Butterscotch. 510

Tigerbomb

a58b2266694d11e3be2e0e238a391eda_8.jpg

a9986722694a11e384461237b90e8f13_8.jpg

Finally got my hands on a 510 in good condition. Already compiled a to do list in order of importance. 

- Learn how to drive manual  :angel:

- replace fluids (car has been sitting a few months.) 

- fix rod knock issue. 

- install trunk lock 

- replace the two lights that illuminate the rear license plate (they don't light up) 

- Configure wiring to the power windows. or just plain take them out and bring back manual windows

• Like 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UV8xUw2.jpg

zNK4q9H.jpg

mcAFFQM.jpg

I have the door panels. I am going to remove the power windows and return it to the original crank. It just feels right. some wire clean up. Not worrying about a stereo yet because that is the least important thing right now. Horn doesn't work either. gonna have to check that out. 

XJcqUP7.jpg

The two big wires hanging are the automatic window switches. they gotta go. Gotta vacuum/clean the floor area just for my own sake of mind. Going to remove the center console that was put in. Just a pain in the ass. 

HSvwlUJ.jpg

A little things here and there (Rod Knock is priority #1) not perfect, but it's mine. It is my first car i bought and paid for. It is my top 3 cars of all time and i have one. I am more excited for the little things i am going to fix, the memories i am going to have and most of all, just the appreciation of the car overall. 

I got lucky and found one with a very good paint job and minimal rust (only found around door panels.) 

Thank you to James (510Keeper) for being very patient and helping me with questions. The guy is good peoples in my book. 

So excited man. 

Edit: Temp and Gas gauges don't work properly for some reason. got to fix that as well. 

• Like 1

Safety wise, i don't want to drive it yet ( i live on a hill) until i get the clutch adjusted, brakes checked out and get the issue with the throttle sticking out of the way first. I'm finding little things to add but before i can even drive it, get the safety stuff out of the way first, then onto my list of OTHER things. 

Doesnt crank? Doesnt fire?

Fuel. Air. Spark. Figure out which youre missing. 

So i'm pretty sure i found the reason. 

The wiring. 

The car seems to be on electrically when the key is not in the ignition at all. meaning, power windows work ect... when they shouldn't. The battery is being drained. The person who had this previously screwed with the wiring royally. It seems very few things are wired properly. What isn't wired correctly is...well the list is pretty long. Pretty much After i get the Clutch, Throttle and Brakes taken care of, and then investigate if it is truly rod knock, wiring is the next big project. 

As far as rod knock goes, the only solution is a engine rebuild? I researched and read i can repair it by replacing a bearing, but then i read you should rebuild the engine. Being that is the next big issue i need to start on, what is the opinion of those from Ratsun. 

Thanks for the help guys. 

Possible to just fix one bearing, but if you go that far, do them all.

Get a compression check done 1st....to see what your cylinder condition is, if compression is good you could just replace bearings.

If compression is low, then a whole rebuild or a good used motor.

Nice looking car, my 1st 2dr was this color...lol But not this nice. :thumbup:

Get a compression check done 1st....to see what your cylinder condition is, if compression is good you could just replace bearings.

Nice looking car, my 1st 2dr was this color...lol But not this nice. :thumbup:

Thanks man. My mechanic is gone until the 2nd of January. I have to know that one of my dream cars is IN my garage and i can't even drive it yet.  :sneaky:

Don't trip, man......it'll be totally worth it if you fix what's wrong THEN drive it.......

.....rather than drive it and have it strand you somewhere.......

Never heard of anyone changing just one bearing....

^^what he said.....

Sweet find!!.....that thing is in great shape!! :thumbup:

Where are you at??.....maybe I could help ya out??

• Like 1

Don't trip, man......it'll be totally worth it if you fix what's wrong THEN drive it.......

.....rather than drive it and have it strand you somewhere.......

Never heard of anyone changing just one bearing....

^^what he said.....

Sweet find!!.....that thing is in great shape!! :thumbup:

Where are you at??.....maybe I could help ya out??

Bay Area. Millbrae/Burlingame area.