tubodiesel P51 mustang 510

ok so this is my first post and i don't even own a 510. the other day the idea popped into my head. ive always wanted a 510. and thought it would be a cool idea to make a p51 mustang themed 510. but i also want to put a cummins B4 tubro diesel in it. but i don't know if its even possible. is there even anyone that's done it? also what would be a good price to get a 510 and what to look for as in terms of rust, wear, ect.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fifty five HP and weight between 700 and 800 pounds and then a transmission.... I'm going to say probably not. Nissan makes a small SD22 or SD25 diesel but I don't know the weight, wayno might. The stock 510 engine is 250 pounds, so 3X the weight isn't good. If you are looking at the Cummins this means you are either familiar with them or have one laying around.

Save up for the most complete 510 you can afford and enjoy driving it around and forget the diesel.

• Like 1

On cars, most people like HP, torque is more of a truck thing, you need torque to get heavy loads moving.

I like being different, and I am certainly different, but the diesel engines you are talking about are for full size heavy duty trucks like what them engines come in, they just are not made for a 510.

I have a few diesel trucks(521 and 720), but I did most my first 521KC diesel build before I told anyone, I have found it better to just do it and then let the chips fall where they will fall, once I was that far into the build, most on here didn't have much except positive things to say, but I was posting a lot of photos, so that makes everything alright, photos fix everything. :lol:

This is my Datsun 521KC diesel truck,

DSCN0077.JPG

and this is the SD25 diesel engine in it, it's a tight fit.

DSCN3266.JPG

See, photos make everything better. :lol:

• Like 2

VW TDI mated to a Toyota 22R 5 speed (acme adapters). These motors are great for building power. Relatively new. Just look up how to delete the EGR physically (and telling the computer its gone), and wire it up. The engines stock application, they can easily achieve greater than 40mpg, while still passing somebody never dropping from 5th gear. Its already a car motor too.

Diesel engines for cars makes a lot of sense, just not the old ones which make no power compared to the modern day direct injection and common rail diesels.

• Like 2

Do this,, Acme adapters make very inexpensive adapters for what you get,, i seen a diesel Zuki kit installed and it fit perfectly.

VW TDI mated to a Toyota 22R 5 speed (acme adapters). These motors are great for building power. Relatively new. Just look up how to delete the EGR physically (and telling the computer its gone), and wire it up. The engines stock application, they can easily achieve greater than 40mpg, while still passing somebody never dropping from 5th gear. Its already a car motor too.

Diesel engines for cars makes a lot of sense, just not the old ones which make no power compared to the modern day direct injection and common rail diesels.

But installing anything smaller than a Detroit Diesel 6V-92TT is being a pussy.

I think a patrol would need a little more engine, like the sd25 that they put in the scout.

SD33... and still slow.

Or he could build a TDI easily hitting equal 250hp and 250tq... But I think diesels are slow...