305 vs 4.3

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never recommend a 4.3 TBI to anyone, but if it's a Vortec, I would use that one istead of the 305.

How do you know it needs a rebuild? If it runs, do the swap with it running and then tear into it once you've got all the bugs worked out. When I do an engine swap, the motor comes in and out about 10 times before it's final anyway.

As mentioned above the 4.3 is shorter always a bonus when your talkin datsun and swap in the same sentence . The 305 is a boat anchor at best , If you were thinking about v8 I would use something else . 

The challenge will be the same either way , the firewall is going to need work and so will the frame near the tranny mount,exhaust,driveline . All of these things are basically going to be the same . 

Well u guys r saying the 4.3 is also a piece of shit so what would be a good v6 motor for my build

4.3 vortech is a good engine .i have never rebuilt one so i dont know what the cost will be . but i have had many of these engines over the years and 90% of them were very reliable and cheap to maintain . 

Do you have any emissions testing in NC? If not, the sky's the limit as for engine swaps. How about a GM 3800SC? It's a 3.8L supercharged V6. Nissan VG would be an easy swap, but I don't particularly like those. Not much HP for the trouble.

It's going to cost $1000 minimum to build that 4.3. What trans would you run behind it?