difference between 521 and 620

looked around and can't find a comparison or specs on a 521, I did find em for a 620 on davidmurphy.com/olddat/620 but I'd like to see dimension on a 521.

other than powerplant and drivetrain options the seem to be very close

thanks

javier

flat side and bullet side ?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

found another difference, correct me of I'm wrong since I'm a newb.

620 solid window, 521 has the little triagle vent window,  which I happen to like since when I was a kid my dad has an early vw bus with the same little windows, and his falcons too...

• Like 1

It's been my impression that the 521 and 620 differ mostly in outward appearance: fenders, cab, bed, and glass.  The 521 appears to be similar to the early 620 on frame, engine, transmission, drive train, etc.

• Like 1

Body bolts on a 521 are SAE sized, on a 620 they are metric.   Some parts will interchange, but the fasteners change.

rear wheel cylinders on a 620 are held with M8-1.25 studs and nuts.  On a 521 the wheel cylinder is held with 5/16-24 studs and nuts.

There are a lot of similarities on a 72 or 73 620 to a 521.  As you get later 620 trucks, there are more differences.

• Like 1

cool, thanks guys, I been looking for a 620, but found a decent 521 with the 2liter and 5 speed already in it so that's already a point on my favor. I'm not into the single headlight ones or the later 720's when they go square so I think the 521 might do.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always wondered if there is much difference between the 521 and 620 as far as interior dimensions - leg room and head room would be the important ones, although I suppose width across between the doors  would make the interior feel more or less roomy. I tend to think of a 521 cab as being smaller than a 620, but never have been able to compare the two side by side.

Len

521 is the sexist truck ever built better metal less plastic.The 620 is a plastic pile of shit and they made them for so long everyone has one and there grandma owns one. I am sure ill get blasted but I dont give a shit,the truth hurts.

Fuckkk... youuuuuu.

I've had both and the 521 is a tough looking, no nonsence, utilitarian brute. You can't break them and they are awesome when lifted on larger tires. If that's your definition of sexy, then I guess it is. I feel the 620 is all that, but far better looking in and outside, and more comefortable to drive. It's not a pile of shit, but neither is the 521.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...

Only if you fit the KC cab and make a short flatbed for it.

Otherwise, no. Wheelbase is the horizontal distance between the front and rear wheels.

520/521................................. 99.6"

620 std cab......................... 100.2"   Close enough to fit a 521 frame and have the wheels in the wheel wells.

620  KC and Long Box........ 109.6"   A 521 rear wheel will be 10" forward of the wheel well. Not going to work.

A '78 KC will fit a '76 IF it's another KC or Long Bed truck. If the '76 is a short wheel base truck it will have the same problem as a 521.