Forum newb and his 34K original miles '80 Datsun 720 4x4

Gradyfest

Sorry to hear about the noise... You'll be able to remove it a lot quicker the second time around. Although it's never fun doing it twice..

Looks great though. You put a lot of time into it!

• Like 4
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You replaced the throw out, correct?

But since the noise occurs when the clutch is engaged leads me to believe that it's in the transmission. Get a mechanics stethoscope and leave her running up on a lift, search for the area where the sound is loudest.

I'd say it's the lower cluster bearing as that is the common failure point, but the low mileage makes be doubt that. I'd really want to make sure that I've got the culprit pinned before tearing back into it.

Nice job on the t-case, I need to do that eventually, the shift rod seal leaks on mine. I'm confused about what the companion shaft wrench was for.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I'm still hesitant on pulling the motor and have to fit the the time in. But while it's in the drive way I thought I'd fix the exhaust leak at the manifold. It's making it not fun to drive. I'm in the middle of pulling the intake and exhaust manifold bolts off right now. What a pain in the ass! Some of these bolts seem impossible. The 12mm swivel socket has been the hero of the day so far.

image_zpsycjyrbou.jpg

• Like 1

So I got as far as this. The intake is ready to come off but is connected by this EGR tube to the exhaust manifold. Both of these bungs are pretty corroded and I'm having trouble getting them loose. What a pain in the ass. I'm heading in town to get a line wrench for it. I'm not 100% on the size though. Wish I had a caliper...

image_zpszjpdl32q.jpg

• Like 1

I have it soaking now, I don't think I'm going to get this done tonight. I figured out that the lower bolt is a 24 mm. But my local Lowe's and O'Reillys don't carry a 24mm flare wrench. I guess I buy one online, or see if there is a snow balls chance in hell I can find this EGR tube and just cut it for now.

• Like 1