620 operation santa speed

TheArtist

i'm brand new to this form but not new to the modding word. here is my story, my future father in law has been looking for a 620 for over a year now and i came upon one with a super strait body (only thing i care about). i took the dive and bought it for 1000. it runs, lowered, 5 speed, good interior and the body is strait. 

my plans for this truck are to swap in a KA, the L20 is bad plus more power is never a bad thing. interior is good so ill be leaving that alone, paint will be updated and surface rust will eliminated. 

not that big of a deal to only do two things but i need to have this done before christmas so i can surprise him with his new truck. so within 3 weeks i will have a full engine swap and a new paint job.

i will probably need troubleshooting help along with suggestion are always welcome. i typically never talk about or document my projects but i feel like he would enjoy looking at this once its done to see the process and transformation that has happened.

a6522dc8-16e5-4b34-8f10-a3f7558bdedb.jpg

76d5f30a-b1e8-4082-94f7-d3721d641284.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed your in California.  Make sure you do the swap proper with paperwork and what not threw DMV since this is not a pre-smog truck.  Nothing worse than getting it all done to not be able to drive in the streets due to smog.  

Otherwise WELCOME!  I remember this for sale on CL a little back.  Looks like a great truck.  Someone on here makes KA mounts for the 620, unless you have the time to fab some up.  Lots of great information to be had just reading some swaps.  

Will be watching your build.  BTW what are you going to do with the engine and trans??

I have wondered what happened to that truck. I looked at buying it about 10 years ago, it was for sale in Newberg, Oregon. Was only for sale for a couple of weeks where I was looking at it and then I never saw it again. Does it still have the chrome G.M. style car rally wheels on it too?

Already bought the can am box, 620 to KA motor mounts, and all that jazz. Truck will be bared so the swap will be legal. Engine is smog ready so just have to go get it all legalized.

If you're asking about the engine and tranny I'm taking out I don't really know. I have my own 74 620 that I'm restoring but I'm think I want a little more power. 5.0 power!! Anyway if someone wants the engine I'll gladly sell it for a good price. I'll make a vid before I pull the engine out.

well i got a new key for my ignition and stated this bad boy up, it ran but would not idle and i confirmed that it is only running on 3 cylinders. 

did a good look over on the truck and there will be a good amount of body work needed to complete this truck paint wise. luckily its all on the bed which is where the water could pool up and cause rusting. i went around today and scraped off all the chipping paint and will be sanding tomorrow to get a good base for some bondo after i spray the rust. it typically takes me a week to paint a car, jams and everything. i dont have time to do the engine bay but ill add some white accents to match the white bay. 

color wise i think im going to go with a steel blue color, this will have to be custom made because i have no clue how much blue pear was added over the viper gray to achieve this color. its going to be close enough though, this is the color.

5308037c-4676-46fa-b99b-142b042809bc.jpg

well todays update, i received the paint yesterday. looks pretty dang close to the picture above so thats good news for me. i managed to pull the engine out today, from start to finish it only took me 5 hours. not too bad, its freezing here in sacramento! it actually snowed today wiich rarely ever happens here.

just waiting for my KA to be pulled from the a friends s14 which will happen this monday. i dont really see anything too difficult happening with dropping the KA in. total cost for this build so far has reached a grand total of $2400 not that bad for what its going to become.

• Like 1

haha you have no idea, this freezing weather is not helping at all!! painting wise it will only take me 3 days. im pretty good at that, been doing it for 8 years now so i know my time line pretty well. i bought everything i need for the engine swap and that canam box should make my wiring pretty easy. we shall see though, hoping for the best right now

• Like 2

well my deadline is no more. my dad has been battling leukemia for the last 3 months and he is finally ready for a bone marrow transplant. praise the lord he found a match but that means ill be taking care of things around the house for my mother and ill be running the family business by myself.

none the less im pushing my date out to January 15 for have this thing finished.

• Like 3

well my deadline is no more. my dad has been battling leukemia for the last 3 months and he is finally ready for a bone marrow transplant. praise the lord he found a match but that means ill be taking care of things around the house for my mother and ill be running the family business by myself.

none the less im pushing my date out to January 15 for have this thing finished.

Hey that's a big deal.  Congratulations.  I'm on the Be The Match registry.  Glad he found a match.

• 3 weeks later...

thats awesome that you're on the list! any way we can help those in need should be mandatory in life. its not that big of a deal to donate bone marrow. all is going well with my dad and i found a little time to work on the truck.

wasn't intending to paint the engine bay but i guess i always have a way of making things work out for some reason. ill post up before and after pictures tomorrow and i think i'm going to do a little rising sun action on the inside of the hood. is it a SIN if i do the base the color of the truck and the sun/rays white? 

yes it does, tried this earlier with another engine bay i painted, it worked so well that i just had to do it again with this one. super cheap and does the job. i was trying to get the motor in today but im having such a hard time getting the throw out bearing onto the clutch fork. ive given up for today, nothing sucks more when you need help and nobody is around.

im dumb and was putting the clip in wrong, anyway i was determined to get this engine in tonight and thats just what i did.

THE ENGINE IS IN!!!

im so excited right now by what i accomplished today, i also picked up a new set of wheels for the truck 15x8.5 i think they will clean up nicely. not sure if ill keep them that color or do a matte black on them, one has some bad rash so it might just be easier to do the matte

691d2490-23ff-4f06-9635-44bfe33269e5.jpg