Tigerbomb

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

554fd54a9e7611e3a27e12a69c9c5a8d_8.jpg

She lives. New Brakes, newmaster cylinder, clutch is fixed, throttle is fixed, battery issue fixed, gas gauge and temp gauge fixed. My speedometer isn't working. It bounces around big time.I'm researching on how to fix that

Now on to the biggest priority. Ka24de or get a rebuild L18

Now i know some will say off the bat, KA swap that baby, but this is my first car driving manually, never had a car with any power really. I feel like i got to learn how to walk before i learn how to run. I'm focusing on budget as well. Trying to plan it correctly. Talked to a Ratsun member today in person with a sweet goon with a KA swap and he broke down how easy the swap could be. The issue is, i'm not mechanically inclined or have the tools to do the swap myself.

The only question i really have as far as the L18 is, what are the bolt on options for performance if i go that route? I'm not sure ive heard of any performance upgrades with L18 motors. 

Glad to be back by the way. Been lurkin  :ninja:

• Like 1

If you haven't heard of performance options for the L18 you've had your ears plugged. :)

It is smaller and older technology than the KA tho so you likely won't make the same power but the L18 can be built into a fun little motor. Research weber carbs, SU carbs, sidedraft mikuni carbs. Then look at a camshaft upgrade, performance exhaust, ported head... Lots of things you can do to squeeze more fun out of it.

By the way the car is lookin good. Glad you are getting all the little issues fixed and not giving up on it.

If you haven't heard of performance options for the L18 you've had your ears plugged. :)

It is smaller and older technology than the KA tho so you likely won't make the same power but the L18 can be built into a fun little motor. Research weber carbs, SU carbs, sidedraft mikuni carbs. Then look at a camshaft upgrade, performance exhaust, ported head... Lots of things you can do to squeeze more fun out of it.

By the way the car is lookin good. Glad you are getting all the little issues fixed and not giving up on it.

Awesome information man. Thank you for that. 

Couldn't give up on this car man. Enjoy it too much. Hands down, the most fun car i've ever driven in. Haven't even gone on the freeway yet with it. Says a lot. 

Just stick with what you have and get it rebuilt, like you said your not very mechanically inclined and the swap may have your car down longer than you want. Also think about swapping an l20b with some mods.

I'm going to take your advice on this. Many others have told me also, stick with what i have. 

Question: Does anybody have any books/manuals for a 1972 510 i can buy? I'm trying to figure out where the unit for the horn goes. It was removed for some reason when i thought it was a wiring problem. 

Another question: Getting a L18 motor blueprinted entails what? Step by step process of the rebuild or getting it ready for modifications down the road?