My new datsun (long restoration project... Very long)

Jstockton2013

So I have acquired my first Datsun a 1979 Datsun 620 in less than par conditions. Well i dont have it yet I pick it up in a few days. The truck was given to me after a family member passed, we argued about the vehicle when it was first acquired and finally i get the oppurtunity to play with it. Thanks for the add to the community and I hope I can learn a lot from you guys. Heres a few pictures of the old thing. 11655420_985533151486529_448042119_n_zps20150707_1005021_zpsd4jmr15r.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys and not to sure on all the specs I pick it up Saturday I'll give it a bath and post more then. It was last on the road in the mid 2000's but its been driven on a farm from house to barn since then has not been touched in 2 years because family member got sick.

• Like 2

I have been tinkering with her today, Learned alot fixed a little. Fixed the brakes, checked all the glass, windshield is good but the seal needs replaced. Have to rebuild the carb  gonna give the whole engine a tuneup. Found some cancer on the passengers rocker panel gonna cut and replace. Over all not the prettiest thing but I think it will be a great project. so heres some more pics 

20150712_132300_zpsz8eqabur.jpg

[/url]

20150712_130833_zpslb0mnq1d.jpg

20150712_130824_zpsqhuomvbw.jpg

20150712_130551_zps5yebmc8x.jpg

20150712_130617_HDR_zpsc59vlm8n.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome looks close to what I started with if I can offer one tip if it has been setting but will run start with cleaning gas tank very good nothing worse than going thru carb and tuning up engine and suck more trash in it good luck and nice ride ill be looking for updates

• Like 3

Some more work done on the truck, had my little brother go to town sanding and spraying a base coat of protection primer. Running into some issues trying to figure out what to replace the floor board with I have been told everything from 1/16 steel stock, to parts from junkyard cars it definitely need alot of floor replace, any one got any suggestions.

20150715_152811_zpsurhsldvi.jpg

20150715_152803_zpsexhsuinp.jpg

20150715_152817_zpslidqjhh0.jpg

20150715_152038_HDR_zpsdvbvbkxw.jpg 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the hood is thinner, the hole in my floor makes the metal look .1-.25 thick, the hood is at most .1, but I'm pretty sure it's only like .05-.07 thick. I haven't measured or anything, just what it looks like to my. How bad off is this hood? Pictures?

• Like 1

Beyond motivation...When I bought the truck, I noticed the hood being all wavy and there was a long scrip running side way. Later when I opened the hood, I saw the failed attempt at fixing what must have been a hood folded in half...

• Like 1

Oh well damn. Umm... I'd just say go with sheet metal or check the thickness of the skins before hand to see if they're the same gauge. I really don't think they will be because one is meant to bear loads while the other blocks wind and looks pretty yaknow?

• Like 1

I did with 22 gauge and did a terrible job. I will take my time to shape the new patches and add the curves like the stock floor pans. My concern is that the 22 gauge made the floor flimsy and bouncy

• Like 1