Reamed on rings: blew my gasket!

datzenmike

I'll say. Call it ... baggage.:D

Well got the brakes working much better. I thought it might have been rusty rotors from sitting for a year or the four pot calipers seized. All I had was a rock hard pedal and hardly any stopping. Lot of effort required. Hmmm. The test for power brakes is to work the brakes to bleed away any trapped vacuum, press down on the brakes and start the engine. The engine vacuum will cause the brake pedal to drop down slightly... well it didn't. While the motor was out and being swapped, the big black vacuum hose from the intake to the booster was off. There is a one way valve in line to the booster and maybe some critter bug climbed in there for the winter and clogged it, either way valve no workie. Had a spare, now there's vacuum to the booster and brakes are back! woot!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've been running the motor without a down pipe gasket, guess it's not like the L20B. Have the gasket now but the studs are the shit. Pulled one from a D-21 with Z24i and it has the oxygen sensor so I can plug it into the EFI harness.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/exhaustmanz24andz24iLarge.jpg[/img]"]exhaustmanz24andz24iLarge.jpg

The tube you see is a pipe for sucking in air using exhaust negative back pressure pulses. The EGR tube is behind it at the top between the two far right hand mounting bolts. I loosened both so I can remove later If I want. I cut both tubes off and bent them over. I left the heat shield for warm air for the carb. The KA EFI uses EGR probably to tame engine knock? so I have a good EGR tube saved for that. For now it's plugged.

Notice how there is a different angle on the down pipe flange? I was afraid it would aim the pipe over closer to the tranny but it does bolt up fine. Very nice, and quiet now.

Still has a fast idle that can only be lowered by retarding the distributor. Need a timing light, with the L I just adjust by ear and add/subtract to just under ping. Carb idle screw is full out, it's not on the fast idle cam, secondary is closed, carb bolts tight, pinched all vacuum lines closed one at a time... no effect, BCDD tested and disconnected, EGR disconnected pipe plugged. I don't know what it is.

Well, I drove my Z24 truck to work for the last two days.... first time in over a year. No air filter or electric fan hooked up, no biggie, lots of air just driving. I also noticed that the temp runs slightly lower on the gauge than the L20b did. Take offs are smooth with the added torque, the old L strained to get off center and rolling a 3,400 lb truck. Part of the problem was the 33s and 4:11 gears. Should really get the spare 4.375s in but that would only get it back to stock gearing. What about 4.625s???? to compensate for the increased tire size.

Things to do... pull carb and find out why it idles at 2,500. Throttle plate is adjusted all the way closed, choke not on, cable not too tight. Maybe buggered gasket? If and when fixed, get air filter on, quieter.

Relay for electric fan. So I can idle as long as I want.

Yeah she put on the weight and every hill out on the highway it a down shift. Mileage is ok but can barely keep up and everything passes me. There's nothing in reserve. The Z24 gives a little bit more when I honk on it at speed, but even the 720 guys with stock tires complain about Nissan going to 4:11s on the 4X4 and 3.70 on the 2wd.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Time for an up date:

Instead of using the 200sx throttle body, I'll be using the one from a KA motor. Why not, KA and Z24 are the same size and I've heard it has a similar fuel map, perhaps running just a touch lean at speed. The KA throttle body has a 6.34mm larger diameter, enough to be easily seen side by side:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720ECU006Large.jpg[/img]"]720ECU006Large.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720ECU007Large.jpg[/img]"]720ECU007Large.jpg

Good old Nissan. They kept the same bolt pattern so just a matter of bolting the KA onto the Z20 plenum. But first a 1/8" trim to increase the diameter so there is no lip to obstruct flow. I scribed a line in the soft aluminum.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720ECU009Large.jpg[/img]"]720ECU009Large.jpg

Seeing as how Mklotz doesn't live near me I used my Armstrong horizontal milling machine and Popeye laser level to get similar if not exact results.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720ECU012Large.jpg[/img]"]720ECU012Large.jpg

I used a series of very rough wood rasps to show the high spots and 'milled' them down with the drill and carbide cutter. When done the sides are blended into the interior walls and smoothed with rough sandpaper.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720ECU014Large.jpg[/img]"]720ECU014Large.jpg

Fits like a hot damn! Z24E here we come.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720ECU018Large.jpg[/img]"]720ECU018Large.jpg

Edited by datzenmike

Meh ... hard to get moto-vated at this time of year. (outside) Couple of summers ago I ported a crap L head just to see what would happen. I spent like 18 hrs on it easily. So then, knowing I wanted to maybe put a Z24 in my truck I ported a Z22 head because the Z20E EFI manifold fits it perfectly. Then I ported a Z24 head because I like the bigger ports and figured the manifold will bolt up fine. Found someone who has done it but skipped the old batch fire system for the 'newer' KA24E ECCS set up. He's going to walk me through it. One of the things is getting a KA throttle body to fit the Z20 intake. So that part is done.

So with all this porting experience, :lol: I had no problem doing this.

Edited by datzenmike
  • 1 month later...

Truck needs another water pump with fan cut off, no biggie, I just have to cut the lawn to find 3 or 4 of them.:D One odd thing I haven't been able to get the idle down below 2K since I fired it up last fall. Choke off, fast idle cam off, throttle screw out and throttle closed, timing ok, no vacuum leaks. So I just left it, figuring I would try fixing later.... well today I filled it up with water to start up and charge the battery. On a hunch I pulled up on the vacuum advance linkage and engine revved up. Gave it a few and you could see fuel spray in from the enrich nozzle. When I let go it returned to low idle!!! The secondary must have been stuck with a hairline opening. All good now.