Coolant filters

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time I bought antifreeze, it was about $11.00 A gallon, for the Prestone green stuff.  Not an off brand, that was at Walmart,   About ten aisles over, (this was one of the small "local" Walmarts), was distilled water, 88 cents a gallon.  That makes two gallons of fresh 50/50 coolant, for about $12.00.   A 521/L-16 takes a little less than two gallons of coolant.

Lets say, you can get and install a coolant filter, for $50.00 dollars.  For the same $50.00 dollars, I could flush the cooling system, very thoroughly, and refill with new antifreeze, four times.  Based on a two year change interval, I could do that four times, and be good for eight years.

How much longer can I run antifreeze with a coolant filter?   How long would it take for the coolant filter to pay for itself?  Is there a benefit to running a coolant filter, probably for the engine, but probably not an economic one.

The economic scenario  changes with an over the road long haul semi truck, with the amount of coolant those engines run.  On those engines it makes sense to run a coolant filter, and use additives that extend the usable life of the coolant.  But not on a Datsun. 

Remember, parts left off cost nothing, and create no service problems.

• Like 2

The last time I bought antifreeze, it was about $11.00 A gallon, for the Prestone green stuff.  Not an off brand, that was at Walmart,   About ten aisles over, (this was one of the small "local" Walmarts), was distilled water, 88 cents a gallon.  That makes two gallons of fresh 50/50 coolant, for about $12.00.   A 521/L-16 takes a little less than two gallons of coolant.

Lets say, you can get and install a coolant filter, for $50.00 dollars.  For the same $50.00 dollars, I could flush the cooling system, very thoroughly, and refill with new antifreeze, four times.  Based on a two year change interval, I could do that four times, and be good for eight years.

How much longer can I run antifreeze with a coolant filter?   How long would it take for the coolant filter to pay for itself?  Is there a benefit to running a coolant filter, probably for the engine, but probably not an economic one.

The economic scenario  changes with an over the road long haul semi truck, with the amount of coolant those engines run.  On those engines it makes sense to run a coolant filter, and use additives that extend the usable life of the coolant.  But not on a Datsun. 

Remember, parts left off cost nothing, and create no service problems.

Now why and I ask why did you have to come and ruin the fun for us....

• Like 1

Grady buddy, I admire your stick-to-it-ive-ness!  You sir, are the reason salesmen exist!   :)  And I'm certain my NAPA store could supply you with all the variety of filter systems you so desire!   :D

And perhaps some Lucas Fuel Treatment, on sale for $3.99

And some key chains.

And some caribeaners.

And some wax.

And many, many other things!

• Like 2

Well I'm sure the coolant filter can't hurt. ;)

Thanks man, that means a lot.

Everybody looks at me and thinks I'm all steel and armor...

Never realizing, I HAVE FEELINGS TOO...

I may look like it, but I'm not Terminator.

Little comments like yours make a difference friend, I wanted you to know that.

And again, from the bottom of my heart,

Thank You

I was actually starting to think coolant filters were stupid as hell also.

Grady buddy, I admire your stick-to-it-ive-ness!  You sir, are the reason salesmen exist!   :)  And I'm certain my NAPA store could supply you with all the variety of filter systems you so desire!   :D

And perhaps some Lucas Fuel Treatment, on sale for $3.99

And some key chains.

And some caribeaners.

And some wax.

And many, many other things!

Hopefully your store isn't one of those ones that looks like their main product line is air fresheners. I think it has to do with what part of town you are in

What the hell was that?

You produce that lame shit or something?

We're not "talking"...

Hardly.

No faxing, emailing, or even as close as something personal as texting.

Let alone, "talking."

Like I would.