Opinions sought - going in for paint tomorrow

ktm

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would have to agree with TR8ER, gulf paint jobs look good when they have all the stickers on them, without them they kinda look unfinished

im digging that orange you already have, i would say repaint it the same orange with with black trim such as some black riveted look fender flares

with everything shaved side markers and such

but in the end its what makes you go look in the garage and smile that really matters

farmer

I agree.  Keep the combo you've got.  I like the gloss black hood with flat black racing stripe with an outline stripe around the racing stripe.  Paint the rockers flat black with outline stripe.  Put on some black ZG flares, and that would look sweet!  But I'm going to go one step further.  Your tires are too big.  They kill the look.  It kind of looks like a monster truck.  You need to downsize the tires one or two sizes and lower the car to match.  There is just too much rubber bulge sticking out past the rim. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the look of stretched tires, but a little smaller tire would go a long way here.

I've never been a fan of the Gulf colors or the scheme (and I'm a fan of the GT40).  But if your going to do it, you've got to replicate what the race cars had. The main color has to be the light blue, and the accent color as to be the orange.  Those two colors just don't work at all the other way around.  Here is a car that almost pulls it off, but I still think it failed:   http://www.gt-actionphotos.com/Opel/FP-Page1.htm

Really, I think my favorite part is the orange, but maybe that's just because I'm an "ass-man".  Because I do love the shape of "Dat ass"!  :rofl:

IMG_8683.jpg

IMG_8684.jpg

I hear you on the tires.  I got the tires and rim as a combo 5 years ago from a private party sale on Hybridz.  The tires were brand new and I could not justify buying new ones until these were worn out.  Saying that, I did not drive the car much until the last 2 years. Since then, I've worn out original rears (in 5k miles) and rotated, only to wear out the new rears in another 5k (lots of tire spinning from stop lights will do that).

They are 245/50 16's.  I want to go 235's if I can find them which will be perfect.  The car is sitting on 280z springs that I've cut, but once I go to a smaller tire I will need to cut them again.

I do appreciate all the opinions and the general consensus, from not only here, is to keep the original paint scheme.  The reason I am painting is because the paint is a 10 footer since I bought it 8 years ago and I've only nicked it to hell knowing I will be painting in the future.  There are a few small rust issues and some holes from a spoiler and old mirrors.

• Like 1

I was going to go the whole blue and orange route, but this is a driver.  I do not want to sink a ton of money into a color change since I know it will be chipped, etc. within a couple years of driving down here.

Again, your comments are really making me rethink the paint scheme.  I might just go with a respray of what I've got.  It looks good in photos, but in person you can see all of nicks, chips, dents. holes, etc. which are driving me crazy.

Bo,

Just go with the orange with black hood. Maybe some black flairs and go a little lower. Leave the front air dam as is. And add a rear spoiler in Black.

The gulf thing would be cool for a race car, But not for DD duty. Just my 02

• Like 1

Just where is your shop, just in case I need to tell the po-po where to look for my parts......

No decision yet.  I may have the car painted orange and then wrap the stripe parts.  If I don't like it, I can always peel 'em off.  Time for more photoshopping.

Btw John, do you know of anyone down in that area that can straighten bumpers?  The rear center piece is tweaked.

Just where is your shop, just in case I need to tell the po-po where to look for my parts......

No decision yet.  I may have the car painted orange and then wrap the stripe parts.  If I don't like it, I can always peel 'em off.  Time for more photoshopping.

Btw John, do you know of anyone down in that area that can straighten bumpers?  The rear center piece is tweaked.

My shop is right next door to Jake. I'm to the right of him as your facing his building. And the only place I know that can do bumpers is in Irwindale. 

Where in Irwindale?  I am at Azusa (Gladstone and Irwindale Blvd) 2 times a week or more lately.

It's on first street. From the 210 take Irwindale Blvd.  Go south to first st and bang a left. It's on the right at the end of the street.