L20b questions

Andres131313

The mount stud that we were prying on to get the engine in. Hey mike do you have a book with part numbers or a website? What is the part number for the bridge washers for the manifolds

The bottom row cone washers that bridge the intake and exhaust are 14037-N3600 (qty. 4) but they are not on studs, they're bolts. The only studs on the L20B are the ones at each end of the exhaust manifold (front and back) and any flat washer will do.

So my thermostat base cracked. will the other housings work?

All 4 and 6 cylinder L series thermostat housings will interchange, but in many cases why would you want to? Some don't have the T V V for the EGR, all have the temp gauge sender but others have two or three other senders mounted as well. Some might not have a by pass outlet. There are even three bolt tops on the '79-'80 Ls. Get a close match if you can.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh I can probably tig it. Flatcat tig stands for tungsten inert gas. It's a type of welding. Lol. Anyways. Not having the bypass shouldn't hurt anything because a hose also runs from the heater hose. Right? I can drill and tap the TVV in somewhere on the housing. It is a small very small hair crack I think it's from the bypas being put in too much. It fallows the casting lines

I think I got it good enough to be temporary.

I'm so mad right now. You know that water line that runs around the front that comes off the heater hose then goes to the intake manifold and bypass? That line is the bane of my existence. I'm going to cut the part that goes to the intake and replace it with rubber. Instead of having the line kink and having to pull the intake off again.

Anyways. I got a 240z thermostat base coming.

Also I fucked up today. I swear that I put the engine ground on. Went to turn it over to get oil in the system. Turn for a few seconds then I saw smoke. Coming out of the throttle cable...now it sounds like a saw...

Get braided hose for the bypass. You will still need a Y for the hoses to connect the thermostat by pass and the intake.

That throttle cable will be fucked. I had my battery on my 521 fall over and touch the body.There was no ground strap from negative to the body so the body became positive. Because of rubber engine, trans and suspension mounting the only way for all that current to flow to the ground on the block was through the throttle cable. Red hot, melted the plastic sheath. When it cooled the throttle was permanently welded.

(is that Keith I hear?)

Ive had my 521 find ground through the throttle cable while driving one night. throttle got stuck because the plastic melted around the cable as mike explained, luckly I had some extra wire in the bed I hooked it up to the linkage and controlled the throttle with my hand until I got to the nearest gas station....

Man, I hate to say it, but it doesn't seem like things are going your way. I hope you enjoy wrenching on this thing because it seems like the hole keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Ya i love it. last time nothing went wrong.

Or don't status up date your fuck ups....

...with Keith around.

I dont give a fuck what that hick says to me

the cable isnt welded just rubbing on the fire wall. it moves fine

Mine welded. It was late, I'd been drinking. I set the fast idle cam and drove it home at up to 30 MPH. Po po stopped me driving on side of road with flashers on. (no traffic at 3AM) He offered to follow me safely home. I thanked him and declined.

• Like 1

Neither of which should be pried upon.

Refer back to Tenril's most recent post.

Shit. You're not supposed to pry on that inspection plate 1/4" stud? That's what I use to tow.

Use a heavy gauge washer on that manifold. Something thin would disappear quick.

There may be a stud in the middle top row that also holds the exhaust. When lifting, I loop a chain around the exhaust manifold pipe at the back and the fuel pump at the front if the lifting fitting is missing. If Omar dropped it well anything can break off.

• Like 1