New to the site and the 620

2one8

Might as well introduce myself. Names Wes, just took home a '76 620 longbox, 800 original miles. It was originally donated by Datsun to a local race track as a grounds vehicle, they used it for a few years, then it sat in one of their sheds for the next 30 years or so. Needs some work, it got a little banged up at the race track but nothing bad at all, inteterior needs work, and the motor needs rebuilding as its lost all compression. I'm looking to SR20 black top swap, fender mirrors, chin spoiler, lower on wide wheels, do something with the paint, and install a pitbull motorcycle restraint system in the bed. I've been looking at airbag suspension, but trucks and bags are new to me so not quite sure what I'd be getting into yet. Someday I hope to load the bike up and road trip across the country hitting some of the hotspot twisties I hear about people riding all the time, and use the truck for shows and as a bike trackday hauler.

So trucks are new to me, cars are not. My first car was a '79 280ZX, and I now have a '03 G35 turbo ~400rwhp, currently rebuilding with goals of ~600rwhp.

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/Fini_G/media/20151129_181302_zpsyvwlyz1e.jpg.html

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/Fini_G/media/11080696_10153302201554172_6584761304291977932_o_zpsdn5xnbgu.jpg.html

• Like 2
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20151129_181302_zpsyvwlyz1e.jpg

11080696_10153302201554172_6584761304291

Hi Wes and welcome to Ratsun.

800 miles and no compression is unlikely. The speedometers only go to 99,999 and then start again, maybe it has 100,800? Try some research on SR swaps using the search function top right of every page. Helps if you have lots of money, time, garage space, welding and metal fabricating equipment and money.

• Like 1

Nice score.  You beat me to it by a few days.  We're locked in to pick up the '80 with 1200 miles on it.  

The motor likely has pretty well rusted cylinder walls and valves.  I wouldn't try to run it under any circumstance.   It may clean up with a hone, valve job, and new bearings.  If you want to sell,  PM me! 

Mike, this truck is the real deal.  It was a maintenance truck at Brainerd International Raceway.  Donated by a famous Datsun stunt driver from the 70's (can't recall his name but he autographed some junk in the glove box of the truck we purchased.)  My guess is those trucks were subject to some of the stunt driving, hence their low mileage life and some serious driveline issues.  

• Like 3

800 miles and no compression is unlikely.

My very first thought. Maybe on one cylinder due to a failure? But not across the board.

If so, I want to know how when you take it apart and diagnose.

Regardless, it looks Awesome! The more I look at that paint job the more I like it. It all looks kool and age appropriate.

Maybe pick the blue or red and go solid someday I guess. Prolly blue if me, so I would not have to re-spray the door jams and under the hood.

Welcome! What branch did you serve brother?

Hi Wes and welcome to Ratsun.

800 miles and no compression is unlikely. The speedometers only go to 99,999 and then start again, maybe it has 100,800? Try some research on SR swaps using the search function top right of every page. Helps if you have lots of money, time, garage space, welding and metal fabricating equipment and money.

unlikely. Its not licensed for the street, so they would have needed to drive a lot on the grounds to get over 100k. Current track owner stated there were a handful of these that have been sitting in the sheds as long as he can remember. No VIN or title so I have to go through the home built and bonding process. My understanding is they have one from each year throughout the 70's.

Nice score.  You beat me to it by a few days.  We're locked in to pick up the '80 with 1200 miles on it.  

The motor likely has pretty well rusted cylinder walls and valves.  I wouldn't try to run it under any circumstance.   It may clean up with a hone, valve job, and new bearings.  If you want to sell,  PM me! 

Mike, this truck is the real deal.  It was a maintenance truck at Brainerd International Raceway.  Donated by a famous Datsun stunt driver from the 70's (can't recall his name but he autographed some junk in the glove box of the truck we purchased.)  My guess is those trucks were subject to some of the stunt driving, hence their low mileage life and some serious driveline issues.  

My understanding is this particular truck was used as a pace truck and grounds truck. It has a light bar frame and wiring in the back, and CB radio in the front. I tried picking this up a couple years back from my buddy that originally purchased it from the track, but he wasn't willing to sell. The only time it has sat outside is the couple years after he bought it and did nothing with it. I haven't tried running it, my buddy said it would run but has no power and tested little to no compression. I'll pull it apart and see what it needs, but would rather swap an SR.

My very first thought. Maybe on one cylinder due to a failure? But not across the board.

If so, I want to know how when you take it apart and diagnose.

Regardless, it looks Awesome! The more I look at that paint job the more I like it. It all looks kool and age appropriate.

Maybe pick the blue or red and go solid someday I guess. Prolly blue if me, so I would not have to re-spray the door jams and under the hood.

Welcome! What branch did you serve brother?

Army National Guard

• 2 weeks later...

It appears all the other 620 trucks at BIR have been crushed.  I picked this one up yesterday for the drivetrain, as the low mileage L20b will be used as our secondary Bonneville engine.  It was probably the most abused truck they ever had, 16,900 miles on it and it was never titled or licensed.  Used to plow the area, and had a sand spreader on the back.  Blown diff parked it permanently, other than moving it around in front wheel drive.  

720_zpsdbebfh5g.jpg

• Like 1

The area was crushed with high winds last summer, but the windows were broken out by vandals.  Its been parked outside for the better part of 36 years in MN.  I want the L20B with low miles.  The rest of it is either going to be parted or scrapped, unless I make a farm trailer from the frame/box and keep a lot fo the suspension parts for the race truck?  I may keep the rotating yellow plow light...