Forum newb and his 34K original miles '80 Datsun 720 4x4

Gradyfest

That is awesome Skyc110. That is what it comes down to, part numbers. Oh yeah Wayno, me and Skyc110 are kool. He's the good guy that sold me the mint grile and emblem. I testify to his business if anybody is wondering about buying parts from him (ships from our friends in Saudi Arabia.) He can even send you his lists of parts for sale for your application if you ask nicely.  :D

• Like 2
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know you had dealt with him before, I just know my deal with him went fairly smooth considering language barrier.

Still him just posting photos of the part helps a lot, now I know what to look for.

I found a lot more hard to find parts 4+ years ago than I do now, I suspect that the trucks are 3/4 years older, and have seen more multiple owners than they did back then, they just get more beat up as time goes by, there are lots of 90s Hondas in the wrecking yards right now with perfect parts, but 10 years from now they will not be in as good of shape, as they will be 10 years older.

A good example of this is that I used to find lots of good Datsun truck hubcaps in the wrecking yards, I have even found roadster hubcaps in good shape, I never find any good hubcaps anymore.

• Like 2

Please check the price on both the power doors complete and if they will ship to Phoenix? Business to business on the shipping. Also on the instrument cluster. Thank you Charlie.

You got it bro beans, I plan on going back tomorrow. I might just grab the gauges in the center console for spares while I'm their. PM me your cell and we can communicate faster and more efficient to get what you need tomorrow.  :) I've been following your truck thread, these doors would be perfect for it. These being power though, wouldn't you need some part of a wiring harness to get it all to work? I just want to make sure we get it all for you.

• Like 2

I just seen that post with the 720 power doors, Charlie needs a set of good power doors.

Why do folks have to always rip the top off them center consoles?

That truck has everything you need for the oil and volt gauges.

That's sad but funny at the same time that a 720 rim is holding up a 720, it likely was ruined, but be happy that you seen that after you had all the rims you needed, it would have sucked to see that while you were looking. 

• Like 2

Isn't it funny how things just come together sometimes! It's all perfect. Your thoughts really are your future. Charlie69 is going to get his doors and cluster with all the bells and whistles he's been thinking about, and look what I have coming to me! All thanks to denmarkboy who is putting together a nice 521 for me right now for Canby.  B)

imagejpg1_zps5a5b1e5c.jpg

imagejpg2_zpse6b670f8.jpg

• Like 3

There are 6 Datsun 720s in the portland/vancouver area, which most have been there over a month, and one Nissan 720 that has been there 5 days, only one in the whole area. :(

I might go to look at the 86 720 tomorrow, maybe buy a front brake upgrade.

Take some photos and post them here if you like Wayno. I love seeing 720s, even more so in yards, I wonder about there life. I don't know if such a thing exists on this site, but the Datsun 720 is going to be last Datsun truck in the yards forever, and the time is now to gather parts to keep them on the roads. Maybe a section to post yard finds? Actually I think I did see it but I'm to lazy to edit this by simply deleting... My sole purpose of taking those photos and posting them was to keep those parts alive on another vehicle and make another member happy. I am excited I might do just that. Karma is real. This is quite literally the one Datsun truck that is in just the right time of technology (internet mostly,) that guys like us can get the parts we need for each other from our local yards and keep more on the market and from the crusher! The last of them are hitting our yards now, let's hoard the good stuff for future generations! I guarantee good parts are assets in the long haul.  :hairy: <-- Me

• Like 1

Was there a good blue tray in that truck for you?

No blue tray. Denmarkboy sent me this photo showing the kick panel. It shows the screw holes that the tray bolts into factory plugged. So we came to the conclusion that it must of never came with one. :confused: So still looking for a nice blue tray... It's out there  :angel:

imagejpg1_zps669644b3.jpg

• Like 1

There is a thread called "Wrecking Yard Report" in the general section, it is pinned, it's for posting your finds in the wrecking yards, I used to post to it all the time, but when the prices went up around here I quit going as much, and then half the time I would forget my camera, and the rest of the time I am so busy looking that I forget to take photos.

I suppose that I also got over posting in that thread because there is really no response to the photos, at least not very often is there a response, mostly when I go now I am on a mission to get a part, I go get the part and then leave, lately I have not went unless there is a 520 or a 521 in the yard, which isn't very often anymore.

• Like 3

There is a thread called "Wrecking Yard Report" in the general section, it is pinned, it's for posting your finds in the wrecking yards, I used to post to it all the time, but when the prices went up around here I quit going as much, and then half the time I would forget my camera, and the rest of the time I am so busy looking that I forget to take photos.

I suppose that I also got over posting in that thread because there is really no response to the photos, at least not very often is there a response, mostly when I go now I am on a mission to get a part, I go get the part and then leave, lately I have not went unless there is a 520 or a 521 in the yard, which isn't very often anymore.

I just browsed that thread, it's a jumble. It's to many vehicles to cover in pages and pages of quotes. Finding the vehicle you're looking for takes to much time. If I was in charge I would pin that "Wrecking Yard Report" in each section of vehicle; 620, 720 etc. It would spur the sight more as maintaining and restoring is what all these classics require and parts are needed and wanted. I might be crossing an advanced members line, but I would take it to a vote. I'd be excited to check that everyday to see if someone found a part I was looking for. It would virtually multiply every members yard runs to span the Continent and ultimately keep more DATSUNS on the road! I know datzenmike will read this...  :mellow: I must sleep now.

• Like 1

The complete wiring harness would be needed to do the power door upgrade.  I have the harness section, but if cheap enough I would be interested in the complete harness the only problem is it takes a long time to pull the harness without cutting it.  One part of the harness you might get is the one that goes the the oil and temp sending units, the starter, and transmission.  This harness completely unplugs from the truck except at the starer and the alternator .  This harness will be needed by denmarkboy if he decides to run the oil pressure and the volt meter gauges.

Gradyfest thank you for your time.

No problem Charlie. I got your number and am trying to get out the door. I ran into a problem with the truck though. Yesterday while running my errand the truck would sputter and actually almost died at a stop sign. I ended up making it home but it was dark and I was over the day. Out there this morning I have diagnosed that I am getting what it looks like air bubbles in my fuel line. I know this because through my clear fuel filter I can visibly see what it looks like air bubbles passing through sometimes. Shortly after the bubbles past the fuel filter and hit the carburetor, that's when it sputters obviously. Every once in a while a big cluster or just a bigger bubble will come through and that's when it almost dies. I looked over the lines and checked hose clamps for tightness, also went all around the tank and followed the lines running to the engine bay, found no leaks. Does anyone know where air can get in the fuel system pre-fuel filter? Help!

• Like 1

Any black KC jumper seats and seatbelts fellas? Preferably with decent conditioned coverings?

Got an 81 n honestly need a whole new cab/floor but have nice rubber flooring(good for my 4x4) replacement seats from a Plymouth neon(line up to stock mounts) a cup holder/tray from Wal-Mart that fits perfectly behind the transfer case shifter, a decent faced dash with a decent cloth covering.... buuut... no rear seats... Never wanted em till I saw how they folded back on a junker n that I'd lose no storage room, but have the option to shove someone back there if necessary... now I wants.

• Like 2

I have had that issue and it turned out to be old cracked rubber lines. You couldn't tell unless you squeezed the line and then the cracks would show and fuel would come out. Also if the pump diaphragm is failing it might suck air. 

• Like 3

Gradyfest I do appreciate all the time you are spending.  I think you might enjoy junk yards as much as I do.

Doors were to hi priced for my budget and then ad shipping on top they were way more than I can buy in AZ.  I will have to wait for another set to appear here in AZ.  You are correct denmarkboy the gauge cluster I am getting from you will go in my 86.  Yes I am going to rock those jewels that the PO added to the cluster!

• Like 1

The only way I can see you sucking air through your fuel line is if a hose or steel line is cracked.  there should be a fuel filter back near the tank be sure it is good shape.  Does your fuel gauge work?

The fuel gauge works great. I haven't had a chance yet to figure it out. I know it's something small though. I think your absolutely right 2eDeYe, I plan on checking it all tomorrow. But I do have to run South and get some parts off that ST for some members and my buddy who just today, I helped buy his 720.

• Like 1

Gradyfest I do appreciate all the time you are spending.  I think you might enjoy junk yards as much as I do.

Doors were to hi priced for my budget and then ad shipping on top they were way more than I can buy in AZ.  I will have to wait for another set to appear here in AZ.  You are correct denmarkboy the gauge cluster I am getting from you will go in my 86.  Yes I am going to rock those jewels that the PO added to the cluster!

One of my favorite ways to spend a day is finding parts I, or others I know, need or want. Nothing is worse than seeing a good piece of a classic getting crushed. The parts will only grow in value and more importantly, they keep a vehicle someone loves on the road!

• Like 1

Ok, so I've spent the entire day on the road and got home way late; hence why I'm still wound up enough to be on here catching you friendly folks up on the 720 LIFE. And I still have more to share than time tonight. My 720 is down with shenanigans still and I wanted to get out. My Security Bravo leader is looking for a good truck and we planed on looking at one I told him about today. So I dusted off some keys, uncover, fire up, and got to drive "The Beast." Eight and a half miles per gallon later I'm at my Security guys house hours away. We take his rig hours farther away to look at the 720 I told him about from a Craigslist ad. It's one I wanted myself and was actually going to check out. But he deserves it and I already have one and can help him with it. I know he'll take care of it as well, and he is like me and wants to return It to stock, the best way. It is LITERALLY exactly what I have been looking for. I couldn't believe it. I've been dreaming of stoping the miles on the blue bomber by finding a 1980 (I want the reliable L20B) 720 2wd King Cab, 5 Speed, A/C, Rear Defrost, blue interior, blue exterior, the works, with all mint parts that my truck is lacking or needs to swap. I would then make that my daily driver and park the 42K miles 4x4 in my living room to slowly take apart and restore like a big rare Lego system. My next daily is still out there, I actually need something better for my back actually. I drove his back to his place and it was better than mine in ride, but I'm still in pain after all those miles. Is there a Datsun that rides like my old '84 Cadillac Deville or 1999 Nissan Maxima GLE?  Ok, enough talk. A little teaser of my buddies new proud possession for mow. It passed smog!  :frantics:

imagejpg1_zps2e7a9208.jpg

• Like 3

image_zpse5ad8206.jpg

One of the best days I've had in a while. Get out there folks, it's fun. Most the parts are for my buddies 720. I have him talked into starting a 720 thread about his already. I Just need to sit down and help him with it. Pics are building up for it already. My load today. The better cluster is for 84720FourWheel. Not photoed, I went back and got the other blue kick panel. They aren't bad at all except warped from water a little since being in the yard. To bad no one got to them sooner. They are the early paper ones and are in damn good shape for being 30+ years old. Most the paper ones I've seen are shit.

image_zpsdf00836f.jpg

This is for Charlie69, good karma!

• Like 2

Looks like you scored good,  It is way cool that your buddies 720 is blue also.  Man you are having fun.

I know when I get home from the wrecking yards that I had a great day because my clothes are so dirty I throw them in the garbage.  That is truly a good day at the wrecking yards.

• Like 1