1977 620

zachariah768

Ok so this is my first post. I've searched this topic for a bit and couldnt find exactly what im looking for. I wanna get a lighter flywheel for my truck. I gotta 77 620 kc with a dog leg 5 speed manual. Its an l20b and its all stock except for the carb. It just revs so slow right now and feels so gutless. I heard you can slap a 280 flywheel in it which is lighter than my stock one. But I wanna know for sure before I dig into it. Feel free to throw in suggestions.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had mine lightened 10 years ago and have never had any problems. I had Top End Performance do it. They're in North Hollywood, CA. PH: (818) 764-1901. I too have a 620 KC with an L20B, so I'm sure they can help you out too.

Jersey.

Ok so this is my first post. I've searched this topic for a bit and couldnt find exactly what im looking for. I wanna get a lighter flywheel for my truck. I gotta 77 620 kc with a dog leg 5 speed manual. Its an l20b and its all stock except for the carb. It just revs so slow right now and feels so gutless. I heard you can slap a 280 flywheel in it which is lighter than my stock one. But I wanna know for sure before I dig into it. Feel free to throw in suggestions.

Your perception of revving slow is subjective and may or may not be true. The 620 is 500-600 pound heavier than a 610/710/A10 or S10 with the same motor. So keep this in mind that there may be nothing wrong.

Anything the engine has to spin absorbs energy, you get it back later but initially is is energy not available for acceleration. The heavy flywheel stores kinetic energy that's useful for getting the fully loaded weight of the truck moving from a stop. If you don't carry heavy loads regularly then the flywheel weight can be dropped slightly. Too low and you will have to rev to the sky and slip the clutch to get moving. My 620 flywheel was 29 pounds, the 280zx flywheel was 21 pounds as the L28 is more powerful and already has a heavier crankshaft weight spinning. I remember cars with 15 pound wheels being used and no ill driving effects 9-10 was way too low and for racing not in town driving. Keep in mind your truck weighs more than a car. Going from 29 down to 21 pounds should be fine.

You could also use an aluminum drive$haft, lighter alloy rim$ and smaller tire$ to reduce spinning mass.

What carb you have?

This is a good point as well. A new 32/36 weber carb will also perk up performance and easier to get at and change than a flywheel.

I have a 32/36 Weber that was on the truck when I bought it. It has stock wheels right now. I've thought about a different driveshaft. Mainly right now I just wanna be able to accelerate without having to put my pedal to the floor to have to get up to speed in a decent time. Im looking for power increase as well

Guest Rick-rat

remove your muffler so it will be loud, won't accelerate an faster but will sound like it does. is this a truck or a racing machine. I have an L16 in mine and it is gutless, but it gets me where I want to go, If you want to have something that will accelerate fast, get another car and build it for that purpose

Well you have a weber, I have a weber in my 520 project, I think it's a piece of shit or something, then I get in someone else's vehicle that has a weber and realize that there might not be anything wrong with my weber, as it is the best it's ever going to be, but then I see someone like Draudio in his wagon scream away from me and he also has a weber, I don't know what the deal is, but I can say this, I have dual SUs on my work truck with a stock cam and big valved head, with 437 gears in my dually rearend, I easily broke my 521 speedo needle off with the LZ23, and I could do the same thing with the L20b, it just took a little longer, dual SUs were the best carb  upgrade I ever have made in my Datsun life, the second best upgrade I ever made was going from an L16 to an L20b.

Are little trucks were never made to roast the rear tires, the only way your going to get that kind of performance is a combination of an exotic intake system(head included), and cubic inches or exotic block of which all of the mentioned are expensive.

You can put a built V8 in it, but all it will be good for is roasting the tires, and maybe straight line racing(1/4 mile), I don't believe I would like to drive it on a winding mountain road, but I could be wrong if it was built correctly, I would have to ask Bob if it was even possible.

• Like 1

yea I use to have a lowered toyota truck with a 22r carburated motor. And that could soon tires pretty good abd it felt wayy more powerful. I want expecting the same amount of power out of this truck but I also wasn't expecting this truck to ge as slugish as it is. I love my truck to death and I wanna make it look really good and get a bit more power out of it. Maybe a ka swap or an sr swap? I've thought about that as well. I don't want v8 power as ive seen you have to cut and fab a bunch if stuff which I dont have the tools to do.

If your looking for power you got the wrong truck IMO. This truck is slow but reliable that's honestly why I think they're popular. Unique and reliable. Slow and low!

yea I use to have a lowered toyota truck with a 22r carburated motor. And that could soon tires pretty good abd it felt wayy more powerful. I want expecting the same amount of power out of this truck but I also wasn't expecting this truck to ge as slugish as it is. I love my truck to death and I wanna make it look really good and get a bit more power out of it. Maybe a ka swap or an sr swap? I've thought about that as well. I don't want v8 power as ive seen you have to cut and fab a bunch if stuff which I dont have the tools to do.

Then drive and enjoy it while you sort out what you want to do with it. There is no magic bullet that will give you instant affordable power. If I gave you 10 extra hp, in a week you would want more, then more and still more. It's the nature of the beast. Think about an engine swap next year and research and plan for it now.

yea I use to have a lowered toyota truck with a 22r carburated motor. And that could soon tires pretty good abd it felt wayy more powerful. I want expecting the same amount of power out of this truck but I also wasn't expecting this truck to ge as slugish as it is

You do realize the 22r has 400 cc over the L20b right?  Maybe if you were comparing same size engines it would be more applicable .

Your comparing apples to oranges and hoping to get a watermelon torque wise.

You do realize the 22r has 400 cc over the L20b right?  Maybe if you were comparing same size engines it would be more applicable .

Your comparing apples to oranges and hoping to get a watermelon torque wise.

Correct.Even still it sounds like the OP wants power beyond a 4 banger's realm.