Coolant filters

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going back and forth outside.

I just drained the last engine block plug and am about to do the thermostat next on the 6.9 International Harvester.

I'm racing the sun and some dark clouds right now.

Hank's on the tunes though and the beer's cold.

I have a goal of getting cut open pics of this filter tonight!

• Like 1

Again, it's a hundred bucks and a couple of hours. If it's not floating your boat, no one cares, quit trying to sink his. More effort has been put in to arguing in this thread than it takes to install the damn thing

• Like 2

I think there are reasons for coolant filters in over the road diesel trucks.  Other than that, meh.  I just passed 200,000 miles on the '93 hardbody yesterday.  5 different motors, not one water pump or heater core gone bad.  However, I'm sure eventually I'm going to have to do the heater core in the D21.  Just a matter of time.  But, I figure for 23 years worth of running, that's a hundred bucks I could put into gas.  Or a turbo.  Or something that makes a bit more sense.  Like stickers.

• Like 2

Broke a bolt in the head, so add a day.

It's always the bolts under thermostats.

Anyways. Finally cut that filter open the other day.

I didn't even get to 200 miles on it but I just bought this truck and it needed an entire flush and change so I did it all this time (I had everything already one boring day a while ago before having all the stuff needed for a full coolant service, and threw it on in about an hour to be done with it.) Filters are cheep so it was no big deal to just replace it when I did everything the other day.

I say all that because with the first filter, 500 miles is a good time to change it. Get all the initial casting sand. Then after that maybe a thousand before going to every other oil change or so. Cutting them open and looking inside gives you the best idea of a replacement schedule for your individual vehicle.

So here's one with less then 200 miles opened up. Also, when I had it completely open I fumbled the bastard and it landed on the deck upside down allowing some stuff inside to spill out. I was disappointed to not see everything, doh! So know there was more in there before my drop.

image_zps8eiixeqm.jpg

image_zpsbzjlz82d.jpg

image_zpsvz41lq6c.jpg

• Like 1

I went to 500 miles before the first change on my other F250 gasser and I remember it having more casting sand in it then this. I'm now on the 4th filter in that one and each still had casting sand.

Another little know fact is that casting sand can actually "seep" out of blocks over time.

Regardless, this sand won't be circulating through my system anymore :D

• Like 1