Reamed on rings: blew my gasket!

datzenmike

Well, 720s were Datsun right?

Priced some rings for my Z24, get this.... $179.00 (choke) What in the ..... Can this be right???????? I said they come on pistons, right? Apparently for 45 friggin' dollars I get three rings for one piston. Fuck, I've put rings, rods, mains and gaskets in an L20B for a hundred bucks, in the day. Christ on crutches!!

And this after $155 for a gasket set got me steamed last week.

Please, somebody, laugh at me and then send me to the right place.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK... reality check for mike. Thanks Jason, there was a good running Z24 came in to the wreckers here. They wanted $300 for it (crunched front end) I laughed. Well, another $100 for the mains and another $70 for the rods... over $500 total, just have to keep saying it untill ....

A KA also came in but would cost as much plus they've been done before. Have my heart set on building a Z24E. The KA pistons would give 9.2 c/r

OK... reality check for mike. Thanks Jason, there was a good running Z24 came in to the wreckers here. They wanted $300 for it (crunched front end) I laughed. Well, another $100 for the mains and another $70 for the rods... over $500 total, just have to keep saying it untill ....

A KA also came in but would cost as much plus they've been done before. Have my heart set on building a Z24E. The KA pistons would give 9.2 c/r

It's kinda of disheartening Mike, but, prices have been increasing pretty much across the board the last few years. The days of dirt cheap NOS parts seems to be pretty much over. I was pricing out the bits for an engine rebuild too, looks to be costing me about $300 for rings, gaskets and stuff, and perhaps another $200 for the new cam and bits needed there. This is with no machine work yet either. Oh well, have to wait a bit on it I think, winter project coming I think!

Rings looked up at NAPA, definitely looking else ware.

The KA and Z24 have basically the same B&S. The Z24 has a 15cc piston dish and the KA has a 2.8cc So the Z head on a KA block and pistons is still 9.5 to one. Unless I'm not understanding you.

DE pistons have a dish to them where as E pistons are mostly flat top. Nissan frontier pistons have an even greater dish supposedly how they got the lower compression but i have never confirmed this. peace.

DE pistons aren't a drop in, to the Z24. The piston pin hole has to be enlarged in the KA24DE piston, to take the Z24 piston pin or have a bushing put in. If a floating pin, a small oil hole will have to be drilled in the piston. However the DE rod journal is the same as the Z24, so if the DE pistons AND rods were used they may fit in the Z24.

The E and the DE rod journals are different size, the crank mains are the same but don't match the Z24.

A KA also came in but would cost as much plus they've been done before. c/r

HEY :mad::mad: :D

Rings looked up at NAPA, definitely looking else ware.

The KA and Z24 have basically the same B&S. The Z24 has a 15cc piston dish and the KA has a 2.8cc So the Z head on a KA block and pistons is still 9.5 to one. Unless I'm not understanding you.

DE pistons have a dish to them where as E pistons are mostly flat top. Nissan frontier pistons have an even greater dish supposedly how they got the lower compression but i have never confirmed this. peace.

DE pistons aren't a drop in, to the Z24. The piston pin hole has to be enlarged in the KA24DE piston, to take the Z24 piston pin or have a bushing put in. If a floating pin, a small oil hole will have to be drilled in the piston. However the DE rod journal is the same as the Z24, so if the DE pistons AND rods were used they may fit in the Z24.

The E and the DE rod journals are different size, the crank mains are the same but don't match the Z24.

So you guys keep jumping back and forth on the DE, E, and Z blocks.... So I personally want to run the DE block because it has the oil squirters. Does the Z have squirters? It would be easier to run because it has a rear sump.... But then I would need to find out the compression ratio with the KA24E head on it. Some oil squirters matched with a good set of forged pistons would make for a great bottom end. I'm not in to big a hurry to get a motor built but mine leaks oil like a SOB so I would like to get the wheels turning at least :D

Frank had some forged flat tops in his KA-E block My question (a little of topic....) If you had KA24DE bottom end would the compression be super low? I know that if you put single cam pistons in a dual cam block its like 11 to 1 or something crazy..... I suck at the engine build side of datto projects.

Going to stick with the Z24 with EFI. Keep it a solid build with tweaks here and there. Hoping to prove that the Z24 has been overlooked and has potential, well some potential at least. If it's a failure, well it will still be a strong torquer and just what I want in my truck. Plus it's been fun learning about them, not too much info out there about them.

Hey, later I can put a KA head on it and be called a KAZmanian Devil. Ar ar ar

My 340 had a small groove cut in the face of the rod cap from the bearing past the bolt and out on the cam side of the V8. This would throw oil on the cylinder wall. Is this what these squirter do? Or is it to keep the underside of the piston cool?

Well from my understanding (we will leave it at.. most the time I'm correct :D ) It keeps the piston cool under boost. Basically its one of the ka24de's guys points when they say the ka24de was meant to be turboed... All the other dual cam turbo engines have them. I figured if I was going to do a ground up build I should use all the best components. I would like to keep my truck single cam though. I need to do some research and see what I will need to keep my ka relatively low compression and use "cheap" forged pistons. I wouldn't mind having it 9 to 1 compression with a small amount of boost. For a little added top end power :D

These oil squirters, are they just small holes drilled into the upper shoulder of the rod and down to the bearing oil supply? If so you could do that to a single cam motor yourself. The DE rods won't fit the E, but the DE crank AND rod/pistons might fit the E block (I think), the mains are the same size.

These oil squirters, are they just small holes drilled into the upper shoulder of the rod and down to the bearing oil supply? If so you could do that to a single cam motor yourself. The DE rods won't fit the E, but the DE crank AND rod/pistons might fit the E block (I think), the mains are the same size.

They screw into the block, they kinda look like the water squirters for your windshield. To remove the pistons you have to remove the oil squirters. They only came in the DE though.... So will the E piston rods and crank fit he DE block?

Was to the local Datto Dealer:

Z24

rings..........................$170

main bearing set......... $110

rod bearing $8? each)....$70 before tax!!!

All this on top of the $165 for a gasket set!!

Just for fun a Z24 crank from Japan... $936

A local Yard has a good running Z24 so going up t-morrow and see.

Well Mike, I just went to Canadian Tire and picked up the "Maxuum" 46 piece tap and die set $68 with tax.... I need to work on my exhaust manifold tomorrow so I need it though.... Sigh, needful things....