Steroid's 4 door 620 !

Thank You for the comment!! Yes, I would really love to see it as a roadster. Maybe, just someday, I will find another truck (trip into Mexico anyone???) which I definately would remove the roof, fill the door handles and chop the windshield. Until then this will have to do. With that in mind I'm trying to play between a custom (the bed only) and a stock (saving the fender emblems, side marker lights and a stock grille revamped with Chevy Cavalier headlights) into a "did Datsun really make that?" phantom vehicle. Most people on the planet (Japan and U.S.A.) have never seen a fourdoor so the idea right now is to confuse them enough where they might think that it came from the factory at the minimum with the longbed. Then vintage dually rims and fenders added. But YES, a roadster would be awesome!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i was thinking your welding guru is obviously more than capable of using a couple or three regular 620 cabs or maybe a kc and a regular and putting them together in "factory" fashion. if i was gonna do it that's how i'd do it. seems like it'd be easier to register too... this is why i want to learn how to weld, i wouldn't mind spending a couple grand on a couple different trucks and spending a few months' worth of weekends making some crazy confusing totally custom "factory" four door 620 roadster. :D

what cavalier headlights are you referring to?

and could i request a direct side shot? i could use yours as a basis to photochop something.

damn that would be cool lookin

here's what i've been doin for the last 20 min or so... no need for the side shot now. i was gonna put in an interior, but i'm gettin hungry and .. well i'd rather eat something :) haha.

620fourdoor.jpg

did a lil body work and shaved your roof, handles and chopped that big ol' windshield haha

here's what i've been doin for the last 20 min or so... no need for the side shot now. i was gonna put in an interior, but i'm gettin hungry and .. well i'd rather eat something :) haha.

620fourdoor.jpg

A quatre porte cabriolet Datsun

Thanks. That looks COOL!! Sure looks longer that way!!

The bedrail idea is not Mine, though. It was first done on a gold Fontana truck in 1976. It has been done many, many times since. I have always wanted it on one of Mine and this project was the logical choice. What with the already long bullitsides, I just had to do it on thei truck. More suprizes, though, when it is painted!! You can see the gold truck on David's awesome website http://www.the620.com in the 70s flashback area at Solidad.

The Vega bumper, though, is My idea. I first did it on My Datsun SS in 1976. The bumper is a 1971-73 Chevy Vega wagon rear bumper. Good luck finding one though. I only have found 2 in the last 5 years. Here is My old Datsun SS and another truck that copied My idea, although with late 60's Pontiac Firebird taillights.

DatsunSSrear.jpg

blackVegarear.jpg

holy shit steroid... did you invent swapping taillights on a minitruck?

that bumper does look perfect on there... it's really interesting to me the trends that vehicles go through and mini trucks especially. i think i like trucks, and more so mini trucks, the most out of all vehicles because they are the perfect platform for every type of vehicle, a show truck, a race truck, a drag truck, a cruising truck, a hot rod truck... you can literally build anything out of a truck, any style, any use. and it's always nice to be able to throw a ton of shit in the back and still get around and everything, as long as you haven't gone and welded up your tailgate. :)

alright i'm done getting off topic, seriously did anybody do anything like that with taillights and bumpers on a mini truck before the 70's lil hustler craze? i know people had done it on other cars and whatnot... but was there even a custom truck scene before the 70's?

Wow, I hadn't thought about that but I guess (mini truck wise) that I was the first to do that. Surely in the 50s and 60s guys were changing stuff around. Once again, though, I did this to "cover up" an "ouch". If You look closely, You will see an "ouch" on the passenger's side rear bed corner. Yup, I backed into one of those cement light bases in the local cruise spot parking lot. Like I did on the frontend, while doing a powerslide at My corner where the sand would collect, My foot hit the gas pedal instead of the brake and I drove right into an oleiander bush. The front bumper was destroyed so I took sheetmetal to design the frontend (along with God only knows how much bondo!!). So in reality, I did both of those idea to replace broken parts with the idea being to have the truck be different than all the others at a show. I definately know that both ideas were a first at any show that I attended, so maybe You're right. Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, is Bullhead city close to I-40? I'm making another trip to Tx this year and would love to compare notes on the trucks.

Actually, I'd like to take some interior pictures of the rear to get an idea of how to do the back of my cab, since it is just single wall 'glass(if you don't mind).

Yes, about 23 miles north on 95. Any of You guys are welcome to drop by some day. I worked all day until an hour ago trying to get the dually done enough to take tomorrow to the body shop. Hopefully this will not be another "back burner" ordeal. I told them that I only had a 3 week window so I am praying that it will be done. I will now change My last week of vacation to the first of October as it surely looks like I am going to have a lot of 11th hour stuff to finish up before the 6th. Goodnight!!!!!!! I'm burned out. Oh yeah, it was 112 here today. I love wrenching in the heat!!!! See, I am nuts!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good news!!!! I stopped by the bodyshop today and they have really been getting a lot done!! I asked the guy, John, "the way that it is looking now, will it be finished outside in primer by the end of December?" He said "It's possable, but I won't promise". Folks, by what I saw they could have it cosmetically blocked and primered within 2 weeks. That would leave Me 2 full days to hang the bumpers, lights, grille, etc and it COULD make Reso!!! So let's see what happens. I'll get the dually rear fenders to them on Monday and that will be a big step in how the bedsides are blocked out. Maybe, just maybe the dually will be at Reso.

PS Can this thread be moved to "trucks", please?