79 KC 620 for my dad

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to clean up a bit last night since I'm waiting on the most expensive bolts I've ever ordered to show up....

Just for reference these were $10 a piece

F283D78E-B1F9-46BD-9C96-DE989F1C089F_zps

And the target of the cleaning rag ended up being the interior since it is done in regards to this round or fixes and upgrades

Enjoy

797FD563-0B89-4D14-9A98-5C33A0FC350E_zps

5C49F0FC-E51E-4BC8-A287-DA300F4B6225_zps

F647C411-DB9C-42FD-8588-0C1AF8FBB9FC_zps

• Like 1

More stuffs

D32131CA-352C-444A-9C38-E55C32622D20_zps

314DE9BA-7DEF-454F-AD38-04C7AE8AEF4C_zps

Diddnt even know the center console had the grey sliding lid with a lock on it so finding it was a bonus

One of my fav pics from last night

BBD28A6C-5536-4577-BB8F-F708B7EB56B4_zps

E8BD2CCB-D2F4-4A69-8424-F0BDAAF63847_zps

0DAEDEE7-AFC5-45C7-AAA5-6456C1943DA8_zps

89171B52-1CB9-4FEA-ACA7-828B0CE04D7D_zps

AE73448A-A53F-4152-98AC-13ACA72A63D6_zps

And this is where the night ended for me :/

DBF92E3E-413E-4915-88F4-414768729BAB_zps

• Like 2

Well looks like the right replacements that I was a after ;)

493F4ADC-0E44-4EB2-AA28-DA5C81AC7146_zps

Should have em in my hands in a couple hours :D

Also picked up new driveline bolts cus they were cheep enough

2E233579-DD48-4A96-813F-A4BB612CEB07_zps

Who knows, this truck just might fire up today!!

• Like 3

Optima batteries are not supposed to discharge on concrete? Is this a agm trait?

The discharging to the floor thing is a holdover from metal case batteries. Plastic cases isolate the battery from ground. That's not to say that they won't lose charge over time as all batteries do this no matter what the design is. 

If that optima has been drained to deadness it probably won't come back nearly as good as it used to be.

If they drop below 10 volts they need special care. Optimas require a 'smart' charger, with the right charger they can be resuscitated according to their literature, of course those chargers are $$$. A buddy has had some luck using a fully charged battery between a regular charger and the optima.  As long as you don't kill a cell it should come back just fine. We have on that only has 5 cells that hold a charge and it will still start his wheeler. Of course that's one of their older batteries. The new ones lose a cell and are done, really sucks when your paying $200 for a battery. I've started buying them on ebay to get a deal, still would rather run a shitty agm over a decent wet battery that will leak all over my engine bay. 

• Like 2

This whole one step forward and two back is getting old quick....

So I got my bolts from Nissan and went strait to put em in the torque converter!!!

About that......

Couldn't seem to rotate the flex plate :/

Not by hand, not by the crank bolt, nothing....

Frozen solid, WTF!

The motor was running fine and there's been no changes to the rotating assembly In the block or head. The jtrans was pulled from a 710 wagon for a manual swap by a friend that I trust......

I could not have found a better used trans.,,,,,

Why the fuck,,,,, ahhhhhhhhhbhbhb

I tell people all the time "it's a datsun, it can't be that hard" but lemme tell ya I've either complicated the fuck outta this without realizing it(hard to believe since this is prob my 7th or 8th time installing an Lseries auto tranny -.- )

Or I'm missing something

I've convinced myself somewhere along the way I had to have had a brain fart & that brain fart is still rumbling on

So I called in some reinforcement

They should be en route now :)

• Like 2

Are you sure the thin metal plate is for an automatic?  The 4 and 5 speed plates are different and the automatic starter is clocked different than the 4 and 5 speed starers.

Do you have the spacer between the crank and the flex plate?  There is also a spacer between the bolts and the flex plate that hold the flex plate to the crank.

DSC01812.jpg

The crank bolts for the Flex plate are also a little shorter than the fly wheel crank bolts.

• Like 2

Are you sure the thin metal plate is for an automatic?  The 4 and 5 speed plates are different and the automatic starter is clocked different than the 4 and 5 speed starers.

Do you have the spacer between the crank and the flex plate?  There is also a spacer between the bolts and the flex plate that hold the flex plate to the crank.

DSC01812.jpg

The crank bolts for the Flex plate are also a little shorter than the fly wheel crank bolts.

The short answer is yes, at the time of instal I had everything I neeeded and nothing

I diddnt so to say. It's been quite the epic saga thus far ;)

• Like 2

Are the spacers for the flrex plate in the right order? That's the only thing I can think of cause the interference issue with the flex plate and dust cover/spacer.

I had the same thought at first....

But they are there

4C13BD02-B800-428F-9720-BD0243EE9C41_zps

• Like 1

And it was really late so my memory is a bit hazy.....

Or maybe the garage was just hazy.....

Either way Ed said that the torque converter must not have got back "all 3 clicks" and when the trans was bolted to motor the converter pressed the flex plate into the dust shield causing everything to bind up while simultaneously pushing the pumps drive shaft into the pump screwing it in the process :/

So it sounds like I goofed during the install?

Thoughts?

• Like 2