And so it begins .... Engine funkery

ryanthomas1

Okay , I'm debating on wether or not to do the small block Americana swap on my 720, and going american trans and whatever rear works, (the stock one takes hell). I'm thinking ford 302, cause front dizzy, and less general bs, so any advice on how to make it fit?? Also, I will be removing my z22, If I don't do the small block swap, I'm

Gonna clean it up and the engine bay, But my concern is this, when using my hoist where can I can i attach bolts / chains to on the z22 ? Any problem areas? Also, any hardware I should replace while I'm down there ?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm debating on wether or not to do the small block Americana swap on my 720

Nonononononononononononono. Stop right there. Prepare to be flamed hard.

Most people that want a certain engine rip the entire vehicle apart, then life gets in the way, and ends up selling or scrapping the entire thing because they can't be bothered with it. Don't bastardize an import because you want the power of an engine that shouldn't be in there...

Any problem areas?

Yes. A V8 doesn't belong in a Datsun.

• Like 1

If you can't figure out where to put the bolts to remove a the z22, what makes you think you should be stuffimg a 302 in it?

Ever wonder whyvold Ford hot rods have SBCs in them?

When those guys are on road trips and their cars break, they can find anything they need in any parts house.

Support for the Ford is nowhere near the Chevy.

If you're going to bastardize an import, a 720 is the way to go. No one really gives a fuck about them. Think early Fox body mustang for a donar, there's plenty out there with rear end damage for cheap and there's good support for them.

If you're going to bastardize an import, a 720 is the way to go. No one really gives a fuck about them. Think early Fox body mustang for a donar, there's plenty out there with rear end damage for cheap and there's good support for them.

Will need a custom oil pan. Mustang 5.0s have a dual sump pan which will hit both steering and crossmember. 

There's a kit to put either a SBC, or its smaller brother the Chevy 4.3, into a 720. The bay and trans tunnel are already big enough, just need to get mounts and obviously a custom driveshaft.

I personally wouldn't do it, but there's plenty of guys that have and will continue to. Look up the Guam Style Minitrucks, there's a white one with a mustang 5.0 and I think another one has an LS.

Just don't do what shacks said and tear it down just to let it sit eventually.

And I'm sorry dolomite, but if you bastardize an import, why not stay away from all Nissan's. There's plenty of people out there that love 720's, I'm on my 3rd one. Regret selling my diesel though, that 45mpg was great...

I was refering to bolt locations I can attach chains to so I can remove the z22, just asking for common problems, and I've got the ability, time , and tools to do this, don't you guys worry, not my first rodeo, The 383 s10 of my friends does, lol that crazy bastard

What I don't understand is why not just buy an 1st gen S10 and swap a V8 into it? Or better yet, just buy an S10 with the V8 swap already done. Easy way to get a "fast" mini-truck, and that way you leave the imports to people who actually appreciate them for what they are.

~Peter

• Like 1

Your z22 should have two loops, one on the front of the head, and one right above the further back intake port. I've never pulled a z motor but I assume that's what you'd use. Here's my z24, the loop on the front is barely in the picture.

IMG_20150626_184411860_HDR_zpseyv80c7y.j

Hey Ryan, only way to shut these guys up is to pull this off, so don't bail on us. We see lots of false starts around here, so tend to think the worst.

As for pulling the z series, if you don't have the hoops, wrap a strap around part of the intake manifold and bolt a chain to the exhaust side. That works fine.