt.jpg

r3KvfJa.jpg

I ended up buying a new glovebox liner off a seller on ebay at it was perfect. I installed the AFR gage in there and will also put the remote sub level control in the box also.

BFSrm6S.jpg

Installed a Class D NVX 200 w/ch amp for the front separate speakers, under the passenger seat.

LsVANqC.jpg

CV 10" self powered subwoofer, behind the passenger seat

HvUIuH8.jpg

Kicker 5 1/4 separates in the kick panels

LyNqJ5t.jpg 

Still have to clean up some wiring under the hood & install the seat.

I really need to find someone local to do the final  tune on the ECU, still runs really rich and the "auto tune" feature can only do so much...

• Like 3
On 10/18/2022 at 1:31 PM, FrankRizzo said:

Yeah, retrosound. If you scroll back in this build thread, you'll see it. I used the AM radio decals. Its pretty stealth.

Kick panels are from Treeaswa on IG, scroll up a few posts and you can see them compared to the fiberboard.

Thanks yep I found them after seeing their work on here.  Might get some shifter boots and kick panels from them and realised I had some 5 inchers from a project still in the box.

My retrosound is in production, hardware finally arrived in AU so hopefully have it this month.  Aussie guy does a Datsun panel for them or has had it made.

Edited by RyanC